Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep or f150?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeeps tow very well for their size. I have towed a 3000lb boat with my old 4cyl YJ, but only a few miles back and forth from my dads to one of the nearby lakes. I have towed a light weight trailer (1500lbs) with my unlimited, and would have no problem towing regularly up to the 3500lbs limit but wouldn't want to go much over and be towing any distance.

But that being said, why an F150, unless you need a pickup bed for some reason, I'd opt for a Nissan Xterra or Toyota FJ, both have towing rating of 5000lbs and while not as good off road as a Wrangler, both rate better off road than a Hummer H3.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
Jeeps tow very well for their size. I have towed a 3000lb boat with my old 4cyl YJ, but only a few miles back and forth from my dads to one of the nearby lakes. I have towed a light weight trailer (1500lbs) with my unlimited, and would have no problem towing regularly up to the 3500lbs limit but wouldn't want to go much over and be towing any distance.

But that being said, why an F150, unless you need a pickup bed for some reason, I'd opt for a Nissan Xterra or Toyota FJ, both have towing rating of 5000lbs and while not as good off road as a Wrangler, both rate better off road than a Hummer H3.
I would agree he could do it with something other than a Pick up but I wouldnt agree with a six cylinder. I have a V6 Trailblazer with a 4850 lb rating, I can tow my race car with it, but compared to the power of the V8 in my Silverado, there is no comparison, the Trailblazer doesnt come close and I wouldnt expect it to. But this is exactly my point, if you are planning to use it weekly as I do, get something made for towing. There are quite a few mountains on the way from my house to the track and I dont mind them as much with the bigger power from the V8. Also, if you will be towing a lot, I would highly recommend looking for something with a diesel. After towing with my brothers Duramax/Allison combo, I hate towing with anything else, but I dont have the cash for that so my little gas engine works fine!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just get a X model, drop a hemi in it, nothing comes close to driving topless/doorless
Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a 3200 lb boat with an 800 lb trailer. I tow it with my unlimited during the summer. I tow it around 5 miles in each direction. its tows it, but you do feel it. I would not tow on a long drive. An easy solution is if you have to store your boat. Store it near the lake. Problem solved.... by the jeep.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

found another use for my pic here

Just dont take it off road, and you will be fine. Better hope the lakes you go to have a paved ramp area.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

A Jeep isn't rated for that weight. No one on here is going to replace your family when they die from an accident with a jack knifed trailer! Get the proper vehicle. Nuff said.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
if you do go with the jeep I'd go with a rubi for the 4:10 gearing. But you need to determine the distances you would be towing as well as how level the roads will be. Up and down roads I would push you towards the F150. But then again you have beautiful summers there and a topless jeep would be great!
Completely agree, 4k lbs isn't that much and with the Rubi you get a 5.6L HEMI .....one can wish.... But seriously I'd never buy a ford, their junk IMO, but some form of truck would be better than a 4-dr JK just due to the power to weight ratio, IF you have a ton of hills blah blah blah. Then again a Rubi with no more than your boat and trailer weigh you might be fine. Must be a smaller boat because most trailers are around 1500 lbs. What kind of distances and is this a weekend thing? If weekend trips to the lake and not all that far or that hilly to get there then a 4-dr Rubi would be sweet for all the reasons you are well aware of already. If you were driving over mountains and long distances with said boat then an "other than ford" truck would be awesome.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Is this 4000 lbs including gas, life jackets, skis, anchor, ropes, cooler, and so on? You have to make sure you take all your extras into consideration, no matter if its in the tow vehicle or the vehicle being towed, its still extra weight. Just make sure you think about every aspect. I would love to tell you to get a JK because they are a lot of fun but they are not a good tow vehicle, not for what you are looking for anyway.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by woffles
A Jeep isn't rated for that weight. No one on here is going to replace your family when they die from an accident with a jack knifed trailer! Get the proper vehicle. Nuff said.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08SaharaM6
I would agree he could do it with something other than a Pick up but I wouldnt agree with a six cylinder. I have a V6 Trailblazer with a 4850 lb rating, I can tow my race car with it, but compared to the power of the V8 in my Silverado, there is no comparison, the Trailblazer doesnt come close and I wouldnt expect it to. But this is exactly my point, if you are planning to use it weekly as I do, get something made for towing. There are quite a few mountains on the way from my house to the track and I dont mind them as much with the bigger power from the V8. Also, if you will be towing a lot, I would highly recommend looking for something with a diesel. After towing with my brothers Duramax/Allison combo, I hate towing with anything else, but I dont have the cash for that so my little gas engine works fine!
You can't compare the V6 in a Trailblazer to the V6 in the Xterra, FJ, or Honda Ridgeline,, they all have much more power and torque than the Trailblazer V6, The Xterra 4.0l V6 is very close to the same as the F150 4.6l V8!! Only about 30 hp and 30 ftlbs less on vehicles that weigh much less.

For that matter if you really need the power, a Nissan Titan has more power, more comfort, more economy, and better dependability than a Chevy or Ford.

Quick Reply: Jeep or f150?