Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Value's Up !!! What's Your's Worth ???

Old 07-25-2011, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can walk in and buy a 2011 off the showroom floor with no haggling for less than KBB on a used 09 or 10. How do i know? I did it on mine. With the 12s coming out, I'd suspect you can buy an 11 sahara for what KBB says the OP's 08 is worth.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by inverse121
You can walk in and buy a 2011 off the showroom floor with no haggling for less than KBB on a used 09 or 10. How do i know? I did it on mine. With the 12s coming out, I'd suspect you can buy an 11 sahara for what KBB says the OP's 08 is worth.
Depends on the dealer and where you live and how the Jeep is loaded. there are many factors. My local Dealer had a 2011 Sahara similar to my 2008 listed over $35k and in Texas they don't dicount em' too much. So there is a price diffrence. You can buy a 2011 for the same price but not the Sahara with the same equipment. Keep in mind with the economy like it is and the 2012's coming out the values of used vehicles go up. Why??? Simply stated the banks don't lend on new vehicles like they used to. When the new model is out a lot of people won't qualify for it and the dealerships like to have a nice selection of used vehicles for those who won't qualify, thus increasing the value of used vehicles. You would be suprised how someone who doesn't qualify for a $35k 2012 will qualify for a $31k 2011. years ago I bought a Honda motorcycle and the diffrence between the one I bought and the one I wanted was $1100 but Honda wouldn't finance the more expensive one.
Also i've seen people get a steal on a vehicle because the dealer couldn't get them financed and kept lowering the price untill the lenders said yes. Like I said their are many factors and this thread is more or less for fun. One last factor is due to the disaster survivability of owning a Jeep if the Sh!t hits the fan. Regardless if a Jeep is going to help you survive the colapse of America or the world is irrelavant because perception is everything. Get your guns and Jeep lol....
Old 07-25-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to say with mine cause KBB is USD. Got my 2010 Rubicon w/ 7,500 miles for 26,000 CDN. The KBB says its worth $28,500 USD now. Skewed because of the difference in currencies and sale prices between countries.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Got my 08 in March with 45k miles for 15300. Now only a couple months later and 47k miles it says private party value for good is 18650 and excellent 19700... not so sure I buy it.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

I got my 2wd 07 X with 0 miles for 23k and the KBB with 53k miles is 17,750.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Only way to find out what Jeeps are worth is look at the completed Ebay auctions. That's the only place you will find out what someone is actually paying for one. KBB is horrible in how they exaggerate prices. Total joke currently.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Petris
Only way to find out what Jeeps are worth is look at the completed Ebay auctions. That's the only place you will find out what someone is actually paying for one. KBB is horrible in how they exaggerate prices. Total joke currently.
There are new 2011's with single digit miles on Ebay for 23k. I always use www.nada.com. Also, coastal vehicles [Miami] and Northern vehicles [NJ] always sell for less. Corrosion risk I guess from road salt, and sea spray, and low miles don't mean low wear in city driving.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jhol111964
There are new 2011's with single digit miles on Ebay for 23k. I always use www.nada.com. Also, coastal vehicles [Miami] and Northern vehicles [NJ] always sell for less. Corrosion risk I guess from road salt, and sea spray, and low miles don't mean low wear in city driving.
There is a dealer on Ebay that sells new Wranglers on a regular basis for invoice and further discounts it by giving half of the dealer holdback.

Like you mentioned, a number of coastal vehicles and yankee owned vehicles which I would not touch. Real soft market for Wranglers. Still a buyers market.

I think what KBB did was just inflate pricing on all vehicles after the "shortage" caused by the Japan earthquake.

Still, I think Ebay completed auctions are really a good metric for what a vehicle is actually worth.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Petris
There is a dealer on Ebay that sells new Wranglers on a regular basis for invoice and further discounts it by giving half of the dealer holdback.

Like you mentioned, a number of coastal vehicles and yankee owned vehicles which I would not touch. Real soft market for Wranglers. Still a buyers market.

I think what KBB did was just inflate pricing on all vehicles after the "shortage" caused by the Japan earthquake.

Still, I think Ebay completed auctions are really a good metric for what a vehicle is actually worth.
zip code and mileage and the combination of the two are very big factors for sure. I think one thing that holds my value up specifically to private buyers but is not listed on KBB is that fact my 08 has a lifetime powertrain warranty. As long as I own my Jeep I have an engine and transmission, that's why I probably would never sell it unless I had to. The funny thing is that I didn't even know that I had lifetime powertrain warranty untill I took it in for warranty work and the lady that entered my VIN number looked puzzled when it appeared in the system. Lucky me.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

I agree with the last post...so, for mine this is what I came up with in GOOD condition....

2008 JKU Rubicon
Bought: $31,000 (less trade in of $3,500)
Financed: $27,000
KBB Good Value $26,930
Owe - $19,800

Never had this in a vehicle before! i am usually way upside down by now!

Quick Reply: Jeep Value's Up !!! What's Your's Worth ???