Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep explain 4WD

Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cozmik

I thought it was all JK's from 07 on? Can anyone confirm this?
Originally Posted by shoe1724

Yes you're right it is on all JK's.
I have an 07 Sahara...no bld for me:-( at least its not listed on my build sheet and if I hammer down with TC off in the snow I don't hear or feel anything...just motor revving and tire spinning. One would notice the bld engaging, either hearing and/or feeling it since it uses the breaks I'm sure I would notice it...right? I'm pretty sure 07 was the only year it wasn't on the jk...I'm not even sure if it was an option Rubicon or not?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by efan450
I have an 07 Sahara...no bld for me:-( at least its not listed on my build sheet and if I hammer down with TC off in the snow I don't hear or feel anything...just motor revving and tire spinning. One would notice the bld engaging, either hearing and/or feeling it since it uses the breaks I'm sure I would notice it...right? I'm pretty sure 07 was the only year it wasn't on the jk...I'm not even sure if it was an option Rubicon or not?

Its part of the traction control system. The computer handles the BLD, you wont hear or feel anything engage. It is not to be confused with real lockers and is only meant to keep the wheels on an axle spinning at the same speed.

here are some links i saved reading about this topic
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...671-LSD-or-BLD
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...rake-lock-diff
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...trol-questions
Old 01-25-2012, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shoe1724

Its part of the traction control system. The computer handles the BLD, you wont hear or feel anything engage. It is not to be confused with real lockers and is only meant to keep the wheels on an axle spinning at the same speed.

here are some links i saved reading about this topic
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...671-LSD-or-BLD
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...rake-lock-diff
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...trol-questions
I'm not doubting you but I'm still not convinced I have bld. I understand how bld works which is why I think you would be able to tell its active...with tc off in 2wd if one tire breaks loose it applies breaks to the spinning wheel to try and force power to the other wheel...it may be hard to tell but I don't see how it would impossible to detect, and I would imagine since dc puts on my build sheet that hood insulation is an upgrade I'm pretty sure that they would have listed bld on my build sheet.
DC even states that the driver must learn to Feel bld activating and to apply continuous throttle to fully benefit from it

Vehicle Description: JEEP WRANGLER SAHARA 4X4 SPORT UTILITY 2-DOOR Model Year: 2007 Body Model: JK J P 72

Sales Code Description *E5 Prem Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats -DD Dk Slate Gray/Med Slate Gray APAS Monotone Paint BABS 160 Amp Alternator BC2S 600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery BNBS Electronic Stability Control BNMP Traction Control BNSP Electronic Roll Mitigation BPTP Hydraulic Assist Brake Booster BRWS 4-Wheel Disc Brakes CACS Low Back Bucket Seats CAGS Easy Access Passenger Seat CDBS Reclining Front Seats CDHP Driver Height Adjuster Seat CFMS Rear Folding Seat CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags** CGXS RR Head Restraints Outboard Seating CKES Front Seat Area Carpet CKFP Rear Seat/Wheelhouse/Cargo Carpet CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops CLC Front Floor Mats CLMS Sport Bar w/Full Padding CSA Spare Tire Cover CUFS Full Length Floor Console CURS Rear Compartment Storage Tray DBBC All Manual Transmissions DEH 6-Speed Manual NSG370 Transmission DHES Man Shift-on-the-Fly Transfer Case DJRS Next Gen. Dana 30 Solid Front Axle DMCS 3.21 Rear Axle Ratio DRZS Next Gen. Dana 44 HD Rear Axle DS7S Conventional Differential Frt Axle DS8S Conventional Differential Rear Axle EGT 3.8L V6 SMPI Engine GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass GCDS Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows GCFS Full Metal Doors w/Roll-up Windows GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror GNDS Driver Side Sun Visor GNYS Passenger Side Sun Visor GTVS Swing-Away Mirrors GXXS Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System HAAS Air Conditioning HGAS Hood Insulation JA2S Instrument Cluster w/Tach JCDS 100 MPH Primary Speedometer JE8S Manual Door Locks JFJS Temperature & Compass Gauge JF8S Manual Windows JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers JJFS Single Low Note Horn JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet JKAS Locking Glove Box K5JS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR LMAS Halogen Headlamps LNJS Fog Lamps LPSS CHMSL Lamp MBAS Painted Front Bumper MB5S Black Rear Bumper MFRS Black Front Frame Overlay MFTS Body Color Grille MRKS Tubular Side Steps MT2S Trail Rated Badge MVCS Jeep Badge MYJS Sahara Badge NAE California Emissions NF2S 18.5 Gallon Fuel Tank NHMP Speed Control PEMA Red Rock Crystal Pearl Coat QEMS Red Rock Crystal Pearl Coat RC9S 6 Premium Speakers w/Subwoofer RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna REQ Media Center 230 6CD/DVD/MP3 RSC SIRIUS Satellite Radio SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering SCLS Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel SDUS Heavy Duty Suspension w/Gas Shocks SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar SHCS Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars SUAS Tilt Steering Column TBBS Full Size Spare Tire TBRS Outside Tire Carrier TUFS P255/75R17 OWL On/Off Road Tires TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires VJXA Black Easy Folding Soft Top WFFS 17X8.0 Aluminum Wheels WKBP Matching Spare Wheel WLZC All Aluminum Wheels XCAS Occupant Classification System XEES Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield XEFS Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield XEWS 2 Front & 1 Rear Tow Hooks XGWP Stain Repel Seat Fabric XJFS Tethered Fuel Filler Cap XJH Locking Fuel Filler Cap XPFS Protective Coating and Remover X81S Instrument Panel Parts Module X83S Front End Parts Module X86S Complete Chassis Parts Module X88S Tire & Wheel Parts Module X92S Complete Body in White Parts Module X94S Complete Painted Body Module X97P 1-Year Service Provided by SIRIUS YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

