Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep - Newbie

Old 11-16-2007, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fredyp
sold the lux suv,,, got cash in my hand, or I should say burning a hole in my pocket, and wife gave up trying to talk me out of the JK, the only thing stopping me now is color.
I started out deadset on the BLACK sahara, but talked to a good friend, a fellow car aficianado, and agreed black is tough to maintain.

The only thing stopping me is color choice.
BLACK
BlUE METALIC or
JEEP Green

In Mass. there seems to be plenty of Jeeps JK 4 drs available and I am buying at invoice plus one to two hundred over invoice.

Your thoughts on COLOR?????
I would like to buy this week-end.
Your response are appreciated.
In my opinion -- NO WAY for black -- one of the worst looking colors when new -- forget about when it's a year or 2 old -- swirl marks up the yang -- so dull and ugly!! The blue metallic looks really nice and based on what I've seen in Northern NJ -- one of the rarer colors -- I went with a Jeep Green Sahara and JESUS does it look nice -- def the best color for the JK in any trim line... as for price, I bought 2 weeks ago to the day -- I sent emails to 5 area dealers (there are SO MANY in Northern NJ)... I had 3 of them agree to 1% below invoice for any JKs on the lot and that is where we ended up -- do it via email -- get that agreement then go see them -- makes it SOOOOO painless when you're there - no way should you be paying invoice let alone over!!! There are MANY JKs on the lots of dealerships (here at least) so pricing was easy...

I tell ya -- I am as "Anti-American automotive" as they get. I've always preferred German cars -- had the Mercs, BMWs, VWs and some Jap stuff -- Like I said, it's only been 2 weeks but even though the overall quality is very questionable -- this JK is the BEST -- I'm a stay-at-home dad -- 2 young kids -- they LOVE it -- wife LOVES it -- it's incredible!!!!! BUY BUY BUY!

Last edited by gifford888; 11-16-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HardCharger
What's wrong w/ you. American cars not good enough...<additional comment removed by moderator>
LOL -- Were you not aware that, by in large, American car companies stopped trying to make a decent product after the mid-1960's and only in the past few years are getting back on track??? What dark cave have you been living in weirdo???
Old 11-16-2007, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

GET JEEP GREEN!

Also keep in mind:

1. Jeeps never get old
2. they can be modified more than even a VW bug
3. they can be utilized like a swiss army knife
4. you'll never be confused for a P.C., "metro-sexual" freak

ps. Due to #4 above, you may have to take up fishing, shooting, camping, hunting, 4x4ing, etc...it's kind of a Jeep thing!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

All,

I am in the same spot fredyp was in. I took an Unlimited Sahara for a test drive and loved it. My wife not so much. She can't understand why I would want to give up my lux suv for something so basic. She wonders (and got me starting to think) will I still love it five years from now? Like fredyp, I won't be going offroad (though camp jeep sounds like fun), am not a young kid, got a couple of kids to take care of, so it has to be practical and generally reliable. It will be my daily driver and traffic in the DC area can really suck sometimes so hopefully getting the auto will make it easier.

So how about you guys? How many miles do you commute? Is this thing livable as a daily driver in urban traffic?

I would like to decide (any maybe buy!!) by this weekend. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ctyslkr
All,

I am in the same spot fredyp was in. I took an Unlimited Sahara for a test drive and loved it. My wife not so much. She can't understand why I would want to give up my lux suv for something so basic. She wonders (and got me starting to think) will I still love it five years from now? Like fredyp, I won't be going offroad (though camp jeep sounds like fun), am not a young kid, got a couple of kids to take care of, so it has to be practical and generally reliable. It will be my daily driver and traffic in the DC area can really suck sometimes so hopefully getting the auto will make it easier.

So how about you guys? How many miles do you commute? Is this thing livable as a daily driver in urban traffic?

I would like to decide (any maybe buy!!) by this weekend. Thanks for the help.
I find mine fairly comfortable. I must say that once you are hooked on a Jeep it will be in you for life. There is nothing like the feeling of having the top and doors off.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

As a daily driver vs. a lux SUV here are the drawbacks:
1. There aren't convenient built-in places to store "stuff" that you need quick access to like pens and your change and your phone.
2. Your clothes can get dirty and/or dripped on when getting in and out of the Jeep. The getting dirty part can be be partially solved by getting side steps and/or mud flaps.
3. If you drive a long way with the top down, you are going to look like hell and you may feel tired out when you arrive at your destination.

With all that being said, this vehicle will make you grin every time you drive it and smile ear to ear every time you drive with the top down on a beautiful day. So stop thinking about it and just do it!

I picked mine up this weekend and am loving it! I picked it up in Indianapolis and had to drive back to Chicago. On the way, I passed a Christmas tree farm and decided to get our tree. I didn't want to carry it on top because I had a long way to go and didn't want it mangled in the wind. So I just put the seats down and threw that 8' tree inside the jeep. I'd have never done that in a Lexus or MB SUV. Got the tree home and my wife says it's the best Christmas tree we've ever had. Good things happen when you're in a Jeep!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving a luxury SUV basically equates to a non experience. It gets you from point A to B in a very effortless boring kind of way. The drive in the Jeep is always an experience, mostly good, but possibly not if the top is off and the weather turns fowl.

When driving down a city street with the top off, you hear people talking, smell restaurant food cooking, see birds flying over your head, etc. All your senses just come alive. These are the senses your body just turns off in the lux SUV. It is probably like the feeling that a prisoner gets when getting released back into the real world.

I have the dual tops, with the hardtop on, it is basically like the SUV and quite comfortable compared to older model Jeeps. It is equally as comfortable with the soft top on, just a little less secure theft wise. (Cars with glass windows get broken into just as often though if desirable items are left in plain view)

Really with all the combinations of roof, window, bikini top, Sunrider top, options, it can change from non experience to great experience in a matter of minutes. I have an SUV too(Now my wife's vehicle). I dread it when we have to take that car.

Sorry for the ramble. It is the most fun vehicle I have ever owned.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

My jeep is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned, hands down. I went from a sporty little two door car to my JK, and haven't looked back. It is my daily driver and like was said before, I look for excues to drive it. I wave at every wrangler/cj I see, and talk to other jeep owners in parking lots. I take the hardtop panels off for my 2.5 mile drive to work, only to put them back on again when I get there. I stay up way too late at night surfing the forum looking for small mods I can do to my JK to tweak it a little bit.

What I've noticed the most about my jeep though, is that I'm not in a hurry anymore. When I'm driving somewhere I just get in my jeep and drive, and when I get to my destination I want to drive around the block just to stay in it longer. It's made me slow down my life and I'm ultimately more relaxed because of it. My wife has even noticed that I'm a happier person since I bought the JK.

If a car is just a car to you, than I wouldn't buy a JK, because they aren't cars, they're Jeeps!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Jeep green is a great color! But I would have to side with the Steel Blue... But either one is awesome on the Sahara. The blue is the classier while the green is more earthy.
The silver is awesome but I have seen quite a few of them lately.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks all for your responses. I called back the dealer I was at for the test drive and asked them if they'd be willing to work out a deal and they flat out told me no. Anybody in the Northern Virginia area know of a reputable dealer with good service that is willing to cut a deal?

Quick Reply: Jeep - Newbie