Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep or f150?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep or f150?

Hey guy's Dont know if I should go with a new unlimited or the new f150. I have a boat that's around 4000 pounds with trailer. So loaded up It might be to heavy for the jeep. Just wondering if anyone has towed a boat like this, without any issues? Mpg isnt a issue so if i have to regear thats not a problem. Thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm, we now have both so I appreciate the F150 for its towing. That is not to say I havent towed some huge trailers with the Jeeps. I had a 95 Wrangler with the 4 cyl that I towed a 2 horse slant fully loaded. It wasnt often and we never went more than 30 miles. But it did it without a hiccup. If I had to choose I would get the Wrangler. Again, I never had far to go and paid extreme attention to the Wranglers capabilities when pushing it's limits.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tow all the time with my jeep , that being said, I don't think the jeep makes a great towing vehicle, I have an older f150 that I tow with and is much better, but I wouldn't trade my jeep for the truck so I'm confused now.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Would a trailer that has trailer brakes help?

A boat is on my short list of things that I want.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

The trailer has brakes, so im not to concerned about that, its more the weight that im worried about. And thanks everyone for replying!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

I agree with above poster the Jeep is not a great tow vehicle and 4K is over the limit. I tow a tent trailer 1500lbs with my 2DR it tows it ok. If your plan on towing very far, often the F150 would be a better choice. That said the Ford as nice as it is can't ever take the place of a Jeep. Good luck with what ever you chose.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

I have an 08 unlimited with the tow package and an f250 4x4 with a diesel. I have a smaller 12x6 enclosed trailer that i tow my snowmobile in (nowhere near as heavy as you would be towing). I towed it once with the Jeep....never again. but then again, I have the option of using the truck.
The Jeep will do the job but it'll rev its guts out if you want to keep any speed on a hill. Also, I found the jeep was a little light so be careful that what you're towing doesn't push you around.
If all youre going to be doing with your vehicle is towing, i'd get the truck. If you're going to be doing any offroad driving at all and towing seldomly, the Jeep's the better option.
I'm definately glad I have both but the insurance payments are killing me!!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

if you do go with the jeep I'd go with a rubi for the 4:10 gearing. But you need to determine the distances you would be towing as well as how level the roads will be. Up and down roads I would push you towards the F150. But then again you have beautiful summers there and a topless jeep would be great!
Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

I would not recommend a JK for towing something that heavy. The reason why one of the guys above mentioned a brake controller is because braking is very important while towing. However I dont think towing that much weight to begin with is a good idea, so you wouldnt have to worry about stopping. As fas as an F150, Have you looked at a Silverado 1500? The reason why I ask is because I went and test drove both last May and the Silverado was better hands down. I went with my wife and another couple(friends of mine) and they all agreed. The F150 would have been $50 a month cheaper but after driving both it was worth the extra money. The sticker price was almost identical around $34k and options were very similar but there was room in the Chevy, more gas mileage from the Chevy and those three as my witness the Ford had idleing issues. The salesman said " its kind of like the older cars it has a choke like device on the engine" I understand it idles high for a split second when a vehicle is started, but idleing between 2500-3000 rpms on cold start ups isnt normal. The new Dodge Rams are very nice but cant compare on price with their new models, A similar Ram 1500 is over $41k. My $.02, good luck with your choice.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

HOw often are you talking about towing the trailer and ahow far. If you think it'll be towed every other weekend and going long distance (say over 50 miles as a rough estimate) then get the F150. If you think you'll tow short distance and occasionally then get the Jeep.

Quick Reply: Jeep or f150?