Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Owner Rules According to Jk Forum

Old 07-24-2011, 10:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to mod your jeep, have at it. If you want to stay stock, go for it.....but to tell people they should keep it stock to prevent it from shitting the bed will not fly here!

If you want your jeep to be strictly stock, why join a Jeep forum that focuses on modding and off-roading? Just read your owners manual if you have any questions.

I would hate to run the rubicon stock, your neck, back and kidneys would commit suicide and It would take forever!

Plus, chicks dig lifted jeeps!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petris

So much fun that I even wrote a book about it.

I think I might be the only person to drive a CJ7 from Texas to Buenos Aires via the Pan American Highway.
What's the book?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ChopN

What's the book?
The idiots guide to DIY back replacement!

.... Just kidding!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by textech
Been reading the board to research ordering my '12. It's become pretty clear there definite do's and dont's for outfitting your jeep. So it looks like the concensus around here is the following.

Dont's
1. No color matching hardtop
2. No color matching fenders
3. No chrome
4. No black wheels
5. No color other than black or green
6. Jeep can not match
7. No leather
8. No carpet
9. No power
10. No automatic
11. No navigation, really no radio unless the only song it plays is Sweet Home Alabama or Justin Beber with you singing along
12. Not a unlimited

Do's
1. Must be all black, because thats unique (see 6 above)
2. Must have black wheels
3. No wait must have chrome wheels
4. No wait must have black wheels
5. Must take jeep off road everyday to avoid being a mall crawler.
6. Must be a Rubicon
7. Must be an X
8. Never be driven on pavement
9. Be unique
10. Be like everyone else on this board. Black Rubicon Unlimited with black wheels and a black top and really a mall crawler but claim not to be.

Ok, for those without a sense of humor I'm kidding. Although I'm going to be breaking several of the rules with my '12.

Silver Sahara Unlimited fully loaded with matching hardtop. I plan on adding AEV bumpers line x'd to match with black XD's and 3'' lift. The only time I will take it off road will be the 5 or 6 trips to the deer lease a year. The rest of the time I will crawl malls and haul my kiddos around in it (with the doors on).

This post is

Hilarious. I like chrome or polished wheels (15" or 16") and black rims too, but I'm thinking how great could be a flat olive green JK with even stock sized tires, maybe with steel rims.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

... People destroy Wranglers with lifts and modifications. Rain of ruin. Non-stop ticket to the junk yard. It's not modding, its molesting. If more people learned how to drive off-road, they would not need extra large tires and suspension as a crutch. A number of people here seem to use their Wranglers to drive through deep mud. Why not just buy a tractor instead?
If you don't like to mod your Jeep, fine. Keep it stock. Most of us have a great deal of respect for a stock Jeep from bygone eras. Nothing wrong with that.

And, you're right that some folks chose mod's over good technique to improve their wheeling. But, you're blowing smoke if you think that good technique will always make it possible to drive any trail that a modded Jeep could. It will increase the number of trails that can be driven, but there will still be trails with rocks/ledges too big for the tires and clearance. It's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

As for why some prefer a Jeep to a tractor: Now you are being silly. Somehow, I hear the theme music from some old TV series ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbk81X6WHA4
Old 07-25-2011, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice post.You can do anything you want to your JK,except lowering kits.... I hope you post some pictures as soon as you get it.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Funny post.

This forum can save me a bunch of mistakes, time, and money even if I have a stock JK. And if tomorrow I decide to make it a serious rock crawler, I know what needs to be done.

This JK is not my first off roader, but I would certainly not want to take my stock DD Jeep some of the places (like the Rubicon) I see in the forum. No way I have the clearance and skill to make alot of that stuff without damage. Even if skill alone can get one through it undamaged (and I find that debatable) I would want the extra clearance and articulation on terrain like that "as a crutch" during my learning curve!

Until I am ready to invest in the upgrades (crutch if you like) to help my newb ass over those ledges in one piece, I will be content with my logging trails and sand, and enjoy the adventures of the people exploring more challenging terrain.

Last edited by Yankee; 07-25-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Textech.., only your first post.., you remind me of a new inmate, leaving intake for his first visit into general population. And then BAM! he blind sides the baddest dude with a mop ringer. Your light sarcasm was appreciated, very funny .
Old 07-25-2011, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Reminder: A "modded" Jeep Wrangler will rarely last more than 6 years of driving. Keep it stock, keep it simple and it will last a long time. Otherwise, the days are numbered.
Would it be a fair assessment that a modified Jeep is like the ensign (you never saw before today) in the red shirt on the landing party? You know the odds are in favor of something bad happening. Observing, you are prepared for it ......waiting fpr it even but not fixated because sometimes, just sometimes the ensign ends up with the smoking hot alien, gets to stay behind and lives happily ever after.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

This forum has a lot of great information. I've owned trucks for the last 22 years. I was trying to covince the cw (current wife) to let me buy a Porche Boxster as a third car. But, she's the practical one (aka killjoy) in the family therefore she was having none of that. So I thought OK maybe I'll look at the new F150 Platinum Ecoboost. I fell in love and almost sealed the deal on one. Something in the back of my mind (multiple personality disorder?) told me hold off. I had seen JKs around and I really liked the look of them, plus that would give me convertible option (I live in Texas so I guess I might be a little masochostic (sp) having a convertible in basically the furnace of hell, 24 days in a row of over 100). My brother had a CJ when he was in college and I thought it was really a cool vehicle. I decided to test drive a '11 and I was impressed with everything except the go cart engine. That brought me to JK-Forum and the truly enlightening experience that this place is. Here I was able to get my plan of attack everything from Treadlightly, invoice pricing colors, gears, lifts, bumpers and the pictures of everyones wives/girlfriends. I'll have pictures but it will be a while since I didn't order until last week.

Quick Reply: Jeep Owner Rules According to Jk Forum