Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Diesels

Old 10-22-2007, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The JK in europe comes with the 2.8CRD, but they said its not the same as the Liberty 2.8, still VM but new design.
But this could be saleman BS, as i havent been able to confirm this anywhere.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I reckon it is probably the same basic engine except for one difference. The American Liberty 2.8CRD is built for running on the old type of diesel oil and the European 2.8CRD is built for ULSD. I can't imagine Chrysler wasting money on a new VM design when they could buy a better engine from Daimler, VW, Cummins etc. I don't know for certain, this is just a guess.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vince
I reckon it is probably the same basic engine except for one difference. The American Liberty 2.8CRD is built for running on the old type of diesel oil and the European 2.8CRD is built for ULSD. I can't imagine Chrysler wasting money on a new VM design when they could buy a better engine from Daimler, VW, Cummins etc. I don't know for certain, this is just a guess.
I will go along with the VW being a good motor but why do people think because it is Cummins it must be good.They have made some terrible motors like the M11(truck motor) the early 8.3 litre , the early Signature 600 (they sorted out the signature)and if you go back a few years the V8 555 and the VT190.All those motors cost truck operators money.
But I cant understand why some people think because it is Cummins it must be good .The VM in my JK is a very nice motor and it gos real good .Even better now cos it is getting a few miles on it.
But saying that if I had a choice between a VM and a VW (the crd 2.5 l they put in the Transporter vans)I would probably pick the VW but the VM is still real good.
The Japs and the American manufacturers still have a long way to go in catching the europeans in Diesel technology you couldnt even mention Cummins in the same breath as VW ,BMW ,Audi,Puegeot ,Merc etc etc when it comes to these smaller CRD motors the euros are so far ahead in technology.
As for the 2.8 VM in the Cherokee(Liberty)and the JK I belive it is a bit different to comply to Euro 4.
But when I comes to Big Diesels there is only 1 and that is CAT.
Volvo think they are good and so do Scania but CAT is the way to go.
But my all time Fav in the big diesels is the Old v8 Mack motor and the 903 v8 Cummins .Just because they sound like a V8 is supposed to sound like.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Talking

SUBWOLF thank you for the link...... I loved the info.... I really appreciate you taking the time to post it
Old 10-28-2007, 02:16 AM
JK Newbie

The Jk-VM has piezo-injectors, which the KJ has not. This means more injections possible and more precise.

They made the VM also fit the particle-filtre, which is at least in Germany necessary. They did this well, as I know that VW, for example, had problems with their injection-system AND particlefiltre, so they will change to commonrail now.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sydney kiwi
The Dodge Nitro is avil in Aust with the same motor(2.8 VM )but 460 NM of torque.
My info is that the transfer case in the JK cannot handle that sort of torque so it has been down rated for that reason.
My info is that this issue will be fixed in the 08 model and the JK will be uprated in power.(to the same as the Nitro or more)
I asked Startech, the official German Jeep tuning supplier (part of Brabus), and they said they would not offer a performance kit for the Wrangler diesel as the gearbox could barely handle the toque in standard tune.
Not very reassuring.......
Old 10-28-2007, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Assuming the following for the manual diesel JK:-

NVG 231 transfercase in the diesel JK is rated at 2556 Nm
1st gear ratio is 4.46:1
The Diesel JK peak engine torque is 409 Nm

The transfercase would be seeing at worst 409 Nm x 4.46 = 1825 Nm input torque.

Working backwards, the transfercase could handle an engine delivering 2556 Nm / 4.46 = 573 Nm output torque.

I reckon the stock transfercase has enough guts to deal with a 40% increase in engine torque. But I don't know if the rest of the driveline could. Maybe some of the diesels didn't have a D44 rear axle?
Old 10-28-2007, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by castellar
I asked Startech, the official German Jeep tuning supplier (part of Brabus), and they said they would not offer a performance kit for the Wrangler diesel as the gearbox could barely handle the toque in standard tune.
Not very reassuring.......
I looked on their website today and found this:-

'The new Wrangler generation for the first time includes a model with diesel engine. The STARTECH motor engineers are currently developing the STARTECH SD 4T tuning module for the 2.8-liter (171 cu. in.) common-rail turbodiesel engine.'

Perhaps they changed their minds.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D'sjk
Does anyone know of any shops putting the grand cherokee engine into the wrangler?
You could give Burnsville Offroad a call, they put a Liberty diesel in a TJ before. http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/Articles/05_11_08.aspx
Old 10-30-2007, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

I spoke with Dan at Burnsville at length about this topic ....

His reply was " the diesel in the Liberty is too scarce to find to be practical" and He said he bought a Grand Cherokee Diesel so he could take the motor to put into his JK and ..." It ended up being a very difficult swap cause you have to use most of the Grands electronics....ie the entire dash cluster and wiring had to be modified to fit into the JK...:"

So you have to spend an additional $40000 for the Grand C just to chop it up and throw it away...........

He ended up removing all promotional wording relating to the diesel swaps...." not gonna consider it for now; cause He has enough Hemi swaps to keep him and his new shop busy for the next 12 months"

THE QUOTES ARE TO THE BEST OF MY RECOLLECTION FROM 30+ DAYS AGO

Quick Reply: JK Diesels