Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Diesels

Old 08-04-2007, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW
While I don't know the answer, I suspect it has mostly to do with marketing studies. People still remember Detroit's (GM's) attempt at diesel engines in the 80's. Smokey, noisy and unreliable. They also look at their local gas stations and how few of them pump diesel. So, the perception from most automakers is American's aren't interested in diesel. We prefer big gas engines.

My personal opinion is there's a large number of consumers who, like myself, would welcome small diesels. If automakers offer them, I think they'd find many more like me. Look at Jeeps CRD Liberty. IIRC, they anticipated a 5000 unit test run. They sold over 10,000. But, that engine didn't meet the 2007 US diesel emission requirements and Chrysler apparently didn't believe the market was big enough to invest what it would take to get it to meet those requirements.
The terrible GM diesel was the oldsmobile 5.7. That was a POS. The Detroit Diesels were much better.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepster
We don't use high sulfur diesel in the US any more (exception Alaska) US required all Diesel fuel be Low sulfur as of Oct. 15, 2006...most diesel stations had it by Dec. 2006.

The main issue we have is that the US emissions standards for Diesel is more stringent than that of Europe...regarding CO2 and NO/NO2 and particulates (5 of the 50 states states anyway) this is why the european manufturers are working on Emissions systems like Urea (Bluetec), particulate canisters and direct injections...more efficient and less particulates. The main issue is that the new emissions sysems and higher tech engines cost more money and if there is no current market share for diesels why invest in production itooling, etc if it ends up sitting on a lot or sells to 2-3% of the market. That is why the only jeep offering is on the Grand Cherokee...premium product.

I think that chrysler is missing the boat as this will be an emerging trend in the U.S market...makes sense for higher mpg, (when you compare fleet mpgs) and ease of transition for our infrastructure vs. electric, hydrogen etc. Utilizing the 3.0 Bluetec from mercedes or their relationship with Cummins is already proven and in their product offerings and could provide JEEP with a unique proposition...the only (or first) brand to offer a diesel solution in each of their models.

I am hoping that Cerebus is able to see the benefit in the long term and that outweighs any concerns about initial sales. It is going to be up to the Enthusiast community to demand such offerings...as we are usually the return customers

I think you hit the nail right on the head!!

We [USA] now have ULSD [15ppm Sulfur] fuel at the pump and the manufacturers are working hard on DP filters and the like to make even the toughest states happy.

This was a change-over year for diesel fuel and, if memory serves, even the diesel liberty was dropped for 2007. My guess is that starting this fall we will see more and more US models offered with a diesel engine option. How long it will take to see one in a JK is still an educated guess at best.

I've been patient - so far!!
Old 08-05-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

What happened to the Liberty's diesel? I thought it would be making it's way into the JK in the near future; but, now it's not an option any more.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

I have the diesel Im pretty happy with it, although I dont think it pairs well with the 6 speed manual Im constantly changing gears. Im starting to skip 5th etc, im getting used to it. It certainly makes more noise than the petrol but once its warmed up you dont notice it much.

I only have 2200kms on myne so itll take a little while longer before its fully loosened up but I can certainly notice less noise and more power than when I picked it up. Its not as fast as my XJ was but you arent going to slow traffic down. It has a massive intercooler for a factory job, I dont notice much of a turbo lag. It rev's pretty high at highway speeds, about 2700rpm at 110km/hr (68mph) red line is 3something RPM, good excuse for bigger tyres I say! Im getting about 10 litres / 100km which is 23 miles per gallon.

It comes with a optima yellow top from the factory which is very suprising. The diesel cost me $4000AUD more which is about $3500USD.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:45 PM
JK Freak

also, they would have to replace the entire info structure....all the holding tanks are sulfer enriched, so its to expensive to allow diesel in a way....they would have to replace all tanks to allow the use of them
Old 08-06-2007, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reddragon
I did some more digging and it turns out the euro diesels wont run on the high sulfur american fuel. clogs the direct injection. Australia went to the low sulfur arround 2002 and then BMW, Merc, and others were able to bring their diesels.

just wait till your petrol goes up to euro like prices and watch the public demand for diesel cars go through the roof.
Last year the US converted to Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel so your argument is void. 15PPM sulfer. It used to be 500PPM.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

I think the 3.0L Bluetec would be the best for the JK.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by daveaus
I have the diesel Im pretty happy with it, although I dont think it pairs well with the 6 speed manual Im constantly changing gears. Im starting to skip 5th etc, im getting used to it. It certainly makes more noise than the petrol but once its warmed up you dont notice it much.

I only have 2200kms on myne so itll take a little while longer before its fully loosened up but I can certainly notice less noise and more power than when I picked it up. Its not as fast as my XJ was but you arent going to slow traffic down. It has a massive intercooler for a factory job, I dont notice much of a turbo lag. It rev's pretty high at highway speeds, about 2700rpm at 110km/hr (68mph) red line is 3something RPM, good excuse for bigger tyres I say! Im getting about 10 litres / 100km which is 23 miles per gallon.

It comes with a optima yellow top from the factory which is very suprising. The diesel cost me $4000AUD more which is about $3500USD.
I have 11000 ks on mine and it is going real well.Getting better all the tine.I hear it is about 16-18000 before the deisel is bedded in.I can not complain about it.The diesel is far superior to the petrol motor.You are right in that it is a bit noisy at first but quietens down when it warms up..I put 265/75/16 on mine just a little bit bigger that the factory tyres .I dont know about 2700 rpm at 110 km/h mine does about 2200 at the same speed and there is plenty there .On the highway doing 110km/h in 6th and you can put your foot down and it just takes off .no problem.
It wasnt until I had about 6-7000 when it started to rev out a bit harder.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Jeep offer the Volkwagen 2 litre deisel into the Patriot and the Compas here in Australia and the same motor into the Dodge Caliber.It is the 2 liter motor that VW put in the Jetta.
what I am trying to say is it is a pity that Jeep did not keep going the VW way with the Wrangler and offer the 2.5 litre VW instead of the VM.
My other car it a VW Jetta deisel and it flys.But there is on thing I cant Drag at the lights or even think of catching and that is the 2.5 litre deisel VW Transporter Van.They absoulutly motor.Everytime one of those vans tears past I think of what could have been if Jeep kept on using the VW product in the Wrangler.(probably lose my license for speeding)
They put the v6 Merc Deisel in the Grand Cherokee.Same motor that is in the 300C.Arent they something.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

I remember seeing Burnsville Offroad was working on putting a 3.0 Bluetec in a JK wrangler...last I heard they had the engine and was working on a swap...they even had a link on the website. What I find curious is that link is gone and there has been no updates. Burnsville was going to be my hope and Glory for seeing a JK wrangler with a 3.0 diesel and see how it performed.

Quick Reply: JK Diesels