Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The Jeep way of life

Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 here
I have a great job but also need a good share of outdoors to keep my sanity.

Started riding my bicycle to work in order to make some exercise since I am about 40lbs overweight. The good part is that I get to spend mote time outdoors. However, it's less time in my Jeep.

Still have to wait a bit more for my 3 1/2 years old son to grow old enough for is to ride some off-road together since my wife is not much into it.

Anyway... I am new to Jeeps but already love it and hopefully will get to those cool places with my son. :-)
Old 07-14-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it really does suck to read about folks that have jobs they don't like. But to stay indoors and connected is a choice you have made. All of us could do the same as you have chosen and not turn off the cell and answer emails. My thoughts on that are, my time is my time. Unless I'm on the clock 24-7 getting paid, I don't answer calls or emails from my boss. Monday morning at 4:00 am I start listening. I go through this week after week. i continue to have the job even though I ignore the calls and emails. Something to think about.

On the weekends my wife and I just pack a lunch or an overnight bag and just go. We may drive 100 or 200 miles but we just go. This jeep has been a kind of fountain of youth so to speak. We are doing no what we used to do many years ago. I am 41 years old and refuse to live my life not enjoying the one life we have. A huge part of our life is spent working, not enjoying the rest of our time is just wrong. Think about it. The one thing I will not say when I am on my death bed is, "I wish I had spent more time enjoying life". I am enjoying it. For the price of fuel and some food you can enjoy your time as well. i don't mean to sound like a preacher, but my friend, it is a choice.

As for the video's, I don't watch them very much. They make me want to dump a shitload of money into my Jeep and head out to the place I just seen on video. In the back ground I hear my wife saying, it's just a matter of time luv, one mod at a time. She is very casual in reminding me we still have a house payment. I just agree and continue wishing. One trip at a time is what i tell myself. So far so good.

I hope you realize someday soon that life is waiting for you to just gooooo.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with a lot of you guys, recently I had a few life changing experiences (long story) so I decided to change careers, now I'm doing what I love and every morning I smile on my way to work, I never dislike my old job, I was born into that enviroment I thought I belong there, but I just turn 40 and I'm very scared of what the future would be like (I had a "safe job") only time would tell. so wish me luck, some people believe I have a talent for what I'm doing right now
Old 07-14-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by robin
some people believe I have a talent for what I'm doing right now
.....and that would be...???
Old 07-15-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

MMarz,
You have to pay the bills. If I had a shitty job that I didn't enjoy but paid pretty well we'd be saving as much as possible across the board with minimal discomfort to our family. knock a few bucks off of the electric bill by using less lights or turning the ac up a degree or two. Don't eat fast food/processed food ($$$). Do some googling and check out the monthly waste that can be eliminated from your expenses and SAVE.

Best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago and the next best time is now.

Best wishes.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sin52
Best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago and the next best time is now.
That speaks volumes. I like that.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok about 20 years ago I left a job in Manhattan, NYC. Went to work as a carpenter 10 years later I work on heavy equipment I'm all over outdoors all the time. There are times I really miss an office like when it's zero out and handling a broken track on a cat, frost bite sucks!! With that said I would not go back at all!
The only way to change were you are is to do it, but I was lucky my change was done before we had my daughter who is now 15 & eyeing my JK ! Scary !!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm now 52. I've owned several Jeeps threwout my life. When I was very young my Father brought Home a 46 Willy's CJ2A in pieces, together we worked on that Jeep for 3-4 years. When I became Legal age to drive (First day of my sophomore year) I had one Bad Ass Jeep !! With the Hurricane 4 cyl and a top speed of 45 mph my Dream Machine soon lost It's appeal. My Father Kept that Jeep and we Built another with a Buick V6, 11 inch Brakes, Saginaw Steering with a Tilt wheel, Warn Over Drive etc. Talk about Cool ! We traveled the Rubicon and every other Back Road Northern California & Nevada had to offer. That's right, I grew up at the Base of the Sierra Nevada Mountains...and took it all for granted. Fast forward 35 years I've been Married for 20 & live in the Tampa Bay area. Not a Mountain with in Hundred & Hundreds of Miles but yet each Jeep I've owned & now own are completely capable of Taking on every place I've ever traveled. I'm ready for that someday and thats now. Realizing how simple it was when I was young with my Father by my side we were Unstoppable. Going back in October with my Wife & Dog We plan to Visit old Friends and give the JK a Good old workout.

Quick Reply: The Jeep way of life