Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Anxiety

Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Anxiety

Never have I spent so money much on a vehicle only to spend a fair amount of driving time listening for odd noises, feeling for strange vibrations or tightening my grip on the wheel when I see bumps in the road. I am finally getting the attitude that "it's only money, if it breaks I'll fix it" and starting to just ignore anything that may seem out of the ordinary. Don't get me wrong, I like my JK a lot, but I willl say that I'm am not a fan of Chrysler AT ALL. This is my first Chrysler product, but my parents have had several in the past 10 years (3 Ram 1500 4x4's and a 4x4 Durango) and I saw them go through many premature failures/repairs and was skeptical of the quality before I even bought my Jeep.

Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but it seems like if you want a JK you just have to ignore the fact that your engine might croak early, you could possibly get to experience "death wobble" while passing a semi on the interstate, have your trans overheat from seemingly normal use, deal with the "rumble strip experience" when your converter is locked up in OD or get trans shudder when backing up an incline that your dealer "can not duplicate", replace ball joints prematurely, keep a hand on the nozzle at the gas pump in case of overflow, deal with a leaky top, enjoy the "paint after assembly" method Chrysler practices, blah, blah, blah.

Again, I really like the Jeep, but DAMN Chrysler, step it up!

On a side note, it's starting to get cold here and the heater works great!

There, I'm off my soapbox now....flame on.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

ive only got about 2000 miles on my jk but i havent had any of the problems mentioned!!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Passing a semi on the interstate? Unless you are being towed, the JK probably can't pass...LOL!!

Ignore the squeaks and sounds....that is why they put a loud stereo in the JK with the sound bar above your head!

And unless you are modding it, I am pretty sure that the Jk's have held up quite well since their introduction in 2007. Haven't heard of any widespread engine failures on stock JK's....are there any??

Any car/truck is going to have issues. Doesn't matter if it is Chrysler, Ford or even Toyota...couldn't pay me to buy a Toyota right now!.

hell, I spent $50K on an Infiniti and I had vibrations and noises and things that bothered me. They are all machines and prone to break.

great think about Jeep is that if they do break, they are easy to fix. If my Infiniti broke, it would take me 2 days just to figure out how to get the engine cover off

Drive your Jk with a smile and rememeber, you now own the worst rated vehicle per (car and driver or consumer reports...forget which one) but have one of the best resale values on any vehicle...even better than luxury brands!

Last edited by mpkelley20; 11-19-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=
Drive your Jk with a smile and rememeber, you now own the worst rated vehicle per (car and driver of consumer reports...forget which one) but have one of the best resale values on any vehicle...even better than luxury brands![/QUOTE]

Isn't ironic that the worst rated vehicle has the one of the best resale value. I love my Jeep and I have 15000 miles on it and have had no issues at all.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

35k hard trouble free miles on my rubi. Replaced the battery and rear brake pads and runs like a champ.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

First it is consumer reports that states worst rated vehicle and that’s because it does not handle great and it’s not a Toyota or a hybrid.

I feel you Jdubb, these vehicles are not made perfect, but what is? Before my Jeep I had a 2003 Chevy z71. I traded it in Feb. of 2008 for my Jeep with 88,000 miles on it. That vehicle had just as many problems as my Jeep maybe more, and it was never tortured like my Jeep. I babied it for 5 years. I'm somewhat convinced they don't make a vehicle that can handle what a jeep can.

I will say about 6 months back I missed my Z. It was comfy and loaded with every bell and whistle they had in 2003. But every morning I wake up, hop in my Jeep, wind up the RPM's and push my gears all the way threw 6. It's a feeling like no other. I can deal with the small problems.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't had any major issues with mine either. This is just something I've thought about since I got my Rubi and noticed all the troubles others were having with JK's. I could see where it may cause some unwarranted concern. I guess that is just one of the drawbacks of the information age we live in. Sometimes we just have to take what we read with a grain of salt, so to speak, and not overanalyze every little sound or vibration. But, sometimes it's hard to keep from wondering if I'm driving a ticking time bomb. I will say this...it does seem more common for someone to post problems they are having than for someone to post just to say "I'm not having any issues with my jeep so far." So, it goes without saying that the negative threads don't represent the majority.

I do love it though and can't wait for spring so I can peel off the top and doors and enjoy.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Passing a semi on the interstate? Unless you are being towed, the JK probably can't pass...LOL!!
I'm not sure how people drive there, but I can run 75+ on the interstate in my Jeep easily and that is plenty fast enough to pass about any semi on the road.

And unless you are modding it, I am pretty sure that the Jk's have held up quite well since their introduction in 2007. Haven't heard of any widespread engine failures on stock JK's....are there any??
I'm not sure how widespread they are, but there are plenty of threads about oil consumption, spun bearings and engine failure. You don't have to do a search, they are in the new posts all the time.

Any car/truck is going to have issues. Doesn't matter if it is Chrysler, Ford or even Toyota...couldn't pay me to buy a Toyota right now!.

hell, I spent $50K on an Infiniti and I had vibrations and noises and things that bothered me. They are all machines and prone to break.

great think about Jeep is that if they do break, they are easy to fix. If my Infiniti broke, it would take me 2 days just to figure out how to get the engine cover off
I drove Fords for years (Mustangs/F150 4x4) and never had any problems other than routine maintenance and speeding tickets. Maybe I was just lucky??

And I do know what you mean by the simplicity of the Jeep. I like it! I also used to have a BMW 525i and that thing was put together like a jigsaw puzzle. Way over engineered IMO. It was not a trouble free vehicle either. Yeah, it was comfortable and luxurious, but I had more problems with that car than with vehicles I've had that cost 1/2 the price except the BMW cost about 5x more to fix.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, let's start....I have a 2008 Sahara, no problems.......only 2 recalls , the front tow hook, which I do not have and the dummy light for the tyranny.
Anyone else with no major problems.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:13 AM
JK Super Freak

35" tires on a two door with 3" lift? Maybe it is time for new drive shafts and LCA's?

Quick Reply: JK Anxiety