Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK 4dr Rubi. for commuter?

Old 12-26-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK 4dr Rubi. for commuter?

Alright, will I/my wif be happy with the 4dr Rubicon as DD and our main travel vehicle? I am looking to trade her Honda Accord Coupe in for something that can handle the snow dirt roads alittle better. I know that this is a JK based community so it will be bias to the Unlimited, but I already have a fairly built 2dr for my DD and a decent truck for chores. We use the Honda as her commuter and for taking family trips in.

How does the Wrangler Unlimited handle higher mileage situations? We put 25,000miles on her car in a 10months.

I have talked to the dealer and he can do $29K for a '08 Rubicon Unlimited with every option but remote start. Is that about right?
Old 12-26-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

It has the same engine, trans and rear as your 2dr. I put 12k on my 2dr sahara in the first 6 months and had no problems. I'm sure you will be fine but that is just my guess, I dont have experience with it. I am planning to get my wife an unlimited X for her DD in the next few weeks.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbuck
Alright, will I/my wif be happy with the 4dr Rubicon as DD and our main travel vehicle? I am looking to trade her Honda Accord Coupe in for something that can handle the snow dirt roads alittle better. I know that this is a JK based community so it will be bias to the Unlimited, but I already have a fairly built 2dr for my DD and a decent truck for chores. We use the Honda as her commuter and for taking family trips in.

How does the Wrangler Unlimited handle higher mileage situations? We put 25,000miles on her car in a 10months.

I have talked to the dealer and he can do $29K for a '08 Rubicon Unlimited with every option but remote start. Is that about right?

The only difference between your 2 door and a 4 door as far as drivability goes is stability at speed, it will be just as rough, just as bad with gas and just as uncomfortable. You better have her drive one and see what she thinks.. And why would you need a Rubicon just to handle the snow and dirt a LITTLE better than a Honda car??

My wife wouldn't want to drive my Unlimited X as a daily driver, even though I don't mind.. She does love her Honda Element EX 4x4.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

She likes wranglers and I would want a rubicon cause I would see alot of the driving also. But I don't know if she would want to. We looked at FJ's, H3's and Rubicon's and her choice of the 3 was the Rubicon, but yes it is less refined (by some standards) and a little rougher ride seeing how it has a solid front axel.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Also by a little better, the honda has been stuck in out drive way for a week now. We have enough snow to not be able to make it out. I did test drive the rubicon and it got stuck in out drive way also, had to rock it to get it moving again
Old 12-26-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

JBuck,
The rubicon got stuck in a driveway? It has lockers, was it high centered? I am a little slow... sorry if I don't understand.

BTW when I was a kid we would visit the Peninsula. My Gandpa lived in Sequim for a while, my uncle lived in Gardner and for a while also owned a house on Lake Crescent. Good times and memories from my childhood.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

My wife commutes in our X everyday. She likes the ride, but it is a bit loud in regard to it being shaped like a brick. She said she drove her boss' Commander and really liked the ride and that it was really quiet. That could be another good option for a larger 4x4 vehicle.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

was there are large plowed in snow bank that iced over at the end of the driveway?? I cant see a jeep, let alone a rubi get stuck in a drive way, unless as said above highcentered, on a large snow pack that iced over at the end of the drive way, and by large am talking atleast bumper high...
Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

I am not saying you are wrong or you dont know how to drive but I couldnt get stuck in my Jeep if I tried. You may have just had really bad circumstances but out of all the Jeeps a Rubicon would be the easiest to get out of a bad situation being that it has lockers. I am not a fan of the looks of the F-Gay cruisers and the new Hummers are not very good offroad vehicles, no matter what they try to show you in the commercials!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

My wife went from a Lexus ES 300 to the Unlimted X as her DD the plan is for her to drive it until May 2009 when we buy her a sedan of some type. The selling point was that we could add an after-market 3rd row to carry up to 5 kids & 2 adults.

After about 6 months she said she "was over" driving a Jeep. Too loud & rough. It drives rougher than my Tacoma 4dr.

I love it. I'm fine with the ride. If you want something that rides good with 4WD and good gas mileage there are better options.

If you want the best out-of-the-showroom off road vehicle available, get the Rubicon. I would have if I could have afforded it.

Quick Reply: JK 4dr Rubi. for commuter?