Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Diesels

Old 09-10-2007, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Major Ho
Do they sell the diesel version in Canada?
I would really considering driving up to pick up a diesel rubi barring any border laws.
Even if they had one, this is illegal to do, as far as I know. You couldn't register it, etc.

-E
Old 09-11-2007, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's illegal. I know we Canadians import new and used cars from the US all the time. They just need to registered and inspected, and they need the DRLs and what not added. Better have those doors on during the inspection too, running with them off is illegal, at least in B.C.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

Do yall recon editor Frank Cappa at JP Magazine has any idea what he is talking about or is his goal to sell magazines? In his editorial, he believes that the '09 JKs will have a diesel option. Will this happen? He made metion that Cummins and an Asian diesel engine builder has set out on a 50/50 joint venture to build these engines. Do yall think this will happen?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do yall recon editor Frank Cappa at JP Magazine has any idea what he is talking about or is his goal to sell magazines? In his editorial, he believes that the '09 JKs will have a diesel option. Will this happen? He made metion that Cummins and an Asian diesel engine builder has set out on a 50/50 joint venture to build these engines. Do yall think this will happen?

I read that today. I'll tell you what, I'm going to put my mods on hold for now, pending verification of this. If a diesel becomes available in 09, I won't hesitate to trade up for a new JK.
For now, I'll continue to BUY mods, but will hold on putting then on until we hear more about the 2009 Wrangler.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 09-20-2007, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DanW
While I don't know the answer, I suspect it has mostly to do with marketing studies. People still remember Detroit's (GM's) attempt at diesel engines in the 80's. Smokey, noisy and unreliable. They also look at their local gas stations and how few of them pump diesel. So, the perception from most automakers is American's aren't interested in diesel. We prefer big gas engines.

My personal opinion is there's a large number of consumers who, like myself, would welcome small diesels. If automakers offer them, I think they'd find many more like me. Look at Jeeps CRD Liberty. IIRC, they anticipated a 5000 unit test run. They sold over 10,000. But, that engine didn't meet the 2007 US diesel emission requirements and Chrysler apparently didn't believe the market was big enough to invest what it would take to get it to meet those requirements.
That's not true in the case of Jeep. Jeep had the Liberty CRD 2.8L and now they've got the 3.0L CRD in the Grand Cherokee. So they've got the engine, they just put it in the wrong vehicle. Soccer mom's don't like noisy diesels in their Grand Cherokee. Red Blooded American Males (RBAM's) like anything that has gajones - the noisier the better - especially if it involves hearing the boost.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpudRacer

I read that today. I'll tell you what, I'm going to put my mods on hold for now, pending verification of this. If a diesel becomes available in 09, I won't hesitate to trade up for a new JK.
For now, I'll continue to BUY mods, but will hold on putting then on until we hear more about the 2009 Wrangler.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Well don't have the patience to hold off on mods but if that comes true and we see a diesel wrangler in 09 might have to trade up

P.S. Come on DCX lets see a diesel wrangler....at least as a special order option hell I'd wait for one....
Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 PM
JK Newbie

You guys just don't know what you are missing out on!

I have had my 2.8L CRD JK now for just a week now. It's running 33's and still pulls like a train from 1,500 to 2,500 RPM.

Offroad, in 4L, well, it just idles up anything, no probem at all!

Love it.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AusJK

I have had my 2.8L CRD JK now for just a week now. It's running 33's and still pulls like a train from 1,500 to 2,500 RPM.

Love it.
U got to rub it in...dont u?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98gp
It's "John" Cappa.....and yes, he probably has a good inside as to what engines will be available for '09......and it sounds like it will be a Cummins.
I've know, John for a while and he is full of shit most of the time but wouldn't feed his readers a bunch of it about this kind of thing.

Also, I work for Freightliner and work very closely with Cummins every day. Rumor is that one of their divisions is gearing up for this segment of the market and are working with Jeep on future plans.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AusJK

Love it.
Pfft you keep that 2.8L, I want that 3.8L there are talking about.

Quick Reply: JK Diesels