Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Owner Rules According to Jk Forum

Old 07-24-2011, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by omaste
Your money, your Jeep. Purchase what you want. I had a talk like this with my 2 granddaughters a few weeks ago. They think they have to wear certain brands, etc. I told them to not let someone that's probably 1000's of miles away that you will never see dictate what you wear. If you look in the mirror, or in this case the driveway, and you smile at what you see, then you have made the correct purchase. I'm about 62 years old. For almost all of my life about 95% of my clothes have been black, and footwear has been boots. It's what I like, and it's what I wear. The only person you have to please is yourself. If other people don't like what you are wearing or driving, well it's a big world out there. I'm sure they can find some other place to go. I'm just saying.
Yep, I'm only 37 and I have been wearing what my wife calls my "uniform" for a while now, got one for the winter and one for the summer, makes shopping for me easy. I'm tired of trying to figure out what I "should" do based on other's opinions/likes/dislikes. Sure, I may see another jeep and think "what the heck?", but I then I move on.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Enzo
What do you know, you only have 13 posts. newbie
that means all the modified 2007 will be doomed 2013

If you change the rims and tires, or mats, u modified it.

There is a lot to modify.
As someone who has owned 9 Jeeps, CJ5, CJ7, XJ, YJ and TJ, I believe myself to be fairly well versed in Jeeps and how people mess them up with modifications. I can take a 151, 258 or T5 apart in my sleep.

People destroy Wranglers with lifts and modifications. Rain of ruin. Non-stop ticket to the junk yard.

It's not modding, its molesting.

If more people learned how to drive off-road, they would not need extra large tires and suspension as a crutch. A number of people here seem to use their Wranglers to drive through deep mud. Why not just buy a tractor instead?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Petris
As someone who has owned 9 Jeeps, CJ5, CJ7, XJ, YJ and TJ, I believe myself to be fairly well versed in Jeeps and how people mess them up with modifications. I can take a 151, 258 or T5 apart in my sleep.

People destroy Wranglers with lifts and modifications. Rain of ruin. Non-stop ticket to the junk yard.

If more people learned how to drive off-road, they would not need extra large tires and suspension as a crutch. A number of people here seem to use their Wranglers to drive through deep mud. Why not just buy a tractor instead?
you sound like a guy that knows it all. i'm sure its fun to go offroading with you...
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkfanatic
you sound like a guy that knows it all. i'm sure its fun to go offroading with you...
So much fun that I even wrote a book about it.

I think I might be the only person to drive a CJ7 from Texas to Buenos Aires via the Pan American Highway.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I've only owned 6 Jeep wrangler-style rigs (CJ-5, 2 YJs, 2 TJs, 1 JKU). All were built to some degree. You let me know when you want to run the Rubicon in a stock jeep, without lifts or mods and I'll take pics of how well you know how to off-road. Sometimes, you'll need mods to make runs more pleasant and less stressful. A better built rig will also greatly reduce your risk of breakage and body damage. Is that why you can rebuild everything in your sleep?

Personally, I can't stand body damage - 6 rigs no significant body damage - ever. I build my rigs so they look nice and stay that way. My thoughts are not the "right" approach for everyone. The exciting thing about wheeling in general, and this forum more specifically, is that everyone has different expectations and different purposes to go along with differnet opinions. There is no "right" way for everyone.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Is that why you can rebuild everything in your sleep?
Darien Gap.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, you had a lot of jeeps , you can fix them. I have seen modified jeep wranglers modified that are in great shape. So your theory makes no sense. There are many modified 2007 wrangler jk's, they will be in the junk yard in a year or two. No way. Wranglers end up in the junk ward when people screw up. Like getting into accidents, or they burn up. People that modify their vehicles put their love Into their work.

A stock jk is awesome, but people like to crawl over rocks, that is the best way to destroy it by going stock and ripping the frame, when you can not clear path.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Well, I've only owned 6 Jeep wrangler-style rigs (CJ-5, 2 YJs, 2 TJs, 1 JKU). All were built to some degree. You let me know when you want to run the Rubicon in a stock jeep, without lifts or mods and I'll take pics of how well you know how to off-road. Sometimes, you'll need mods to make runs more pleasant and less stressful. A better built rig will also greatly reduce your risk of breakage and body damage. Is that why you can rebuild everything in your sleep?

Personally, I can't stand body damage - 6 rigs no significant body damage - ever. I build my rigs so they look nice and stay that way. My thoughts are not the "right" approach for everyone. The exciting thing about wheeling in general, and this forum more specifically, is that everyone has different expectations and different purposes to go along with differnet opinions. There is no "right" way for everyone.

Good luck and have fun!
You typed faster than me and stated the same thing
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Junkie

Reminder: A "modded" Jeep Wrangler will rarely last more than 6 years of driving. Keep it stock, keep it simple and it will last a long time. Otherwise, the days are numbered.
what kind of fuckshit statement is this?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Owning a Jeep is something special. I rode with a friend in his CJ8 in high school. I owned a YJ and sold it when I started my family. It even got into my wife's blood. When we got our JKU after ten years of being away from Jeeps, she said, "I missed this so much."

Every time you walk away from it, you look back, and think to yourself, "what a beautiful Jeep."

It's your Jeep, live it, love it, know you are part of a family, but remember that some of your uncle's out there hate "'x" and want you to pull their finger.

In some ways, I think a Jeep most represents the American attitude, one of "I am an individual, but we're in this together."

Quick Reply: Jeep Owner Rules According to Jk Forum