Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Anxiety

Old 11-19-2010, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdubb75
I'm not sure how people drive there, but I can run 75+ on the interstate in my Jeep easily and that is plenty fast enough to pass about any semi on the road.

I'm not sure how widespread they are, but there are plenty of threads about oil consumption, spun bearings and engine failure. You don't have to do a search, they are in the new posts all the time.
First....my comment was meant as a joke...of course passing trucks is always possible. With that said here in MA, trucks are routinely driving 70mph+. yes, even my modded Jk can drive 75mph (even with stock 4.10 gears) however, when going that fast, there is ZERO power to pass. Floor it and the engine downshifts and sounds like a rocket about to take off but.......nothing....and it was the same way when I was stock. These JK's are not made for passing power. I've learned to live with it.

I'm on here all the time and don't see a lot of posts about engine failure in the stock section ....maybe in the modifed section I see people having issues...

Probably should have left Ford on my list as I would tend to agree with you that they are usually very reliable....my bad I actually believe that Ford is the only American car company that always got it right whether it was in design or management of the compnay. They are solid.

I wouldn't worry about stuff happening. Good news is that you are covered under warranty. Just make sure you have AAA
Old 11-19-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Jedi

Same deal here as the OP. I spent so much money upgrading my front en and other things to get rid of the clunks, shakes, bangs and wobbles. Finally I just gave up cause I'm going broke. I just ignore it now and turn the radio up.

I love Jeeps but Chrysler quality is pretty awful and I have owned many vehicles prior.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by finnd1
35" tires on a two door with 3" lift? Maybe it is time for new drive shafts and LCA's?
LOL!

Yeah, the JKS CA's are enroute as we speak and the driveshafts aren't broke yet.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
First....my comment was meant as a joke...of course passing trucks is always possible. With that said here in MA, trucks are routinely driving 70mph+. yes, even my modded Jk can drive 75mph (even with stock 4.10 gears) however, when going that fast, there is ZERO power to pass. Floor it and the engine downshifts and sounds like a rocket about to take off but.......nothing....and it was the same way when I was stock. These JK's are not made for passing power. I've learned to live with it.

I'm on here all the time and don't see a lot of posts about engine failure in the stock section ....maybe in the modifed section I see people having issues...

Probably should have left Ford on my list as I would tend to agree with you that they are usually very reliable....my bad I actually believe that Ford is the only American car company that always got it right whether it was in design or management of the compnay. They are solid.

I wouldn't worry about stuff happening. Good news is that you are covered under warranty. Just make sure you have AAA
I figured you were only joking and was just giving you some shit. I've never been to your area though and I know some places are known for crazy driving. Take a drive through Atlanta and if you aren't going 80+, you'll end up windshield spatter.

I'm not sure where I see most of the engine trouble threads. I usually just select "new posts" and go down the list. I never really pay attention to which section they are from.

I agree with you on the Ford issue, except for the Edsel. They kind of bombed on that idea. Having said that, I wouldn't mind having one now as they are highly collectible.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Isn't it Merpheys law that says if something can go wrong, it will?? I know my engine will go or my driveshafts will vibrate and break, but that's why I bought the jeep... When something breaks, it's just an excuse to modify it!!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

Never have I spent so money much on a vehicle only to spend a fair amount of driving time listening for odd noises, feeling for strange vibrations or tightening my grip on the wheel when I see bumps in the road. I am finally getting the attitude that "it's only money, if it breaks I'll fix it" and starting to just ignore anything that may seem out of the ordinary. Don't get me wrong, I like my JK a lot, but I willl say that I'm am not a fan of Chrysler AT ALL. This is my first Chrysler product, but my parents have had several in the past 10 years (3 Ram 1500 4x4's and a 4x4 Durango) and I saw them go through many premature failures/repairs and was skeptical of the quality before I even bought my Jeep.

Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but it seems like if you want a JK you just have to ignore the fact that your engine might croak early, you could possibly get to experience "death wobble" while passing a semi on the interstate, have your trans overheat from seemingly normal use, deal with the "rumble strip experience" when your converter is locked up in OD or get trans shudder when backing up an incline that your dealer "can not duplicate", replace ball joints prematurely, keep a hand on the nozzle at the gas pump in case of overflow, deal with a leaky top, enjoy the "paint after assembly" method Chrysler practices, blah, blah, blah.

Again, I really like the Jeep, but DAMN Chrysler, step it up!

On a side note, it's starting to get cold here and the heater works great!

There, I'm off my soapbox now....flame on.
I've never heard of any problems with the manual transmissions overheating it must be an automatic thing.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by B.S.

I've never heard of any problems with the manual transmissions overheating it must be an automatic thing.
Yes, it's an auto thing. The manual guys get to deal with water/mud in the clutch and popping out of gear.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

80,000 km's (50,000 miles) on mine and I've not had a single major issue and I'm harder on it than 95% of owners
Old 11-19-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, it's an auto thing. The manual guys get to deal with water/mud in the clutch and popping out of gear.
does that temp problems happen when climbing? i only had that problem of hot oil while climbing a very steep mountain and it was my first jeep trip and 4x4 experience and use 4hi, the next time i used 4lo and climb that mountain no problem me and my other 2 jeep partners, so i think the temp problems is miss use of the 4hi and 4lo

Last edited by kris003; 11-19-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Dont stress it just drive it and enjoy it for what its meant for. All cars and trucks have their own issues. So why worry?

Quick Reply: JK Anxiety