Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK 4dr Rubi. for commuter?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had ours since June, 16k miles on it, daily driver 105 miles a day round trip through Houston and back. There are other more 'comfortable" rides out there for sure but for the foul weather days as well as the top off and doors off days you can't beat it. wife agrees and does not want another vehicle.

Last edited by rob4607; 12-30-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cruiser
For the price of a new LR3 She could buy the new rubi and a used C class Mercedes for nice weather.. Oh,, and LR3's do not like deep snow,, high center too easy,, I go around them here in the PA mountains,, The roads dont get plowed till the storms done,, and the yuppies come to ski and get stuck on the way..
First: I said "used" LR3.

Second: In stock form the Rubi and LR3 are closer than you think....
Ground clearance: LR3 9.4" Rubi 10"
Brakeover angle: LR3 27.9 Rubi 20.8

Third: It's a shame you go around any stuck vehicles. I drive a Rubi, my wife drives an Infiniti FX AWD. If I was driving her veh and got stuck, would you think I was some yuppie skier? Sounds like you have insecurity issues if you hate on people b/c of the car they drive.

Fourth: Sounds like your entire post is an exageration. I bet you've only seen one stuck LR3, yet claim you see it all the time. Also, I highly doubt they do not plow the roads headed to a ski hill. I've lived in 3 different mountain towns and all plow the main roads...especially to a tourist attraction like a ski resort.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

Don't know what to say about the driveability. WHen I first got it, it was rough as sin to ride in. WHat I learned not to do was to hold onto the stick until I was ready to shift, since it moves around a lot. Then, you try grab it tighter, and it tosses you around. Second thing I did was get a steering wheel cover (mine says HD) and install that over the atock steering wheel. Don't feel anything through the steering with it on, and it makes the grip better.

Pilots and bikers have a word for it. Hamfisting. It'll make you feel everything that comes through the controil set, and think it rides like crap. As soon as you loosen up a little, and let the jeep drive, it'll smooth out like crazy.

Last thing on my immediate wish list is a cover for the center console that brings it uo a a little higher. SO you can sit up straight and still rest your arm.

Last thing is a simple adjustment. Most people have a tendency to adjust their shoulder belt so that it sits in the holder above the shoulder. That means when the belts lock, you can slide around in the seat. I am tall, and have mine adjusted below my shoulder, so it goes over it instead of across it. When the locks kick in on corners, it'll help hold you in place. Takes a little getting used to, but keeps you planted. I have an X with 17s. Most people who ride in it say it rides like a caddy. Once you learn to let go of the stick till shifting, and let the eep drive itself, it'll smooth out totally. I have to hit a major sped bump in order tp feel anything on the road. Check your seat level too. Sitting up a little gives you more bend at the elbow, and helps you clear the sound bar.

Just a few tips from someone who knwos that motorcycles have the same tendencies. The trick is to relax and let the vehicle do what it knows how to do. I have never hit anything that required me to hold the steering like a vise . It stays where you hold it, with very little pressure.

Curt.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm a gal and the Rubi is a DD. It has about 20,000 miles on it. We've had 3 feet of snow this past week in addition to the old snow already on the ground. I think it is a fantastic vehicle. I feel very safe in it. We've had 2 Audis and 2 Caddys for luxury. I wouldn't ever go back. I like the Rubi! I know all women don't feel as I do or they would all be driving a Rubi. It's a personal choice. I like off roading so the Rubi suits me just fine.

Let her test drive one, take it out for the weekend, and let her make her own decision.

Quick Reply: JK 4dr Rubi. for commuter?