Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Diesels

Old 11-13-2007, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
That's only assuming a 1:1 ratio. ( I see you're only referring to input torque, but also consider output torque )

What happens when you shift into 4-Low and multiply the torque output by the low range ratio?

Stuff breaks. That's what happens. Especially with larger tires.
Yes. I was careful to state 'input torque' because one of the previous posts mentioned that someone said that the transfercase was not strong enough. I agree, output torque will usually be multiplied by 2.72 in a 231 and the output driveline and axles need to be strong enough to take it. I doubt that even a tuned VM 2.8 CRD would develop enough torque to necessitate a D60 rear axle or six bolt wheels. All of the European diesels have D44 rears.

Originally Posted by Allen
We'll be very, very lucky to see a diesel JK in Rubicon trim.....which is the only way I'd buy one.
That was my opinion as well, but as the 4-door Diesel Rubicon is only available in Belgium for some stupid reason that nobody knows, I had to settle for a Diesel Sahara instead.

It would be nice if Jeep could make an official statement (with factual data) why they don't sell this model in the USA or other countries. It is very strange that they don't listen to their customers. Surely, by making the models buyers want they would actually sell more products.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

That was my opinion as well, but as the 4-door Diesel Rubicon is only available in Belgium for some stupid reason that nobody knows, I had to settle for a Diesel Sahara instead.
I agree, I would rather have a diesel Sahara and build it up, than no diesel at all.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by benmar2000
I have a question.. Not trying to high jack the thread.. But why is it that the rest of the world can have the diesel JK but the US can't.. I am so confused.. I know the emissions laws.. But why the US only.. I think I am getting what I am thinking across...

Ben
Hold on there. No diesels for Canada either.
You have to consider that after travelling for 3 weeks throughout Europe I saw tons of North American built vehicles built here with gas engines only but were sold as diesels there. Even my 89 YJ manual mentioned them and I saw XJ's too.
You just have to realise that for the longest time before Al Gore's diatribes we've been leading the world with environmental band-aids.
If people only saw what the rest of the world is doing to screw it up we'd all give up on trying to fix it.
Pollution doesn't just hover over were it's produced.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
You have to consider that after travelling for 3 weeks throughout Europe I saw tons of North American built vehicles built here with gas engines only but were sold as diesels there. Even my 89 YJ manual mentioned them and I saw XJ's too.
If you believe the C02 doomsday scenario presented by the IPCC, then you may understand why Europe became fixated with C02 reduction. Diesel motors pump out less C02. Until recently the political-scientists than run the Climate Change industry over here forgot about what else comes out of the diesel tailpipe. However, since Europe has been using Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel and started fitting particle filters, diesel has become respectable again - to a degree. The following link gives some data on the comparison between tiny diesel and petrol (gasoline) motors. http://www.ecotravel.org.uk/fuels_5.html

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
You just have to realise that for the longest time before Al Gore's diatribes we've been leading the world with environmental band-aids. If people only saw what the rest of the world is doing to screw it up we'd all give up on trying to fix it. Pollution doesn't just hover over were it's produced.
If you take a look at this document from the EPA http://www.epa.gov/air/urbanair/nox/noxfldr.pdf you may appreciate why the US (and probably Canada too) is reluctant to see an upsurge in diesel vehicle sales.

Slide 3 on this presentation from Bosch regarding their Urea Injection/AdBlue/BlueTec type system explains why there isn't a JK diesel in North America at the moment and why the European diesel JK with the VM motor is probably not going to make it to the USA in its current form. http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...eer_hesser.pdf

I had initially thought that my diesel JK was Euro 4 compliant, but I now think it is Euro 5 compliant. They don't state compliance on any marketing materials.

I think Jeep have already satisfied the 2008 European regulations as this gives them up to 5-years of production in Europe without any motor changes. However, the 2007 Federal regulations are tighter than the Euro 5 regs. So if Jeep aim to produce a JK diesel to meet the 2010 Federal regs, they will also have a diesel that will exceed Euro 5 and future standards. They can get by on gasoline motors in the USA for as long as gas stays cheap. As soon as gas equals European prices I am sure bio-diesel is going to become a major factor in the US.

Last edited by Vince; 11-15-2007 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpaddict
I would like to hear from the Euro JK'ers with diesels, i.e. performance, fuel burn, noise, driveability, etc.
Hi,
I got mine today so don't have a lot of info yet.

What I can say is that the Diesel is NOT noisy and definitely NOT a racing engine but it seems to have a lot of torque.

6th gear is nice for the Highway. I'll give you more info when I got at least 1000 KM on it.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by reddragon
I did some more digging and it turns out the euro diesels wont run on the high sulfur american fuel. clogs the direct injection. Australia went to the low sulfur arround 2002 and then BMW, Merc, and others were able to bring their diesels.

just wait till your petrol goes up to euro like prices and watch the public demand for diesel cars go through the roof.
So true !

Living in Europe leaves you with no other alternative than DIESEL ...at least for the moment.Consider 70% of our gas prices are pure taxes (!!!)
Being combined with the Mercedes Benz 5 Speed A/T the TD is quiet a respectable source for the JK.Way better fuel economy without a doubt and the price difference is equilized in a breeze through the much higher resale value.Driving is okay and in some circumstances even a little quicker off the line than the V6 JK.
BUT : Yes the sound is plain horrible and absolutely hard to get used to.At least for someone like me ..... being around Jeeps for the last 25 + years

Well,like always:You cant have it all ......

Chris

P.S.: By the way the liter gas is closed to 1.50 Euros over here.Do the math and you will love your local gas station
Old 11-17-2007, 11:18 PM
JK Newbie

Hi Chris,
the automatic is not MB, it´s a chrysler one, 10 years old. If i knew the kind of working of this transmission, I would have taken the manual. The Programming is ugly and maybe good for an gas engine.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:21 PM
JK Freak

So what is the average MPG/KPG for the diesel on the JK?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:30 AM
JK Newbie

Mine is between 18 and 25 mpg. It`s an unlimited Sahara, stock, at 2.500 miles.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Zee
JK Freak

Originally Posted by steelblueJK
Mine is between 18 and 25 mpg. It`s an unlimited Sahara, stock, at 2.500 miles.
Hmmm... I thought it would be better. Maybe gas is not so bad.... except fot he lack of torque

Quick Reply: JK Diesels