Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK CD Shop Manual Problem

Old 01-21-2007, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I wonder if you put it on pdf file, it will be more usable. I already have one for my 92 civic that I have downloaded last month and was very helpful, wish someone share it with us when converted.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default N0T with foxfire

Also have found out that the CD looks for Microsoft Office. I took Office off right after the Explorer 7 fiasco, tried to run the CD and discovered it would not work, it brought up wordpad with lines of code. Can anybody help?
Old 01-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Hooked

Default Try This

Ran into similar problem with a website when 7 first came out. Talked to Microsoft and this is what they told me to do.

Link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923196/en-us

Hope this helps. Be sure to read the directions befor doing this. I don't like to read them and finally had to.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

The problem isn't that it doesn't like the version number, the problem is you get this error message:

Unspecified SIE-Type "" passed to frameset.

Also, it does NOT work in FireFox 2.0.0.1, it displays the index tree on the left side of page but them clicking on an item doesn't open the item and clicking on the little plus sign to expand an item does nothing.

Guess I'll just have to keep IE 6 around for a while...
Old 01-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hooked
Ran into similar problem with a website when 7 first came out. Talked to Microsoft and this is what they told me to do.

Link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923196/en-us

Hope this helps. Be sure to read the directions befor doing this. I don't like to read them and finally had to.

I re-installed IE7.
I tried to open the wiring diagrams, got the "Unspecified SIE-Type "" passed to frameset." error.
I downloaded and installed the "User Agent String Utility" as per Microshaft's directions.

Tada! --->

*dammit*

Un-installing IE7, AGAIN

No word from DC as to a fix etc. yet.

"go figure"
Old 01-22-2007, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I bet it would be possible for a reasonably web-savvy individual to rip the files, fix this with a crafty find/replace, and then re-burn a CD that would be compatible with IE7...

... I may or may not be such an individual, and I may or may not have an ulterior motive, but if you PM me I'll give it a shot
Old 01-27-2007, 02:21 PM
paragon

How long did it take you guys to get your CDs. I got a notice in the mail, but it seems like it's been 2 weeks or so since I ordered.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got a letter saying that they would ship when it was available. Though they didn't charge my credit card ahead of time, unlike some people have.

Ron
Old 01-29-2007, 04:48 AM
Eternal ***erator

I sent mine back. It doesnt work on IE7. They are making no offer to repair it, just told me to send it back. Which i happily did. For nearly $150 total, the damn thing should work. The mechanical half functions, not the electrical.

Just be forwarned, If you update Internet Explorer to version 7, you WILL NOT at this time be able to use the electrical portion of the Manual. In my opinion this should have been addressed before it was released. Microsoft certainly isnt going to stay in support of IE6 for very long now that 7 is out. So your time frame for using it will be limited to how you update your windows. If you use auto-update, you're screwed.

And i will reitterate that there is NO search function in it. Other than a vague index, you will have to hunt and peck for any miscellaneous info you might want to look up. (unacceptable in my book)

I am just going to wait a while and see if they resolve it, If they do, i will reorder it, if not i will get the old fashioned paper copy type.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 01-29-2007 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi

I downloaded this same CD online from the newsgroups as mentioned in another thread on this board.

Just an FYI for future reference -- it doesn't work properly in IE7 and/or Firefox. There are incompatabilities in the CSS and javascript. It was specifically written for IE6, which is no biggie. Just downgrade to IE6 if you really want it. I'm sure someone will rewrite it at some point, but not me!

It's definately not worth 150 though - so I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it - at least not for that price.

Quick Reply: JK CD Shop Manual Problem