Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Diesels

Old 10-20-2007, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure if it's new news or not but there is an interesting article about the new Cummins 4.2L V6 and 5.6L V8 on Diesel Power Magazines website. Maybe we will finally see a diesel in the US with the Cummins 4.2L in the Wrangler for 2009 or 2010? The V6 weighs 663 pounds, relatively light for a diesel of it's size and is rated at 270hp/420 lb-ft, sounds like a perfect match for the Wrangler to me!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SubWolf
Maybe we will finally see a diesel in the US with the Cummins 4.2L in the Wrangler for 2009 or 2010? The V6 weighs 663 pounds, relatively light for a diesel of it's size and is rated at 270hp/420 lb-ft, sounds like a perfect match for the Wrangler to me!
And to me. Cummins have a far better reputation for building great diesel engines than VM does. Cummins already has an established worldwide manufacturing, service and support infrastructure which would also benefit their Complete Knock Down (CKD) kit business for overseas markets that are assembling civilian or military vehicles locally.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:16 PM
JK Freak

Hey subwolf !!!......I am a subscriber to Diesel Power Mag and I just spent 1 and half hours on Diesel Power website but nothing on these engines.....would love to read the article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me the thumbnail or what searchwords you used???????????????
Old 10-21-2007, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Franco
Well...I drive diesel since the beginning!

A diesel engine can dive completely anstill turnuing!

Beside this, the diesel VM mounted on the JK is really noise quiet, has more torque than a gasoline and is less fuel drinker!

Yesterday I had my ignition software modified...210 horse power....510 kgm of torque at 1780 rpm and even more less thirsty!

I have to say...diesel all life long!!
The Dodge Nitro is avil in Aust with the same motor(2.8 VM )but 460 NM of torque.
My info is that the transfer case in the JK cannot handle that sort of torque so it has been down rated for that reason.
My info is that this issue will be fixed in the 08 model and the JK will be uprated in power.(to the same as the Nitro or more)
As for all this talk about bigger moters and the like. I think that the motor and the amount of power I get in my deisel JK is just fine and I dont think I need or want anymore than the VM is giving me.The VM is a very nice motor and I am more than happy.Mine is a 2 DR so a bit more power in the 4 DR may be helpful but maybe not needed.
I did a trip to Melbourne and back the other day ,about 2000 k and it performed very sweet.

Last edited by sydney kiwi; 10-21-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HULKGREEN
Hey subwolf !!!......I am a subscriber to Diesel Power Mag and I just spent 1 and half hours on Diesel Power website but nothing on these engines.....would love to read the article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me the thumbnail or what searchwords you used???????????????
Type the following in Google and it will be the first website displayed; "diesel power mag cummins 4.2L v6"

I would put a direct link but I am not sure thats allowed on this forum... (Whole sponsor/ non-sponsor thing.)
Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sydney kiwi
The Dodge Nitro is avil in Aust with the same motor(2.8 VM )but 460 NM of torque.
My info is that the transfer case in the JK cannot handle that sort of torque so it has been down rated for that reason.
My info is that this issue will be fixed in the 08 model and the JK will be uprated in power.(to the same as the Nitro or more)
As for all this talk about bigger moters and the like. I think that the motor and the amount of power I get in my deisel JK is just fine and I dont think I need or want anymore than the VM is giving me.The VM is a very nice motor and I am more than happy.Mine is a 2 DR so a bit more power in the 4 DR may be helpful but maybe not needed.
I did a trip to Melbourne and back the other day ,about 2000 k and it performed very sweet.
If the VM 2.8L was available in the United States for the Wrangler I would buy one now, but it disappeared in 2006 (Liberty CRD) because it will not meet the new 2007 emissions standards. I have heard there is supposed to be a new 2.8L VM Motori motor that is cleaner burning but I don't believe it is on track for US approval yet... and with General Motors buying a 50% stake in VM Motori it's really unlikely we will see their motor back in the U.S. Jeep lineup.

Of course this is all guesswork and conjecture... It is conceivable that Jeep will keep exporting Wranglers with the VM 2.8L CRD, and give us Americans a crack at the Cummins.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sydney kiwi
Interesting. Jeep gave this excuse for not installing the 242 in the European diesel XJ and all came with a 231 instead.

The Hummer H1 had the 242AMG case, stronger, but still a 242 coupled to a 6.2L diesel.

A friend of mine swapped out his 231 in his diesel XJ for a 242 a couple of years ago and has had no problems with it offroad other than breaking D35 axle shafts, but he was doing that with the 231 as well.

If the transfercase really is not up to the job, why not just fit the 242AMG case.

Last edited by Vince; 10-22-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SubWolf
If the VM 2.8L was available in the United States for the Wrangler I would buy one now, but it disappeared in 2006 (Liberty CRD) because it will not meet the new 2007 emissions standards. I have heard there is supposed to be a new 2.8L VM Motori motor that is cleaner burning but I don't believe it is on track for US approval yet... and with General Motors buying a 50% stake in VM Motori it's really unlikely we will see their motor back in the U.S. Jeep lineup.

Of course this is all guesswork and conjecture... It is conceivable that Jeep will keep exporting Wranglers with the VM 2.8L CRD, and give us Americans a crack at the Cummins.
Why does Jeep still offer the grand cherokee CRD but they couldn't improve the liberty enough to countinue the CRD in the US?

Better question is why did they put the diesel in the Grand Cherokee before the wrangler!!!???

One thing is for certain once they offer the Wrangler in a diesel I am trading!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D'sjk
Why does Jeep still offer the grand cherokee CRD but they couldn't improve the liberty enough to countinue the CRD in the US?

Better question is why did they put the diesel in the Grand Cherokee before the wrangler!!!???

One thing is for certain once they offer the Wrangler in a diesel I am trading!!!
Because you're talking about two completely different engines. The Liberty had the VM 2.8L CRD, which is old technology incapable of meeting US CAFE standards. Chrysler dropped it because 1- it would cost too much to redesign it and 2- because they were already spending the money on the new technology Bluetech 3.0L CRD.

Now that Chrysler has entered into an agreement with Cummins, not only is the VM CRD not coming back, the Bluetech CRD will probably be mothballed soon too.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

The new Cummins engines look good but it's a shame they missed an ideal opportunity to incorporate some new technology. All those belt driven ancilliaries could have been designed out and replaced with gear driven bolt on 'cartridges'. They have done a fantastic job embedding the turbo but they could have really leaped forward by getting rid of the starter motor and alternator by using a printed circuit flywheel motor/regenerative braking system.

I also think they need a smaller engine in the range that can achieve more than 30mpg, something between 2.5L and 3.0L.

Quick Reply: JK Diesels