Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep broken into

Old 04-15-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has happened to me too, they didnt slash anything thank god, but they didnt know the windows had zippers so they popped the bottom of the window out using a screwdriver and leaving me a nice gash in the paint. All they took was my ipod locked in the console... getting a tuffy locked underseat storage thing soon!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Great example of why to never leave anything of value in a vehicle - especially parked outdoors. As a retired cop I've seen people leave thousands of dollars worth of CD's and other items including purses - then be surprised when it's gone in the morning. I usually leave very little in the JEEP (it's not a car ) and all of the lockable containers unlocked with the doors open so that if anyone wants to rummage around, they (hopefully) don't break in. I only lock it if I'm going to be downtown or somewhere for a long while. Do you have any place you can park indoors?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

This sucks but I'm glad they didn't damage your JEEP, sounds like whoever did it was probably familiar enough with JEEPS (not his first theft) to know the window have zippers.

I'm in Houston too and I also have to leave my Jeep in the driveway because there's no room in the garage, and I have decided to add a metal gate at the bottom of the driveway that will hopefully deter any would be car thief.

In 2006 while I was getting a prescription refilled at a randall's store someone broke into my car (i had a chevy tahoe) and stole my briefcase (laptop, checkbooks, invoices, etc...) it took me about 3 months to get all my stuff in order after that because I had to change all my accounts, signup for identity theft monitoring etc...not to mention the added frustration from the damage done to the tahoe (he used a big screwdriver to break the door handle open)

Since that day, I have no faith in alarms, and I leave absolutely NOTHING of value in my car or Jeep, nothing except my iPhone charger, ironically enough
Old 04-15-2010, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, stupid a$$holes. I've had two of my jeeps "broken into". one broke a window, I dont know why and another cut the top. Sadly if the douchers would have just pulled the handle they would have realized it was unlocked and nothing in the jeeps was worth stealin. Once in High school and once in college, both in UNT's parking lots. Needless to say the cases were never cracked by the Univ. police.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Scrap the Mini

Originally Posted by EmbarkChief
It was parked right on the side of my townhouse. I've only lived here for about 2 weeks at this point. FWIW one of the neighbors told me to be careful about leaving stuff in my car as it has been a problem. No, I didn't lock the console or glove box, figured they would get destroyed trying to get them open if it was locked. It's kind of funny because they passed up my $400.00 CB Radio, Garage door remote, bayhouse keys, security access card, ARB Snatch strap, and $350.00 shoulder holster. I always figured if I was broken into most people wouldn't know what that stuff was worth and it seems like I was right. Kicker is I have a 2 car garage, GF's Mini Cooper is on one side and my 1996 Impala SS is on the other. Guess I need to gete off my ass and sell the Impala so the Jeep can go in the garage...
Keep the mini outside. it has doors and windows.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubi-josh
Yep, stupid a$$holes. I've had two of my jeeps "broken into". one broke a window, I dont know why and another cut the top. Sadly if the douchers would have just pulled the handle they would have realized it was unlocked and nothing in the jeeps was worth stealin. :

oh that's annoying. I never lock my vehicles because it doesn't even slow down theives, but if I leave it unlocked and they break a window anyway just cause they're dumb, I'd be extra annoyed.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this is the first time I've heard that a crook unzipped the window instead of slashing. You're a bit both lucky and unlucky.

Let us know if he/she comes back after seeing the holster & ammo!!
Old 04-15-2010, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

A while back I had the seats (drivers & passengers) removed from my CJ-5 while it was parked in my driveway. It had a soft top & doors, and thought it was safe because I never left anything of value in it. The shame is it was definately a Jeep enthusiast who wanted them for thier Jeep. After getting another set of seats, I wasn't doing the Jeep wave for a long time, looking at every jeep...wondering is that the SOB that stole my seats.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Junkie

My real test comes tonight. I have left the Jeep at the Airport for 2 days with no doors. Now I'm not a fool, there is absolutely nothing in there except some generic brand AAA batteries. I left the glove box and center console unlocked but I did turn on the alarm which locks the gate, but nothing is back there either. I even pulled out my floor mats as I have a nice set. The only thing that could be stolen is the stereo, but considering I have a stock MyGig, I doubt it will be touched.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scouter4life
My real test comes tonight. I have left the Jeep at the Airport for 2 days with no doors. Now I'm not a fool, there is absolutely nothing in there except some generic brand AAA batteries. I left the glove box and center console unlocked but I did turn on the alarm which locks the gate, but nothing is back there either. I even pulled out my floor mats as I have a nice set. The only thing that could be stolen is the stereo, but considering I have a stock MyGig, I doubt it will be touched.
Whoa! You ARE brave

Quick Reply: Jeep broken into