Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Battery Almost Dead?

Old 12-31-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goldtr8
I don't like the Optima battery line, I have had bad luck with my yellow tops in my sons thumper stereo car
Thumper stereo was probably why it didnt last. The colors for optima indicate there usage.

Red = Quality sealed stock replacment.

Yellow = High short term draw with a quick recycle ability. Not meant to be drained below 40%.

Blue = Low to mid extended draw. Can be drained nearly dead and recharged with little issue. Think marine style.

Your sons thumper stereo would have been better served with a series of blue tops. Yellows are great for the average wheeler that may winch once in awhile. My prefered set-up (will go in the JK eventually, had the same in my bronco) was an isolated dual battery setup with yellow as the primary (starting, short winching, etc) and blue as the secondary (CB, stereo, lights, etc. all while the engine is off or idleing).
Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from Sears.

They tested the battery and confirmed it was bad. They also tested the charging system and it is good to go.

Quick Reply: JK Battery Almost Dead?