Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeeps don't have real 4WD...

Old 12-25-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be worse, is if your friend were to listen to him.
He should have walked out instantly after hearing that.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

That settles it.

I'm not gonna buy a Jeep!
Old 12-25-2008, 06:58 PM
JK Junkie

this is a pretty good thread...

my wife in Alaska right now with an 05 Frontier and uses her "push button" 4wd whenever and where ever with zero issues

I'm in vegas (so no first hand expierence) but I read that we can't use our 4wd in snow unless it's 14 feet, raining unless its a monsoon, use it on the trail or good chance we'll break an axle, u-joint, spare tire carrier. Maybe the Japs know something we don't

just thought I'd stir the pot a little for the holidays--happy festivus
Old 12-25-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Geezle
If we don't have "real 4wd" then what exactly is it that we do have?
We have "sur-real" 4wd.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by falconfixer333
this is a pretty good thread...

my wife in Alaska right now with an 05 Frontier and uses her "push button" 4wd whenever and where ever with zero issues

I'm in vegas (so no first hand expierence) but I read that we can't use our 4wd in snow unless it's 14 feet, raining unless its a monsoon, use it on the trail or good chance we'll break an axle, u-joint, spare tire carrier. Maybe the Japs know something we don't

just thought I'd stir the pot a little for the holidays--happy festivus

Someone mixed up the Hummer stats and the JK stats.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Rubicon isnt 4wd...its AWD with the lockers and all!! HAHAHA
Old 12-25-2008, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, that may be the dumbest thing I have ever heard a dealer say.

Though when I was looking at JKs and wanted a base X with a rear locker and I asked the sales guy if they had a vehicle fitting that description, I was informed that Jeeps do not come with door locks because people will just cut the top open.

Following me explaining what a locker is, I was informed that such as a locker does not exist.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Da Hui
Well, that may be the dumbest thing I have ever heard a dealer say.

Though when I was looking at JKs and wanted a base X with a rear locker and I asked the sales guy if they had a vehicle fitting that description, I was informed that Jeeps do not come with door locks because people will just cut the top open.

Following me explaining what a locker is, I was informed that such as a locker does not exist.
WOWZERS!
Jeeps have lockers in them now! I changed my mind again! I'm getting a Jeep. If they have lockers, I'll have a secure place to put valuables!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by necros
So, my cousin wants to buy a pickup truck for work. He really likes the nissan frontier. He was chatting with the dealer the other day and his dealer said for american cars only Chevy can do real 4wd since they patented it, and foreign cars can since they're not US companies. Nissan apparently is the best in the business. So if he buys a Jeep, he won't have "real 4wd" so it won't work nearly as well as a nissan would off road and in the snow

I took a class with a Nissan employee (the importer - not a dealer) who owned a highly (and expensively) built Xterra. He was from out of state and flew in. He rented a stock 4 Unlimted Rubicon and was sick at how much better it was than his built Xterra. As he said; the Xterra doesn't articulate.

I was searching for a product and a hit came up on a Nissan board. It was amusing to spend a bit of time there. Why anybody would choose to invest any money in vehicles with so many shortcomings is beyond me.

The Nissan dealer is a ignorant fool.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by necros
...and his dealer said for american cars only Chevy can do real 4wd since they patented it, ...
What a retard. I'm sick of stupid people. Here's the Wikipedia entry on it. Wikipedia can be a decent source of information when the information cannot be considered controversial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4x4#History

Quick Reply: Jeeps don't have real 4WD...