Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep rant

Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so it's 1:30 in the morning and I am on I-64 in VA heading towards Staunton to go back to College, and just my luck my driver side rear tire blows out. So I'm thinking great now I have to try and change this thing in the middle of the night with big rigs flying by, oh and by the way I have no flashlight on me (unprepared I know sorry guys). To top it off my cell phone has decided it will no longer make calls rather it will only allow collect calls. I am able to call my dad for a min by collect call and speak just long enough to let him know what happened and then the call fails. Now I'm on the side of the road with no way to call anyone, and with no light. the tire changing process is going no where fast. Luckily my dad called the state police and about 15 min later a trooper showed up. So now I'm good right I have light and a second hand on top of it. I jack it up and wouldn't you know it jeep supplies you with a jack incapable of lifting the jeep high enough to change the tire...awesome! So the trooper calls a buddy of his who has a tow truck and he comes out with a jack and helps me change the tire. All in all I spent a little over an hour on the side of I64 and had to pay the tow truck driver $60 to do something I should have been able to do myself provided jeep supplied a capable jack (which they did not). Anyways rant over, and I believe I will be buying a better jack for the jeep in case a similar event occurs in the future. Oh and I'll have a flashlight too lol. Still love the jeep though its not it's fault lol, jeep the company I'm not so happy with. Anyways just figured I'd tell my story to vent my frustration everybody have a good rest of the night.

Last edited by jlknights61; 03-25-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your luck. I would surely put a hilift jack on your to get list. That 60 bucks could have bought one for you and a mount for it. I would also look into a flashlight obviously for your glovebox, but something else you can do that I find quite help that you can get for free is a flashlight app for your phone. The app uses your flash from the camera in your phone. Which means they are pretty dam bright. It means if you have your phone with you, that you also have some kind of flashlight with you at all times. Glad you made it someplace safe.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sucks to hear that. The jack works fine for me with 2.5" and 35s. Did you use it under the axle?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2012, 01:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

The jack supplied from factory is designed for stock height. If its lifted that's an issue. Get a hi-lift. Also on quadratec.com they sell flashlight holders!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about the misfortune! HiLift jacks are wonderful BUT using one at night, side of road, no light is a recipe for disaster. Check out AEV they make a base you slip under your factory jack. It is safe to use and best part it fits down inside the rear floor storage area. Down side it costs around 50 bucks.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/jk-jack-base.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	95850-add2-lg.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	295469
Old 03-26-2012, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Sorry to hear about the misfortune! HiLift jacks are wonderful BUT using one at night, side of road, no light is a recipe for disaster. Check out AEV they make a base you slip under your factory jack. It is safe to use and best part it fits down inside the rear floor storage area. Down side it costs around 50 bucks.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/jk-jack-base.html

Attachment 295469
x2
Old 03-26-2012, 04:18 AM
JK Freak

Worked for me when I changed my 35s on 3" lift.

Of course I had a block of wood under it. I always carry a few blocks of wood. You never know when you will need it. And like one of the posters said, put it on axle no frame.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robsmst
I always carry a few blocks of wood. You never know when you will need it.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

well the take away from this thread sends me on a search for a jack and a flashlight
Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

How does a lift hinder the OEM jack from getting a tire off the ground? (as mentioned above)

Quick Reply: Jeep rant