Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jiffy Lube is stupid and so am I!

Old 02-20-2007, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a black truck I bought new in 03, and when I sold it 2 months ago with 80000 miles the buyer could not believe how new the finish looked. How? Knowing that with a black paint you need to take extra time and care for the finish. I've always used Zaino, and every spring would claybar it, use several coats of z5 and then several coats of z2 to finish. It would take about 8 hours to do the crew cab pickup, and then I would do a coat of Z2 in the summer to freshen it. I'm not a fanboy of Zaino, but let me tell you I was able to remove all of the fine scratches and swirls no problem. It had a mirror finish the day I sold it, and that was after 4 Michigan winters.
Get some black touch up paint from the dealer (small brush bottle) and touch up every stone chip or scratch as soon as you get it. Pay special attention to the rockers, you'll fill plenty of stone chips there. I've seen plenty of black trucks where they were treated like any other color and looked like crap, all clouded up. Spend the little extra time on your black finish, and it will stay looking like new, been there done that.

My .02.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Kind of reviving this thread - do most service shops use the prop for the hood or put it all the way back when doing an oil change? When I took my jk in for the first change I noticed the guys had the hood all the way back against the windshield. I joked to the service guy that I had heard stories of places letting them go back and scratching the paint. I said I assume they know how to put it back carefully. I meant to watch when they put it down to see if they placed anything between the hood and windshield but missed it.

So a week or so later when I was cleaning my jeep I noticed very, very small marks (wouldn't want to call them scratches) where the hood would hit the windshield frame. So is it something they should never do or something they do but you expect them to be careful? I really wasn't sure how to react at the time.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to do it myself. The only problem I have is what to do with the used oil. What do you guys do ?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lucas718
I would love to do it myself. The only problem I have is what to do with the used oil. What do you guys do ?
Check with your local auto parts store, they usually take it off your hands.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubimon
maybe push for a professional detail, those guys do that claybar treatment. i bet that would get them out.

Clay will not remove the scratches. It will only pull the crap out of the paint. If you can hook the scratches with your finger nail then you can not buff it out. You might be able to minimize it but not permanently remove it.

To remove the trail rated badge or any badge on a car truck Jeep etc, USE FISHING LINE. Then use goo be gone to remove any remnants.

This is why we need a Jeep care section here. To cover the how to wash how to clean and how to remove stuff and such. Someone mentioned Zaino. That is good stuff. I would say that the Zaino and Rejex are the top 2 polish (wax what ever you want to call it ) out there. This is what many people use on their $50k + cars. It should be good enough for a Jeep (barely).
Old 04-01-2007, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Hmm, Zaino. I prefer harder wax, it might not be as shiny, but will protect better. I use a random orbit buffer myself. Those are awesome.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucas718
Though I haven't switched my new JK over to synthetic, yet, I always buy Mobil 1 at Pep Boys, even though I could save some coin at the base BX. Pep Boys will take my used motor oil, after the change.

--mark d.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

I never take anything to Jiffy Lube. I have heard to many horror stories.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by roklok
I never take anything to Jiffy Lube. I have heard to many horror stories.
Add one more horror story to that list: My Mom brought her VW to Jiffy Lube for an oil change (12? years ago) and they pulled the drain plug, then proceeded to start her car and rev the engine to get the oil to drain out faster... I kid you not. Even SHE knew that this was improper, and gave them hell for it... but that was obviously the last time we ever visited a Jiffy Lube...
Old 04-02-2007, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

Hopefully I didn't miss what was implied in the thread...but so in terms of opening the hood up all the way back, is it something that should never be done? Or is it done but carefully? I just wanted to be prepared for the next time or perhaps rule this dealership out all together for opening the hood all the way back the first time. I appreciate your thoughts...

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube is stupid and so am I!