Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep for tundra

Old 01-03-2015, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep for tundra

Well title says it all!
I have baby on the way and the 2dr won't cut it along with the 6spd. Wife can't drive a standard and I know trying to put a baby seat in the back of lifted 2dr isn't going to be fun. I know your saying why a tundra but I see it this way... room and comfort for the family and the same mpg's as my jeep. Also I have to borrow my dads truck from time to time which can be a pain since it's only available on weekends and I can usually pick things up on the way home but can't in the jeep.

Still have time to not do the deal since I'm getting the tundra on Monday. The insurance and pymt a mth is only like 15$ difference so it's nothing. Just seeing what people think of it.

Thanks gays an gals
Old 01-03-2015, 11:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Tundra truck, but bought a 4dr to get access to the rear and storage space for Grandkids.

Can't haul a roll of hay in the Jeep, but I have them delivered now.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After reading your post it differently sounds like you need a truck. Do you need that big of a truck? What about a midsized truck? Something you can haul stuff in still take on the trials.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
After reading your post it differently sounds like you need a truck. Do you need that big of a truck? What about a midsized truck? Something you can haul stuff in still take on the trials.
Well if I get a midsize truck I'd have to get a double cab to fit a car seat in and then basically have no bed so thats kind of a deal killer for me. But I def thought and looked into them. Most of those midsize truck really don't do that much better in mpg's then the big trucks do these days.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option: Buy a 4 door jeep and a small trailer. Or rent a trailer from uhaul as needed. Just an idea. I moved from an Excursion to a 4 door jeep. I miss the interior space that could hall a full sheet of plywood, but LOVE driving the jeep.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 4 door wrangler and a 4 door tundra. While I do love my jeep, there is no comparison as far as room/comfort. I'm sure you know that, at least at first, someone will be riding in the back with the baby. When you consider that and all of the equipment that a new baby requires to be accessible while driving, it seems that a larger interior may suit you better. Also, I've just bought a '14 tundra crewmax and sold the '08 crewmax that i also bought new and unless you baby that throttle, you won't get the same MPG as the wrangler. I average 12 in the new one which is exactly what the old one averaged. Just my 2cent. Good luck!

And don't forget - if you have to sell the jeep, you can always look forward to the next one. Or maybe get an older one just for you to beat around in for now.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kkrbell
I have a 4 door wrangler and a 4 door tundra. While I do love my jeep, there is no comparison as far as room/comfort. I'm sure you know that, at least at first, someone will be riding in the back with the baby. When you consider that and all of the equipment that a new baby requires to be accessible while driving, it seems that a larger interior may suit you better. Also, I've just bought a '14 tundra crewmax and sold the '08 crewmax that i also bought new and unless you baby that throttle, you won't get the same MPG as the wrangler. I average 12 in the new one which is exactly what the old one averaged. Just my 2cent. Good luck! And don't forget - if you have to sell the jeep, you can always look forward to the next one. Or maybe get an older one just for you to beat around in for now.
I looked at 4dr there more then a truck price wise and like you said the room and comfort are nice. Also I'm only getting 10-12 in the city and 14-16 on hwy in my jeep so not a difference IMO in milage.
The tundra I'm looking at is a double cab so might so a lil better then the crewmax.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Broncorif
Another option: Buy a 4 door jeep and a small trailer. Or rent a trailer from uhaul as needed. Just an idea. I moved from an Excursion to a 4 door jeep. I miss the interior space that could hall a full sheet of plywood, but LOVE driving the jeep.
Trailer is out the window as to know where to store it and to rent one I would be better off borrowing a truck just as much as a pain but doesn't cost me anything.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Also keep in mind you are dumping your 2 door and buying something else for a 3 year window. Is it worthwhile to do this? I have a 3 and a 5 year old and daily drive a 2-door 6 speed manual. I got it when my daughter turned 3. At that age they can climb in the back and into the seat and get the straps roughed out themselves, you just tilt the passenger seat all the way forward, plenty of room to reach back and hook up the straps and tighten. My son at five sits behind me in a booster seat and can buckle himself in with the stock 3 point belt, I confirm its pulled tight and properly latched. Why get rid of your jeep for a 3 year period? I say buy a $2000 minivan for 3 years and sell it for $1000 when you're done with it, financially more sound and you keep your jeep. I'm sure your wife is a smart lady, stick shift is easy to learn, especially in a jeep - with low gearing and torque they pretty much get themselves rolling in first.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chrenan
Also keep in mind you are dumping your 2 door and buying something else for a 3 year window. Is it worthwhile to do this? I have a 3 and a 5 year old and daily drive a 2-door 6 speed manual. I got it when my daughter turned 3. At that age they can climb in the back and into the seat and get the straps roughed out themselves, you just tilt the passenger seat all the way forward, plenty of room to reach back and hook up the straps and tighten. My son at five sits behind me in a booster seat and can buckle himself in with the stock 3 point belt, I confirm its pulled tight and properly latched. Why get rid of your jeep for a 3 year period? I say buy a $2000 minivan for 3 years and sell it for $1000 when you're done with it, financially more sound and you keep your jeep. I'm sure your wife is a smart lady, stick shift is easy to learn, especially in a jeep - with low gearing and torque they pretty much get themselves rolling in first.
First things first I will never nor my wife ever drive a minivan!!!

And the wife tried to drive the stick did good in the parking lot but panicked on the street just couldn't do it. Also she really has to desire to learn how to drive it.

As far as low gears I have 3.21 which suck with 35's. And that brings me to another point with in the next year I'm going to need tires shocks and possible a clutch which I can do all myself but still going to cost quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Jeep for tundra