Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The Jeep Wrangler Is a Truck - Get Used to It

Old 03-16-2015, 09:22 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Jeep Wrangler Is a Truck - Get Used to It

To finally settle the question of whether or not a Jeep is a truck, let’s break it down and get to the real meat of the question: what really makes a truck?

Read the rest on the JK Forum homepage. >>
Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lol...nice article!

I personally have no issue with calling it a truck. It's when someone calls it a car that bothers me. Wouldn't agree with SUV either but I've never heard it called that before. But now that you mention it, the 4 door kind of fits that too. I always tell my wife her JKU Sahara Altitude feels like an Escalade when I drive it after driving my bare bones 2 door.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Dont knock the escalade. With the solid rear axle, body on frame, and the 6.2L its a beast towing
Old 03-16-2015, 09:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Truck is the best generic term when one is needed. I go on trips with Nissan Xterras, Land Rover Defenders and Discovery's, Toyota Tacomas and 4Runners, and when you ask, "Is everyone's truck ready to head out?", that's easier than calling out each by brand or model name. On this community, however, and when just referring to all Jeeps, "Jeep" is the better term.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I'll stick with "Jeep." I guess a jeep can possibly be a truck, as a JK8. But to me a truck has a truck bed, a big V8, and it stupid long. None which a Jeep has. Well maybe the JKU is stupid long but still a Jeep (sorta). That's my opinion and if you want to call it a truck, whatever floats your boat man!
Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzaga33
Dont knock the escalade. With the solid rear axle, body on frame, and the 6.2L its a beast towing
I wasn't knocking the Escalade...unless you consider comparing it to a JKU Sahara Altitude knocking it.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a Jeep.

There are other things that are branded as Jeeps, I realize; they are "other Chrysler products, with Jeep badging" as far as I'm concerned, but not a "Jeep."

Trucks are trucks, except for the Honda Ridgeline, which is kind of like a lumbersexual who dresses the part and has a neatly groomed beard, but can't actually swing an axe and has no actual knowledge of the outdoors. A Ridgeline isn't a truck. And a Jeep isn't a truck also, but for different reasons.

Everything else is a car, van, or "ute", blobs without identity for the masses, with a few appealing options here and there, but these are also not Jeeps.

If I'm in a group of diverse offroad vehicles-- some Jeeps, and a whole bunch of "everything else" I just call them "rigs". "Rigs" is one of those terms I chortle about because "rig" is a classy word like Coors is a classy beer, although the term originated to describe mast configuration on sailboats. Etymology aside, whatever the "rig" is,-- truck, SUV, ute, etc, if it's going offroad, it's got it's own personality which is usually reflective of the driver's, and therefore "rig" seems to fit best.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

In Michigan, it is titled as a station wagon. Same as a Tahoe I used to have.

Last edited by MikeRM; 03-16-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MikeRM
In Michigan, it is titled as a station wagon. Same as a Tahoe I used to have.
Ewwww.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by jk_sea
... "rig" seems to fit best.
But if you look up rig in a slang dictionary, you don't find that definition. There is "big rig". We all know what that is. Then there are drug paraphernalia, a boy or girl with a hot body (Australian) and a computer. But no generic off-road vehicles, which is a very awkward way to say truck. ;-)

Quick Reply: The Jeep Wrangler Is a Truck - Get Used to It