Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeeps, culture, trendiness, advertising and disgust....

Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeeps, culture, trendiness, advertising and disgust....

I swear this is NOT a troll thread, but I have to vent about how much I HATE the whole "jeep thing", now that I'm back in the game. (just bought a '11 JKU last month).

Every vehicle is trying to sell an image as well as a mode of transportation, and I've always been bugged by the whole bogus advertising image jeep tries to sell itself with. Maybe it's a lingering complex I picked up in High School back in the early 90's when all the "popular" kids were driving CJs and YJs... Here's a couple of wrangler ads to illustrate what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80oRE...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Z9Q...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHhHu...eature=related

So the image presented is that if you drive a jeep, you'll be a young, good looking extreme sports kinda dude who only shops at REI and regularly scores with babes of like persuasion, right?

Of course, that kind of person doesn't exactly exist, and in reality you get a bunch of poseurs trying to look like they are that young, outdoorsy, extreme sports kind of person. The jeep is a accessory for that "look", and the image Jeep tries to sell falls flat on it's face as inauthentic and flat out cheesy-stupid.

I'm suprised how many dirty looks I get driving around in my jeep (especially with the top down). Does Jeep have an image problem or something? Is their advertising backfiring? I just bought a jeep because it's the only new 4X4 left on the market with a SFA as well as 4 doors and my family likes to go camping and backcountry exploring; I don't wheel at 80MPH or snowboard off 100 ft cliffs. I don't shop at REI either.

Why do I have to look like I'm pretending to look like I do that B.S. just because I drive a jeep?

Last edited by Chango; 08-09-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chango
So the image presented is that if you drive a jeep, you'll be a young, good looking extreme sports kinda dude who only shops at REI and regularly scores with babes of like persuasion, right?

Of course, that kind of person doesn't exactly exist, and in reality you get a bunch of poseurs trying to look like they are that young, outdoorsy, extreme sports kind of person. The jeep is a accessory for that "look", and the image Jeep trys to sell falls flat on it's face as inauthentic.
Other than the "attractive guy that bangs random women" part, that pretty much sums up my extracurricular activities, and the Jeep does help get me to my remote destinations better than any other vehicle could.

An accessory? Maybe an accessory born of utility. Part of the fun of having the Jeep is the thrill you get from driving around top-down, doors-off....

To an extent, however, I agree that they're overplaying that aspect of the vehicle and the culture that it attracts.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Sell your Jeep...
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

ANY advertising of avehicle puts good looking healthy people in to help sell the product. Dont know what you're bitching about cause apparently you bought in. Dont waste your time venting on a Jeep fanatics forum you will be flamed...just sell the Jeep cause its apparent, its too much for you to handle.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dirty looks may have nothing to do with the Jeep.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have too much time on your hand to complain about young attractive people driving Jeeps. You only get dirty looks because you are a dirty old man.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

my wife won't let me bang random chicks.... guess I am gonna have to sell too
Old 08-09-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chango
I swear this is NOT a troll thread, but I have to vent about how much I HATE the whole "jeep thing", now that I'm back in the game. (just bought a '11 JKU last month).

Every vehicle is trying to sell an image as well as a mode of transportation, and I've always been bugged by the whole bogus advertising image jeep tries to sell itself with. Maybe it's a lingering complex I picked up in High School back in the early 90's when all the "popular" kids were driving CJs and YJs... Here's a couple of wrangler ads to illustrate what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80oRE...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Z9Q...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHhHu...eature=related

Of course, that kind of person doesn't exactly exist, and in reality you get a bunch of poseurs trying to look like they are that young, outdoorsy, extreme sports kind of person. The jeep is a accessory for that "look", and the image Jeep tries to sell falls flat on it's face as inauthentic and flat out cheesy-stupid.

I'm suprised how many dirty looks I get driving around in my jeep (especially with the top down). Does Jeep have an image problem or something? Is their advertising backfiring? I just bought a jeep because it's the only new 4X4 left on the market with a SFA as well as 4 doors and my family likes to go camping and backcountry exploring; I don't wheel at 80MPH or snowboard off 100 ft cliffs. I don't shop at REI either.

Why do I have to look like I'm pretending to look like I do that B.S. just because I drive a jeep?
So when u drink a beer do u think people judge u based on the ads associated with that beer?

Sounds shallow to me?

I can't control how products I like are marketed.

I think your perception of what people think of you and your car is hypersensitive because u are overly judgmental of others and u assume everyone is like you.

I see far more soccer moms rocking jeeps than extreme athletes. I don't think any of them bought their jeep to be more extreme or even being outdoorsy.

I don't get any dirty looks. I get lots of looks but most are of curiosity, envy, intrigue, or confusion. But rarely dirty unless I did something asinine to deserve said look.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reverend
An accessory? Maybe an accessory born of utility. Part of the fun of having the Jeep is the thrill you get from driving around top-down, doors-off....

I don't know...even utility itself is presenting an image of sorts, especially when that "utility" is not actually practical in the real world

Jeeps have always been crazy-popular here in Utah (obviously) and I have to laugh everytime I see a spotless, scratchless wannabe rock-buggy with 37" tires on dana 30-35 axles crusing down the freeway in the middle of the city, complete with a highlift mounted to the exterior and shiny red gas cans on the rack (hope they're empty ).

Believe it or not I never actually saw or paid attention to the run of the mill Jeep ads when I was thinking about replacing my last vehicle. What got me sold on Jeep was the J8 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K4Pf...eature=related

I thought: "Wow, could it be possible that wranglers have finally returned to real utility instead of trendy lifestyle accessory?!"

Then again, maybe it's just buyer's remorse.

So here's the ultimate challenge... How do I build my jeep to be as useful as possible in the bush and as un-trendy as possible in the city?

Last edited by Chango; 08-09-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pwain
The dirty looks may have nothing to do with the Jeep.
Ok, next time I'll try it with the doors and my pants on and see if they still give me dirty looks.

See, y'all take this way to seriously. I'm talking about a vehicle... a tool, not the length of your dongs...

I'm asking a serious question here: Is "jeep authenticity" really authentic? I bet 27K that it was and am wondering if it was a good bet...

Last edited by Chango; 08-09-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Jeeps, culture, trendiness, advertising and disgust....