Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep wreck with children

Old 12-20-2009, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeep wreck with children

I have read some threads on here regarding parent's concerns with their children in a jeep with a wreck. The majority of the posts are from parents who state they have had no issues with their kids bein gin the jeep, but have not been in a wreck with the children in the jeep. I have a 4 year old, and I am considering a 4 door. My main concern of course is safety. I'm hoping some people who have been in wrecks with their jeep could tell me what to expect. I am going 4 door simply for the extra buffer space in a rearending. Has anyone had a high speed impact being rearended or T-boned that could share their experience on damage/safety for my son? Thank you.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been in neither, however if a side impact is a concern be sure to seek out a model that has the side air bags as this will obviously improve safety in a side impact collision.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

My wreck was not exactly what you are asking for but here it is anyway. I have a two door and at the time my kids were not in it. I was hit by an Acura doing 30 or so. It hit my drivers side tire. The impact spun the JK around and pushed the axle towards the passenger side a foot or so. The Acura was totalled. The hood buckled, the fenders buckled, the bumper and radiator were pushed back a surprising amount. Everyone was ok. The JK only need a few suspension parts and is good as new.

Having been in a crash in the Jeep, I don't worry about my kids in there with me. I'd probably worry a bit more if I had an Acura though.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

My neighbor rolled his Tj doing about 70 down the highway. Someone clipped him and spun him sideways. Rolled three times. Son was in booster in the back seat and only thing that happened to him was a cut from glass breaking from the hardtop. Passenger in front seat got bruised up some and hurt her hand. Not a JK but similar.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Add some Shrockworks rock rails and you have even more protection. Steel bumpers will help too. while you are at it a lift would put the COG a little higher, but the offending vehicle would hit you low. throw on some 37's and people will see you and stay the hell out of your way.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It states CLEARLY that the top and doors are ONLY for protection from the elements.....use your own judgment.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 12-20-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's always interesting reading all the responses......

Adding stiff bumpers or rock rails are great, but you loose energy asorption by doing so. May be great at low speeds, but high speed, high energy accidents your going to pay for it with you being thrown around more.

To the OP, look at crash ratings, it's the best comparison you can make, although real crashes don't follow the "as tested parameters". You roll the dice everytime you go on the road. I'd be more worried about "hot oil" from the auto trans!
Old 12-20-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdash
It's always interesting reading all the responses......

Adding stiff bumpers or rock rails are great, but you loose energy asorption by doing so. May be great at low speeds, but high speed, high energy accidents your going to pay for it with you being thrown around more.

To the OP, look at crash ratings, it's the best comparison you can make, although real crashes don't follow the "as tested parameters". You roll the dice everytime you go on the road. I'd be more worried about "hot oil" from the auto trans!
Not with the Jeep. There are no side impact crash ratings at all.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Under "Anything and everything", search "1959 Bel Air vs 2009 Malibu" (09/20/09). Check the 14th post by "ArmyCop", in that a link for video on the 2008 "Jeep Unlimited" crash test was available.

Last edited by Orangutan; 12-20-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

my unlimited got t-boned by a chevy trailblazer yesterday.
not a real high speed crash luckily.
glad i had the lift and bigger tires on mine. only damage i got was a small dent on the drivers side rocker panel and rear fender is a little loose. if i was still riding at stock hight the damage would have been alot worse.
the whole plastic front of the trailblazer was in pieces all over the street.
had both kids with me and everyone was ok.

Quick Reply: Jeep wreck with children