Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Diesels

Old 09-12-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAAD
I keep hearing that over and over, but what about the one in the Cherokee, on Jeep.com Laredo, it's only a $1697.00 option. Do you mean you cannot put the diesel from the Cherokee in the Wrangler because of emissions, does it have something to do with size of vehicle.??

I promise if Chrysler does not get their head out of the dirt, this Rubicon 4door will be the last.

I am sick of these environmentals wackos too. We all want clean air and water, but they have gone too far, they want us to walk while they ride. I even ran into some green peace
wackos in Canada, driving what, a diesel, living in a 4000sqft house. Reminds me of al gore.
With the engine in the Grand Cherokee it will not work because the axle would hit the oil pan. I like the 2.8 and would want that since it would be less expensive and get about the same or better gas milage than the Grand
Old 09-12-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 4BT (4=4cylinder, B=B series, T=Turbo)
is factory rated at 105hp and 265ft/lb torque

This is from the cummins web page, what I don't understand is if people are putting these
in their CJ-7's, plus the fact these specs are lower than the CRD that the JK has now.
How is it going to snap drivelines in a JK.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Help me out with something, I read here that the cummins 4bt would snap a Jeeps driveline,
however when I went to the cummins web page and reading some info I found that the
4bt specs were as follows.

My 4BT (4=4cylinder, B=B series, T=Turbo)
is factory rated at 105hp and 265ft/lb torque.

I didnt realize the engine in the liberty and cherokee were different than the crd that
is in the jk wrangler that the rest of the world gets to enjoy.

I just watched a video about the new merc gl320 3.2 litre 215 hp 398 trq. 21 city 24 hwy
for that massive suv. I am sure the Wrangler would be same or better. What would you say
is the JK archilles heal besides the engine.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
With the engine in the Grand Cherokee it will not work because the axle would hit the oil pan. I like the 2.8 and would want that since it would be less expensive and get about the same or better gas milage than the Grand
Did you know that all of the European diesel XJ's had the same problem?

Jeep fixed the problem very cheaply by giving them all a 1" lift at the factory. Basically, all Euro diesel XJ's came with the Up-Country package as standard.

The VM diesel engine kit that Jeep are selling in the USA for enthusiasts to install in TJ Wranglers could very easily be adapted for use in any Jeep model that has been sold at one time with a 231 or 242 transfercase.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default JK Diesel

I would of bought on if I could. We have the Low Sulfur Fuel around here because all the trucks have to have it from 2007 on. It really was ridiculous that the EPA decided to change the rules on diesels just when the they were starting to get a grip on the market. They have made almost impossible for the current designs to pass without really stupid add on like ammonia canisters that only last 10000 miles and you HAVE to have the dealer recharge them at $400 a pop. Oh Yeah I can see everyone doing that. Get real people.....
Old 09-26-2008, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

you know what diesel id wana see in any wrangler for that matter.

ohe.cat.com/cda/layout?m=85520&x=7
Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

you know what diesel id wana see in any wrangler for that matter.

ohe.cat.com/cda/layout?m=85520&x=7

At over 1400 pounds for the engine alone, that would be a poor choice as the weight plus the suspension and frame modifications needed to handle that much weight up front would ruin any chance of getting decent mileage.

The latest rumors I can dig up are a possible Cummings in 2010, but we've heard that song and dance before for 2009, so I'm not holding my breath this timte. This is frustrating trying to hold off on many mods waiting for the Jeep of my dreams to finally be built. The more I put on my current JK will only be more work to take it back off to put on the new JK if they ever build a diesel. I think 2010 will clinch it for me. If no diesel then, I'm not waiting any longer...

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 11-07-2008, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Frog Rubicon
The diesel version of the JK is a joke: NO POWER OFF-ROAD!!!

If you read french, go to the french 4X4 forum, and you will understand why
I am sorry, but you are absolutely and totally wrong with your statement.
With 2,8 CRD, and rubicon gears you can climb a wall if it would be fysically possible. I dont read french very well, but i do drive an diesel rubicon..
Old 11-07-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpaddict
I would like to hear from the Euro JK'ers with diesels, i.e. performance, fuel burn, noise, driveability, etc.

Additionally, any new information on when the U.S. will have a diesel JK? I saw an announcement yesterday that GM will buy some of the VM Motori diesels for some Cadillac models.
If your concern is noise then don't get a diesel. I love that sound when the turbo kicks in. No matter how they make a diesel they are going to be noisy.
You can do some pretty sick stuff with a diesel engine! http://www.dieselinnovations.com/gal...g2_itemId=6487

Last edited by JK-Fire; 11-07-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: JK Diesels