Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Diesels

Old 08-14-2008, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lsd??? Would my jeep start tripping?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WranglerDan
Does the non-availability of the diesel in the US have something to do with the Euro emission targets only being reached with a particulate filter (DPF) in the exhaust? I think that diesel fuel in the US may have too much sulfur content to run a DPF. This is sounding very similar to the dilemmas of the introduction of unleaded petrol/gas and catalytic converters in the 1980s.
I am fairly certain that ULSD has been available in the USA for a year or so now. California does not want diesel cars so they set the regulations for Nitrous Oxides at limits that are almost impossible to achieve by any current European diesel motor.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All on road diesel has been ULSD since 2007 in the USA.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I started this thread over a year ago I had no idea it would still be going.

I find it hard to believe that there is not one Chrysler factory person that cannot give us a definitive answer on when we will have JK diesels in the USA.

C'mon Chrysler give us the info!!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

the diesel engine does not run well on this trash the call diesel fuel here in the US. european diesel is a different formula.liberty diesels had trouble for a while trying to run on that crap too. it can be done they just wont.
can you say 3.0 bluetech.
come on jeep we want our bluetech wrangler.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coltc2000
the diesel engine does not run well on this trash the call diesel fuel here in the US. european diesel is a different formula.liberty diesels had trouble for a while trying to run on that crap too. it can be done they just wont.
can you say 3.0 bluetech.
come on jeep we want our bluetech wrangler.

The reason that US diesel prices are so high is because we are exporting almost 50% of what we make to Europe. our diesel is cleaner that theirs. You might want to do a little research on the new USLD.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Omega Man

The reason that US diesel prices are so high is because we are exporting almost 50% of what we make to Europe. our diesel is cleaner that theirs. You might want to do a little research on the new USLD.
i really dont see how and i have searched but to no avail for your evidence, we have been running ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) for years, and the mainstream forecourts (BP/Shell) are both running an even cleanier higher performance diesel, either Ultimate/Optimax strain respectively, which have pollutant levels that allow it to be used in Switzerland, one of (if not The Most) most restrictive countries in the world, pollutant wise!

eg:

http://www.bp.com//sectiongenericart...tentId=7009021

Last edited by x5tuu; 08-25-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

we might be running ulsd but our holding tanks are loaded with sulfur. When they put the diesel in holding tanks, the sulfur simply leaks into the diesel and we are back to where we started. I did a project on this years ago and the cost to benefit ratio was way to high. We would have to completely revamp our whole system for us to run clean diesel efficiently and you can guess how much of a nightmare and cost that would be.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

So what engine is the Jeep Cherokee using.
You mean they cannot slap that in a Wrangler.
As an option.

I am sick and tired of hearing cost effective..etc..etc....
Perhaps that logic is why the Japanese are kicking our asses.

It's the Consumer Idiot. Remember who they are and give them what they want.

One example, the Gladiator is nothing more than a Wrangler unlimited on a longer wheel base and of course a diesel. No reason why this is not being built. NONE What so ever.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Cost effective....They could sell it for whatever they want. People want this diesel so bad, they'd pay the money.

Quick Reply: JK Diesels