Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep broken into

Old 04-16-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
Great example of why to never leave anything of value in a vehicle - especially parked outdoors. As a retired cop I've seen people leave thousands of dollars worth of CD's and other items including purses - then be surprised when it's gone in the morning. I usually leave very little in the JEEP (it's not a car ) and all of the lockable containers unlocked with the doors open so that if anyone wants to rummage around, they (hopefully) don't break in. I only lock it if I'm going to be downtown or somewhere for a long while. Do you have any place you can park indoors?
Originally Posted by talloula
This sucks but I'm glad they didn't damage your JEEP, sounds like whoever did it was probably familiar enough with JEEPS (not his first theft) to know the window have zippers.

I'm in Houston too and I also have to leave my Jeep in the driveway because there's no room in the garage, and I have decided to add a metal gate at the bottom of the driveway that will hopefully deter any would be car thief.

In 2006 while I was getting a prescription refilled at a randall's store someone broke into my car (i had a chevy tahoe) and stole my briefcase (laptop, checkbooks, invoices, etc...) it took me about 3 months to get all my stuff in order after that because I had to change all my accounts, signup for identity theft monitoring etc...not to mention the added frustration from the damage done to the tahoe (he used a big screwdriver to break the door handle open)

Since that day, I have no faith in alarms, and I leave absolutely NOTHING of value in my car or Jeep, nothing except my iPhone charger, ironically enough
I see what y'all are doing there. Read my post again friends, I guess you missed the part where I have multiple vehicles. Cars AND a Jeep. I rotate the Impala and the Jeep in the garage. Before you go correcting someone make sure you have your facts straight. As soon my Impala gets sold the Jeep gets to chill in the garage full time.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about that Kevin. At least you didn't have anything in there really valuable and they didn't damage anything. I always worry about mine when I leave it somewhere since the top is off most of the time.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

That's shitty man, but I dont have to tell you again how lucky you are.

The past 4 days ive driven around various parts of the city with random parts off. Friday I parked in my office buildings garage and my schools parking lot with both front freedom top panels off. After work I took the doors off and the back part of the top and left ot like that for the remainder of the weekend. Parked in my parents house over night, Georgia techs parking lot at my friends frat, my house over night,a friends house, and at a couple of restorants. Locked the glove and center console whenever I left it. No signs of tampering with it and everything left in tact. Knock on plastic. Today I put the back top and the back doors on and left the front tops and doors off, and parked at my house last night, office garage during the day and just got back from the grocery store. Put the rest of the clothes back on for the coming rain. No issues.

Not something I'm gonna do regularly living in atlanta, but I was releived and a little surprised at the same time.

I think the best thing,if weather permits, is to keep doors off and everything unlocked with nothing valuable inside.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scouter4life
My real test comes tonight. I have left the Jeep at the Airport for 2 days with no doors. Now I'm not a fool, there is absolutely nothing in there except some generic brand AAA batteries. I left the glove box and center console unlocked but I did turn on the alarm which locks the gate, but nothing is back there either. I even pulled out my floor mats as I have a nice set. The only thing that could be stolen is the stereo, but considering I have a stock MyGig, I doubt it will be touched.
Wanted to follow up and let you all know that nothing happened to my Jeep while parked at the airport. The alarm was not even set off.

Quick Reply: Jeep broken into