Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeeps made abroad?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeeps made abroad?

I did not know this? I thought all Jeeps were made in the USA. But according to this...they will be built in India?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/15/j...uilt-in-india/
Old 10-20-2008, 02:24 AM
JK Jedi

That would suck, especially from a domestic job standpoint.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:29 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed. I will not buy any vehicle not manufactured here. And who wants to bet that their 15%+ reduction in costs will not be reflected in their MSRP.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know...they built a whole new plant in Toledo just a few years back to assemble the new model Wrangler - the JK. It doesn't seem very wise to move production considering they are nowhere near recouping the inital costs.

Also I feel the backlash against exporting/outsourcing is really hitting a fever pitch in this election year. Would be a bad time to test the American Consumer.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I intrepreted that Chrysler was looking to expand it's production of vehicles beyond their own brands. Part of their refusal to subscribe to the "not invented here" syndrome. Two examples would be to 1) lease production facilities here in North America to Fiat and 2) currently negotiating with Tata Motors (of India) to produce an electric version of their Ace mini truck. Where this production would occurr I don't know.

Guess time will tell.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tgrt
Indeed. I will not buy any vehicle not manufactured here. And who wants to bet that their 15%+ reduction in costs will not be reflected in their MSRP.
x2 on that...also, I too am a member of the Chrysler Advisory Board. I will share this thread with them.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

What else will we be outsourcing overseas?!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ronzep
What else will we be outsourcing overseas?!
Who knows, but we sure are turning into a services based society. I've been somewhat positive lately as it does seem a bit easier to find things made in the USA. It's not great, but it was better than a few years ago.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tgrt
Who knows, but we sure are turning into a services based society. I've been somewhat positive lately as it does seem a bit easier to find things made in the USA. It's not great, but it was better than a few years ago.
You said it "Service based" when that time comes we will have some really big problems.......50% of the population will need to become Police to protect the 1% of the people with all the money from the remaining 49%

I to will not buy a vehicle that is not(for the most part) built in the USA.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Chrysler have been building Grand Cherokees in Austria since 1993. Mahindra have only recently stopped making CJ3Bs in India, Beijing Jeep make XJs, WJs and KJs in China, Wranglers are built in Egypt and Israel etc. etc.....

Last edited by mike pavelin; 10-20-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Jeeps made abroad?