No bld listed...sad but I'm pretty sure 07...no bld

Last edited by efan450; 01-25-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:29 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not doubting you but I'm still not convinced I have bld. I understand how bld works which is why I think you would be able to tell its active...with tc off in 2wd if one tire breaks loose it applies breaks to the spinning wheel to try and force power to the other wheel...it may be hard to tell but I don't see how it would impossible to detect,
I'd think TC needs to be on for it to work since its to aid in traction. My 08 Rubicon will burn one wheel til the tire melts with tC off.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pretty sure turning off TC turns off BLD
Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rustyshackleford
That wasn't necessary^^^ lol
Originally Posted by EzK

I'd think TC needs to be on for it to work since its to aid in traction. My 08 Rubicon will burn one wheel til the tire melts with tC off.
Fair enough. I wasn't trying to give the guy a hard time just backing up why I said what I said. I'm just wondering why no mention of it from dc on my build sheet..does anyone else have it listed on there build sheet? And if so are any of them 07's?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was one of the first to get a JK Unlimited here is Lancaster Pa. Oct 2 2006. An X model with auto and 4:10 gearing. It came with Brake Lock Differentials (BLDs), which are incorporated into the Electronic Stability Program (ESP). The salesman said the new BLD is awsome in snow and it's brand new for the Jk's in 2007.
He was right the wife loves it in snow and hardly has to use 4WD.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Could it be that when you "hammer down" you overwhelm the brakes ability to slow the free spinning wheel?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorrel
I was one of the first to get a JK Unlimited here is Lancaster Pa. Oct 2 2006. An X model with auto and 4:10 gearing. It came with Brake Lock Differentials (BLDs), which are incorporated into the Electronic Stability Program (ESP). The salesman said the new BLD is awsome in snow and it's brand new for the Jk's in 2007.
He was right the wife loves it in snow and hardly has to use 4WD.
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem
Could it be that when you "hammer down" you overwhelm the brakes ability to slow the free spinning wheel?
Originally Posted by Riptide

I dunno, there's a night and day difference in my 07 with the ESP kill switch vs normal. I don't know how anyone could miss it kicking in.
You all have valid points I honestly think I would like bld and if I do in fact have it, that would be awesome. I would just assume DC would have mentioned it on my build sheet. But maybe since it is part of the esp system they don't feel the need to mention every detail of it? I'm sorry for being stubborn, I'm not trying to start anything, but I do know I read somewhere on this forum that bld wasn't in all 07's, now that would be my fault for just assuming that person knew what he/she was talking about, couple that with it not being listed on my build sheet and i do feel a huge difference with esp kill switch versus esp off, I assumed I didn't have it.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

...if I hammer down with TC off in the snow I don't hear or feel anything...just motor revving and tire spinning. One would notice the bld engaging, either hearing and/or feeling it since it uses the breaks I'm sure I would notice it...right??
the video says, 'bld works in 4hi and 4low'.... in 2wd you have esp and tcs instead

..with tc off in 2wd if one tire breaks loose it applies breaks to the spinning wheel to try and force power to the other wheel...it may be hard to tell but I don't see how it would impossible to detect,
with tc off, you can do a one tire burn out, nothing with stop this unlesss you crank the steering wheel in one direction, erm and esp are still active

Originally Posted by BeachJK
Pretty sure turning off TC turns off BLD
you cant turn off bld, its always active in 4wd unless your lockers are engadged (still active just useless) or unless you have an esp kill switch....why would you need too right/.?

Originally Posted by Riptide
I dunno, there's a night and day difference in my 07 with the ESP kill switch vs normal. I don't know how anyone could miss it kicking in.
the kill switch kills all programs that need the abs to control the brakes....in 4wd with open diffs this means you have one tire fire front and back, so really 2wd across 2 axles.

stillnot convinced all 07's have the bld program.......still looking

Quick Reply: Jeep explain 4WD