Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK CD Shop Manual Problem

Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Solution - free and easy(ish)

Microsoft is giving away Virtual PC 2004 (runs great on XP here at home) for free on their website:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Download and install it, then install the operating system of your choice (you should still have the installation disks that came with whatever OS you're using now, or if ye aRRRRRRRRRRe not averse to piracy, you can easily locate a torrent for whatever OS you'd like to run) on the Virtual PC. Then install IE6 (if necessary) on the Virtual PC. Sounds like a lot of work, but (not including any torrent downloading) you're looking at maybe a half-hour of work, tops... and then you get the best of both worlds - current technology on your REAL computer, with the ability to access your Service Manual as it exists, using the Virtual PC.

Hope this is helpful to someone - I had to do all this in order to run some software for one of my college classes... like I said, sounds daunting, but you're only looking at a little set-up time.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I have been a bit disappointed in the FSM manual on CD. I ran into the same issues. I downloaded the IE6 standalone:

http://browsers.evolt.org/download.p...e6eolas_nt.zip

and used that....it mostly works. Some links require a right click and open in new window to view....and a lot of the 'locations' don't display (which is a bummer) but the rest works for the most part.

I ripped the CD as a .iso file on my laptop (that way I can leave the really expensive CD tucked safely away) and use the virtual CD emulator (a free powertoys download from Micrsoft) to create a (virtual) CD drive and 'mount' the .iso file.

So having a slightly crippled FSM is better than no FSM at all.....but I do think it is a bit of deception on their part not to make the software requirements clear up front. I even found somewhere on the CD a file that says "works with IE4 AND LATER".... I guess they really mean NOT LATER THAT IE6.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeephrog
Not much help here, but I was wondering if you had tried other browsers besides Explorer - like Firefox - or does the CD just integrate itself with Exploder?
It is worse in Firefox as part of the menu's freeze and it will not switch from screen to screen. Rats!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone tried it on Netscape?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Microsoft is giving away Virtual PC 2004 (runs great on XP here at home) for free on their website:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Download and install it, then install the operating system of your choice (you should still have the installation disks that came with whatever OS you're using now, or if ye aRRRRRRRRRRe not averse to piracy, you can easily locate a torrent for whatever OS you'd like to run) on the Virtual PC. Then install IE6 (if necessary) on the Virtual PC. Sounds like a lot of work, but (not including any torrent downloading) you're looking at maybe a half-hour of work, tops... and then you get the best of both worlds - current technology on your REAL computer, with the ability to access your Service Manual as it exists, using the Virtual PC.

Hope this is helpful to someone - I had to do all this in order to run some software for one of my college classes... like I said, sounds daunting, but you're only looking at a little set-up time.
That's a lot of unneccesary work to view html pages.

Originally Posted by DadsCJ
It is worse in Firefox as part of the menu's freeze and it will not switch from screen to screen. Rats!
Yes, this appears to be a javascript issue. There are some slight differences between IE/Firefox in that respect.

I would imagine the whole thing was put together in dreamweaver or something that targeted the browser as IE6.

Originally Posted by Emoto
Anyone tried it on Netscape?
Wait, people still use netscape?

Last edited by JackMac4; 03-01-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Eternal ***erator

I still think it is a piece of junk, For nearly $150 total including the shipping, the damn thing should work, without having to download/install/open this do that etc. just to view it. Making something only compatible with one specific (and they knew damned well soon to be replaced) browser is just plain assinine.
$13.25 to ship a CD? in a cheap-assed case? That looks like it was stomped in the back room of a 7-11 in Tijuana somewhere???

A first year programming student could have done a better job writing it so it worked on CURRENT software, not software that is on its way out fully a year before this was released, added in a very simple keyword search feature (the damn Notepad on your Win95 box had that) and gotten a better case, and mailed the whole damn thing for less than a $1.

I am so not impressed with "Tech Authority"
Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
That's a lot of unneccesary work to view html pages.

Yes, this appears to be a javascript issue. There are some slight differences between IE/Firefox in that respect.

I would imagine the whole thing was put together in dreamweaver or something that targeted the browser as IE6.

Wait, people still use netscape?
Thanks for criticizing everyone's input, including my own... that's fine: it's your right... BUT: How about you offer up a solution of your own instead of simply trashing everyone else's? Not trying to be a jerk about this, but how about some constructive criticism?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Thanks for criticizing everyone's input, including my own... that's fine: it's your right... BUT: How about you offer up a solution of your own instead of simply trashing everyone else's? Not trying to be a jerk about this, but how about some constructive criticism?
There was something constructive in there - this CD is designed for IE 6. It doesn't work in Firefox, netscape, or any other browser very well. It was written for IE 6, so anyone using anything other than IE 6 - expect problems.

Thats what I meant by theres css/javascript problems in firefox.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

I don't speak the language of this thread.

However, if someone found a way to decode
the manual and make a PDF out of it, I might
be someone who would pay $30 for their
handiwork. fathomgreencamaro@yahoo.com

How many pages are we talking about?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by crwood1
I just received my JK Shop Manual on CD. It will only work on the Explorer 6 browser, it is written in a HTML format . Only the Mechanical Tab will function in Explorer 7, the Electrical Tab will not function in 7. I paid $141.00 total for the CD from Tech Authority in Ohio. I called them and they readily admitted it would not operate in Explorer 7 and would probably be three years before it could be rewritten. Told me to send back for refund. Asked why they did not indicate this on the web site or the CD and she did not know. Hard copy is $325 plus tax and shipping. I sent it back for refund. My Unlimited Rubicon is due any day now, does anyone know where I can find a list of the computer error codes?
as a service manager for an independant shop now, I can tell you that I use Snap On Shopkey, all data pro online, and order most of my parts online via my web browser and have found that when I used IE7 in beta version I didn't experiance many problems, untill the full version was relaesd and installed in a microsft update. SOLUTION: go in and uninstall IE7 and it automaticly reinstalls IE6 and all my problems dissapeared with IE7, and it does not erase any of your favorites, or settings. Do that, then try it again, I bet you will be able to use that CD then! GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by GiovaniCustoms; 03-08-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: JK CD Shop Manual Problem