Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Diesels

Old 07-29-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is 197BHP in the brochure for the 2.8CRD in the UK model - will have to check like!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

man ya'll with these Euro diesels are making me sick LOL J/K

I REALLY HOPE Jeep get's off it's butt and offers SOMETHING in the Unlimited Rubi cause that's what we are looking for, but I'd REALLY like something with JUST a BIT more power, a few more gears, and better MPG (Obviously they CAN do it) so COME ON JEEP The Libby had one, the Grand Cherokee has one and so does the Commander!!!!!! the Wrangler NEEDS SOMETHING

OK rant off
Old 07-30-2008, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

The diesels are bloody awesome!
They do sound like a freight truck at first, but i reckon it brings back originality and authenticity into Wranglers, couldn't be happier!
I'm never going back to petrol, or gas as you Americans like to call it
Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

I would love nothing more than to be able to crank a diesel Jeep up and get that freight truck sound, that would be awesome.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking at a brochure I took out of a Jeep dealership in Germany a couple weeks ago. I can promise you that the restrictions on bringing them in to the US is NOT the CO2 emissions because they are LOWER on the CRD than on the gas engine. i tried to scan the brochure but of course the work scanner is not working, but here are quotes and I can try to photograph this page and up load it if anyone doubts the literature. Again this is straight from a Jeep Wrangler JK sales brochure for 2008.

The Co2 number is Co2 emission g/km (grams per Kilometer)

Wranler sport 2.8 CRD CO2 = 223
Wrangler Rubicon 2.8 CRD auto CO2=255
Wrangler Sport 3.8 CO2= 273
Wrangler Rubicon Auto CO2=275

Unlimited's
sport 2.8 CRD CO2 =227
Sahara 2.8 CRD auto CO2=263
Sport 3.8 CO2=280
Sahara 3.8 auto CO2=282

In EVERY case the CO2 emissions on the Gas engine is higher than the Diesel!!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

i can guarantee the sahara unlimited 3.8 auto CO2g/km rating and can copy my tax disc if necessary as its on there too i believe
Old 07-31-2008, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

I agree I think the euro versions will meet what the US wants, but there is ALWAYS crap that one contry like that anther does not.

I just really wish they'd get off their asses and get the diesels to the US market. I do not want to pay an arm and a leg, but people WILL PAY for them PERIOD, now If i can get one at INVOICE that would be SWEET
Old 08-05-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if this means anything, but I saw a CRD JK driving here on US roads with manufacturer's plates and snapped a shot of it...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/diesel-jk-spotted-50394/
Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brent_f70
I am looking at a brochure I took out of a Jeep dealership in Germany a couple weeks ago. I can promise you that the restrictions on bringing them in to the US is NOT the CO2 emissions because they are LOWER on the CRD than on the gas engine.
The 2007 diesel regulations for the USA set a much lower value for nitrous oxides and particulates. I would not be surprised if the current JK diesel could meet the particulate requirements but the Nitrous Oxide limits seem to specifically prevent the import of economical clean diesels currently made for the the rest of the world.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does the non-availability of the diesel in the US have something to do with the Euro emission targets only being reached with a particulate filter (DPF) in the exhaust? I think that diesel fuel in the US may have too much sulfur content to run a DPF. This is sounding very similar to the dilemmas of the introduction of unleaded petrol/gas and catalytic converters in the 1980s.

Here in Oz, the local refineries have converted their diesel production to low and ultra-low sulfur diesel (LSD and ULSD), so we can now import and drive the latest Euro-diesel cars and trucks. The cost for doing so is an extra 10c + a litre at the pump but I'm happy to pay that as an environmetal levy.

Another factor may simply be that VM could not guarantee to meet the expected level of demand for diesel JKs if they were released in North America. I know that the Jeep dealers here are screaming for more stock of the CRDs but the factory only allocates a certain number. This would only increase again if the Rubi was available as a diesel, too.

Quick Reply: JK Diesels