Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Diesels

Old 10-11-2007, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They need a diesel to meet the CAFE fuel economy standards.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Sponsor

I did finish the 3.0 CRD JK we were working on. It will be at SEMA in the Katzkin booth. It pulled that 4 door right along even with 35" tires on it. Alot faster than our JK with the 2.8 CRD swap.
Dan
Burnsville Offroad
Old 10-17-2007, 09:32 PM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

My 2.8L CRD has 177hp / 400nm torque. So Franco did your come out with 200hp from factory ? I thought they all are same here in EU.
Happy anyway with this, no need to have more power. Does all it needs to, on offroad also. My average seems to be 10,3 liters / 100km with 285/75-16. Depends off course how we drive.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Sounds like Wrangler Diesels may be available in Canada as soon as late next year...
__________________________________________________ _____________

Posted Oct 3, 2007, 04:25 PM by Mike Ellis

More diesel engines, and other fuel-saving technologies, are in the works for Chrysler in Canada, says Reid Bigland, the President and CEO of Chrysler Canada.

Bigland, in a recent piece published in the Windsor Star in Windsor, Ontario, said the company is exploring using its 3.0-liter V6 diesel in other vehicles for the North American market. Chrysler is also considering a four-cylinder diesel for North America, he said.

Reid Bigland, President and CEO of Chrysler Canada

“Over the three-year period through 2009, Chrysler is introducing 20 new and 13 refreshed vehicles including a greater percentage of diesel-powered and small vehicles,” Bigland wrote.

The benefits of diesel are huge - a 30 per cent improvement in fuel efficiency and up to a 20 per cent reduction in CO2 emissions, compared to an equivalent gasoline engine.

Currently, Chrysler’s diesel offerings in North America include the Jeep® Grand Cherokee diesel; the Dodge Sprinter diesel; and the Cummins diesel-powered Dodge Ram Heavy Duty.

In addition, consumers will also see better fuel economy with the introduction of mild hybrids and more small and subcompact models, Bigland said.

Below, we’ve included a portion of Bigland’s comments from the Windsor Star:

In Canada, 2007 has been an especially positive year for Chrysler with continuous sales growth dating back to 2006. This growth, primarily driven by our new line of compact vehicles, has elevated Chrysler to become the No. 2 seller of cars and trucks in Canada. This year, we continue to see vehicles like the Dodge Ram and Jeep Wrangler win over new customers.

Over the three-year period through 2009, Chrysler is introducing 20 new and 13 refreshed vehicles including a greater percentage of diesel-powered and small vehicles. And we are investing $3 billion dollars in new fuel-efficient powertrains - engines, transmissions and axles - to support our new products.

Here are the key technologies, including a bigger push into diesels and hybrids, coming from Chrysler to meet that challenge:

And we are currently in the development of an all-new family of V6 engines that will feature Chrysler's patented Multi-Displacement System currently increasing fuel economy in our legendary Hemi V8 engines. MDS allows the engine to operate with half the cylinders shut down when less power is needed, and all cylinders firing when more power is required. This seamless transition optimizes fuel economy without sacrificing vehicle performance or capability.

Another big opportunity for Canadians is in the area of new advanced clean diesel technology. Along with great power and low-end torque, this new diesel technology will provide up to a 30-per-cent improvement in fuel efficiency and up to a 20-per-cent reduction in CO2 emissions, compared to an equivalent gasoline engine.

Chrysler's current diesel lineup includes: Jeep Grand Cherokee, with an award-winning Mercedes-Benz turbodiesel engine; the Dodge Sprinter; and the Cummins diesel-powered Dodge Ram Heavy Duty. After 2009, we will introduce an all-new Cummins turbodiesel engine in our light-duty Dodge Ram pickups.

We see a continued expansion of our diesel products in the North American market. In fact, we are exploring additional application of our 3.0-litre V6 diesel engine, and the possibility of a four-cylinder diesel.

Another technology in the Chrysler powertrain lineup will be the next generation of hybrids. As part of our joint venture with General Motors, Daimler and BMW, our two-mode hybrid system leapfrogs current technology by addressing inefficiencies that exist with traditional hybrid technology. The result will be a 25-per-cent improvement in fuel efficiency overall and a nearly 40-per-cent improvement fuel efficiency for city driving.

In 2008, our two-mode hybrid system, mated to the 5.7-litre Hemi with MDS, will be available in both the Dodge Durango and the Chrysler Aspen. Moving forward, we will look to expand our two-mode hybrid to other vehicles, and to bring to market mild-hybrid technology. Mild hybrids provide some of the benefits of full-hybrid technology, with less of the cost/weight penalty incurred by a full-hybrid drivetrain.

All of these efforts demonstrate that Chrysler is working with a real sense of urgency to further improve fuel efficiency across our lineup. Our powertrain upgrades and innovations demonstrate that we are making the investments necessary to pave the way for future success by delivering vehicles that meet the needs of our Canadian Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge customers.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Troyster
Too bad they dont have the Rubicon in a Diesel yet otherwise I would have one of those.

Cheers
Troyster OZ :toung:
Actually, you can buy left hand drive 2.8CRD Rubicons in both 2-door and 4-door variants in Belgium http://www.jeep-wrangler.be/download...r_price_nl.pdf
Old 10-19-2007, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Henri
what about doing a swap w/the liberty diesel? would it work?
That's basically what the European diesel JK is, it's the same 2.8CRD motor.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpaddict
They need a diesel to meet the CAFE fuel economy standards.
I have not read the CAFE standards, so I don't know what mpg or L/100Km is required for a JK to comply. As far as emissions go, Jeep sell a diesel JK in Switzerland which has a 'partikel' filter as standard equipment. I have one.

You know those guys that came up with that unproven theory about atmospheric C02, The United Nation's IPCC, their home is in Switzerland. The Swiss worry a lot about vehicle pollution but they sell lots of Jeeps here even though there's nowhere to drive offroad. If Jeep can make a JK that can be sold in Switzerland, they must be able to make one that can be sold in at least some US states.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ColoradoJeep06
In the Jeep magazine a few months ago there was a blurb about the new 3.0CRD in the JGC. They mentioned that since it was turbocharged that it kept its power better than the regular aspirated gas engines.

Since I live in Colorado, I thought that was really interesting. I sent an email to Chrysler thru their website asking what the hp and torque ratings were for the 4.7, 5.7hemi, and 3.0CRD at 6000 and 12000 feet. They replied that they didn't have the info, so I asked for whatever high altitude info they had. They replied that they didn't have any?

I asked if they didn't have any, how could they make the more power claim in the write-up. Nothing back after that.

My avatar is from the Weston Pass at 11,900 feet, so this is not an academic question.
The first time I ever drove any sort of altitude was on the '50' between Colorado Springs and Moab in my European 4.0L XJ. On some of those grades I reckon a mountain biker could have got up there faster. Loads of semis were passing us at speed. Anyway, I have had my diesel JK over the Furkapass in snow and it didn't even notice it was at 8,000ft, just kept on going.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Zee
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Vince
The first time I ever drove any sort of altitude was on the '50' between Colorado Springs and Moab in my European 4.0L XJ. On some of those grades I reckon a mountain biker could have got up there faster. Loads of semis were passing us at speed. Anyway, I have had my diesel JK over the Furkapass in snow and it didn't even notice it was at 8,000ft, just kept on going.
Was the JK that set the altitude record a diesel?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm fairly certain they had the V6 gasoline motor.

Quick Reply: JK Diesels