Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeeps, culture, trendiness, advertising and disgust....

Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chango
So here's the ultimate challenge... How do I build my jeep to be as useful as possible in the bush and as un-trendy as possible in the city?
Badge it as a Suzuki Sidekick?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

So the image presented is that if you drive a jeep, you'll be a young, good looking extreme sports kinda dude who only shops at REI and regularly scores with babes of like persuasion, right?

What? Your not? I sleep on a bed of nails and jump out of planes w/no parachute just for giggles. I assure you though, this person does exist. I however, am not him but this guy is. I just don't think he owns a Jeep. He owns a Land Rover. Maybe we need to tell him about Jeeps. http://www.gregplitt.com
Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pcgizzmo
What? Your not? I sleep on a bed of nails and jump out of planes w/no parachute just for giggles. I assure you though, this person does exist. I however, am not him but this guy is. I just don't think he owns a Jeep. He owns a Land Rover. Maybe we need to tell him about Jeeps. http://www.gregplitt.com
Well... I don't like to brag, but once I started a South American revolution and swam down the Amazon into Brazil to escape it, built a rocket in my garage and took it into orbit, jumped off the Sears tower with an umbrella and turned down a threesome because it sounded boring. I would never be able to stand the adventure of owning a Land Rover though; a Land Rover dealership is just too damn big to fit in the trunk when I want to go camping.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

I think Jeep already tried the "redneck with a can of Skoal on the dashboard" campagin but it didn't work that well so they decided to try a new direction.

Just kidding.

The advertising can try what it wants, but I think there are people that already have a pre-concieved notion of what a Jeep is and the other group that doesn't care either way.

For me personally, Wranglers (specifically) have always represnted freedom with a nice mix of rebellion throw in
Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

A couple points here:

No, I do not actually lay awake at night worrying about this, and no, I'm not going to trade in the jeep because it's "too trendy" for me. Like I said, I haven't been watching jeep ads until after I bought the thing. It's not my first jeep either... actually it's my 4th.

Besides, this might be the only jeep subject that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum on the fourm...
Old 08-09-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow...you're giving this product a lot of your energy. Personally I think this is only a subject because Jeeps are now available in a 4 Dr. Really, a Jeep is just a Jeep. They have been around for 70 years now. We drive them in the Burb's on week days and take friends or family members for a ride in the Country on the weekends. How you read between the lines is on you. I have a 2 Dr. It's for my Yellow Lab (Otis) & I, he can get all dirty chasing his bumpers when we're playing and I dont need to stress that he's going to thrash the Leather in my Truck. The Jeep is a toy, just like a Boat is. Break out another thousand or Just emty every Pocket.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

I don't think about any of the stuff lol, I bought it because I wanted something I could offroad with and take the doors and top off, dirty looks were probably of jealousy?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

I don't know...even utility itself is presenting an image of sorts, especially when that "utility" is not actually practical in the real world

Jeeps have always been crazy-popular here in Utah (obviously) and I have to laugh everytime I see a spotless, scratchless wannabe rock-buggy with 37" tires on dana 30-35 axles crusing down the freeway in the middle of the city, complete with a highlift mounted to the exterior and shiny red gas cans on the rack (hope they're empty ).

Believe it or not I never actually saw or paid attention to the run of the mill Jeep ads when I was thinking about replacing my last vehicle. What got me sold on Jeep was the J8 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K4Pf...eature=related

I thought: "Wow, could it be possible that wranglers have finally returned to real utility instead of trendy lifestyle accessory?!"

Then again, maybe it's just buyer's remorse.

So here's the ultimate challenge... How do I build my jeep to be as useful as possible in the bush and as un-trendy as possible in the city?
What's wrong with someone who's modded their Jeep, but likes to keep it clean? I don't think there's anything funny about the vehicle you just described. Who are you to say that it's a wanna be? You don't know if they wheel the hell out of it or not. So what that they're driving on the freeway? Believe it or not, some people actually have their Jeeps as their DD and not just as a weekend wheeler.

Sounds to me like you've got a personal issue on your hands. We can't help the fact that you don't fit the "Jeep owner" stereotype you are claiming exists. Shouldn't have bought a Jeep if it's such a big deal to you.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you should have got an H3.

It's too late now though. Just relax bro. Your way too concerned about your image. It's your Jeep...so own it. Just own it your way.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by uber
my wife won't let me bang random chicks.... guess I am gonna have to sell too
how much do you want for her?

Quick Reply: Jeeps, culture, trendiness, advertising and disgust....