Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Diesels

Old 08-01-2007, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JK Diesels

I would like to hear from the Euro JK'ers with diesels, i.e. performance, fuel burn, noise, driveability, etc.

Additionally, any new information on when the U.S. will have a diesel JK? I saw an announcement yesterday that GM will buy some of the VM Motori diesels for some Cadillac models.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I heard that the diesel version of the JK isn't offered in the U.S. because it doesn't pass emissions laws.

I would have loved to have the diesel under my hood but it looks like most of the swaps are for V8 engines.

i'm looking hard for that diesel swap though, to make the BIO diesel!!!

there are a few people in my area who make their own in their basement, burns clean with LOTS of power. they are lucky too because there are so many fast-food restaurants in the area for the conversion.

mmm... free good-quality fuel...
Old 08-03-2007, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im sure the diesel meets euro emissions which are much tougher than american. I belive its to do with the high sulfur content of north american diesel.

I have test driven both the gas and diesel back to back and there is lots more torque and even a bit of turbo lag in the oil burner. Feels like you can pull stumps out with it.

I liked the deisel, wife liked the smothness of the pertol. she hated the "rattle".

We are going to order a diesel an I am looking forward to seeing what power i can get out of it with a exhaust, chip and some dyno tuning. Ya my other car is a tuned WRX.

Last edited by reddragon; 08-03-2007 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

At the Camp Jeep roundtable my friend and I begged and pleaded to the Jeep engineers for the US diesel.
They followed with the question, "How much would you pay for the diesel option, $2500?"
"Definetely Yes!!!"
"$4000?"
"Totally"

Everyone else at the roundtable raised their hands too when asked if they would be interested in a diesel option btw.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by reddragon
Im sure the diesel meets euro emissions which are much tougher than american. I belive its to do with the high sulfur content of north american diesel.
This may have been true until recently. I believe the current US pollution requirements are much tougher on NOx and particulate emissions then the European requirements.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Specifically you are dealing with 5 or so states that are very strict on emissions such as CA & NY. These are such large markets by themselves that most automakers are going to wait and design an economical 50 state legal setup.

Europe also spent the last decade moving over 50% of thier refining capacity to diesel, so they have the infratructure to support mass diesel consumption. I spend a lot of time in Germany & Italy and most cars these days are diesel. It is just a matter of time before that heads over to North America.

I will be in line to order a CRD JK as soon as I hear one is available. I would even consider a solid/tested engine swap after my bumper to bumper warranty is over.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here in Australia its a $4000 option but also has a much higher resale value and demand. Wouldnt you like to get almost 1000km from a tank of dino juice. Jeep offers everything they make in a diesel here from the compas to the comander and even the 300C!

A friend has just put his range rover sport on bio diesel. its much cheeper and they fill a tank next to his house!
Old 08-04-2007, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by benmar2000
I have a question.. Not trying to high jack the thread.. But why is it that the rest of the world can have the diesel JK but the US can't.. I am so confused.. I know the emissions laws.. But why the US only.. I think I am getting what I am thinking across...

Ben
While I don't know the answer, I suspect it has mostly to do with marketing studies. People still remember Detroit's (GM's) attempt at diesel engines in the 80's. Smokey, noisy and unreliable. They also look at their local gas stations and how few of them pump diesel. So, the perception from most automakers is American's aren't interested in diesel. We prefer big gas engines.

My personal opinion is there's a large number of consumers who, like myself, would welcome small diesels. If automakers offer them, I think they'd find many more like me. Look at Jeeps CRD Liberty. IIRC, they anticipated a 5000 unit test run. They sold over 10,000. But, that engine didn't meet the 2007 US diesel emission requirements and Chrysler apparently didn't believe the market was big enough to invest what it would take to get it to meet those requirements.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did some more digging and it turns out the euro diesels wont run on the high sulfur american fuel. clogs the direct injection. Australia went to the low sulfur arround 2002 and then BMW, Merc, and others were able to bring their diesels.

just wait till your petrol goes up to euro like prices and watch the public demand for diesel cars go through the roof.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by reddragon
I did some more digging and it turns out the euro diesels wont run on the high sulfur american fuel. clogs the direct injection. Australia went to the low sulfur arround 2002 and then BMW, Merc, and others were able to bring their diesels.

just wait till your petrol goes up to euro like prices and watch the public demand for diesel cars go through the roof.
We don't use high sulfur diesel in the US any more (exception Alaska) US required all Diesel fuel be Low sulfur as of Oct. 15, 2006...most diesel stations had it by Dec. 2006.

The main issue we have is that the US emissions standards for Diesel is more stringent than that of Europe...regarding CO2 and NO/NO2 and particulates (5 of the 50 states states anyway) this is why the european manufturers are working on Emissions systems like Urea (Bluetec), particulate canisters and direct injections...more efficient and less particulates. The main issue is that the new emissions sysems and higher tech engines cost more money and if there is no current market share for diesels why invest in production itooling, etc if it ends up sitting on a lot or sells to 2-3% of the market. That is why the only jeep offering is on the Grand Cherokee...premium product.

I think that chrysler is missing the boat as this will be an emerging trend in the U.S market...makes sense for higher mpg, (when you compare fleet mpgs) and ease of transition for our infrastructure vs. electric, hydrogen etc. Utilizing the 3.0 Bluetec from mercedes or their relationship with Cummins is already proven and in their product offerings and could provide JEEP with a unique proposition...the only (or first) brand to offer a diesel solution in each of their models.

I am hoping that Cerebus is able to see the benefit in the long term and that outweighs any concerns about initial sales. It is going to be up to the Enthusiast community to demand such offerings...as we are usually the return customers

Quick Reply: JK Diesels