Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep wreck with children

Old 12-21-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXFIREMAN
My main concern of course is safety.
Then buy the Volvo. When the kids are old enough that you feel secure, buy the Jeep.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by epnine

5 star ratings except on roll over and it got a 4. Explorer and FJ got a 3 on rollover.

Every time you strap up and go somewhere, there is a chance. I'm worried about other drivers, not my Jeep.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Don't know it all but...

I don't know it all but I'm a Lt. Firefighter/Paramedic and I can tell you that while the crash rating is a little comfort. It is all really up to God or whatever you believe in. An 18 Wheeler can be destroyed in the right wreck. Just a thought.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

I hit a deer with mine this morning doing about 45-50 mph. $3200 worth of damage, dead six point, but everything else was fine. In a car or my carpool partner's CRV, that deer goes through the windshield. On Jeep with 2.5 Teraflex budget boost, plastic and real fender get busted up and grill and headlight get broken.

Which sounds better? And honestly, most cars roofs are supported by not much more than the glass. Is your kid safer in that situation, or in a hard top surrounded by a roll cage? Just sayin.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
That's an independant test. The factory has done NONE from the side. That's why you won't see a factory side rating.
I'm guessing that's because the doors (& top) are for protection from the elements ONLY.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by epnine
Nope, that site is wrong. I had just searched the NHTSA database, and found NO side impact test data for Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Wrangler unlimited 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 model.

The five start side impact rating on the your site, was the result of frontal impact test.

I vaguely remember one of the insurance company did a side impact test on Wrangler, the result was pretty bad, the entire side door was blow away during the impact, expose the occupant to all sort of danger.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

^^^^hmmmm....I wonder why the side is unrated. Is it because really sh*tty? Kinda like testing a motocycle's crash rating?

Quick Reply: Jeep wreck with children