Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK 4dr Rubi. for commuter?

Old 12-26-2008, 08:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife says she would need
1. Old Man Emu (she likes the ride better)
2. Corbeau A4's (we both hated the stock seats)
3. Sirius (how did I ever live with out this?)
for my jeep her daily driver.

My wife says there's no way she's giving up the S80 unless it's for a 2009 S80.

I would add get the hardtop it's quieter.

You have a JK, all be it an X on 37's but it's going to ride basically the same. It's definitely not a coupe! So is she looking at JK's or are you? If she want's a JK then by all means if you can afford it get the Rubi. Just keep the rubi's parts on her jeep!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Embalmer
was there are large plowed in snow bank that iced over at the end of the driveway?? I cant see a jeep, let alone a rubi get stuck in a drive way, unless as said above highcentered, on a large snow pack that iced over at the end of the drive way, and by large am talking atleast bumper high...
I donno... I've been snowed in so bad that I couldn't even get out of my parking spot. Never mind making it around the corner and up the hill to the main road. I was stranded for two days without power until a plow could come. It was over bumper height (on my 4Runner) and took less than 24 hours. My JK wouldn't have made it either, BFGs or not.

If he sees that kind of snow then maybe a Rubicon is justified.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by YellowToy
My wife went from a Lexus ES 300 to the Unlimted X as her DD the plan is for her to drive it until May 2009 when we buy her a sedan of some type. The selling point was that we could add an after-market 3rd row to carry up to 5 kids & 2 adults.

After about 6 months she said she "was over" driving a Jeep. Too loud & rough. It drives rougher than my Tacoma 4dr.

I love it. I'm fine with the ride. If you want something that rides good with 4WD and good gas mileage there are better options.

If you want the best out-of-the-showroom off road vehicle available, get the Rubicon. I would have if I could have afforded it.

That is what I was kind of thinking. Yeah it is her that wants it but I have a feeling that she will get tired of it.

And I mean by getting stuck. That I lost forward movement and had to back up a few times to get more momentum built up.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:04 AM
JK Jedi

I think the JK is a great on-road vehicle, whether it would be a "good commuter" is quite subjective. Be prepared fo much higher fuel costs, especially once the prices jump back up. I love having a Jeep that is quite comfortable on long trips, and can turn off the pavement and hit the trail and be highly capable.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

My wife has a 08 Sahara and loves it It does not get the best mileage but she only drives about 24 miles a day.

Alot of it depends on your wife, if she is a "car" person or a "Jeep/Truck" person. My wife has had a 85 Toyota on 33's , a 97 Cherokee, a 03 Neon and a 06 Liberty Renegade. She coukd not stand the car after having the Jeep and the Toyota.

The Jk is definetly not for all women but some of them love it.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbuck

...And I mean by getting stuck. That I lost forward movement and had to back up a few times to get more momentum built up.
I can't help you there. I'm from Louisiana & the only time I've driven in snow was skiing in Colorado. The PT Cruiser we rented performed great on the plowed pavement.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

I buried my rubi yesterday in a hard snow drift. Hit it about 20mph and was high-centered and when that happens, it doesn't matter how many axles with lockers you have, its STUCK!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my 2dr x with the POS 255/75/17 sra's thru a 16" wet snow ice covered back road used for gameland access.. 5 miles.. it was tricky,, but no real problem,, good tires and lockers would have made this a walk in the park.. you guys up there in the frozen north get a little more snow,, but if set up right you know the JK is almost unstoppable in the white stuff.. But 29k,, is that US or canadian $ I dint know where your at but it sounded cold.. The $ on the rubis are coming down and have heard a little lower for all options,, as the local dealers just arent moving anything..
Good luck,,
Old 12-27-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tmanker
I buried my rubi yesterday in a hard snow drift. Hit it about 20mph and was high-centered and when that happens, it doesn't matter how many axles with lockers you have, its STUCK!
Like I said, if you cant drive, it doesnt matter what you have.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

dunno ive been plowed in bad too, and live on a steep hill on the dead end side of it that never gets plowed, and have alwaysgot over and through anything. at most if got high centered had to rock it back and forth a time or 2 but still made it...

Quick Reply: JK 4dr Rubi. for commuter?