Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jalopnik reports on a dead jK

Old 11-28-2010, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Jeep's Official Twitter Tweets of Cannonballing in Your Jeep

Originally Posted by brightyoungj
Interesting. Especially when the Jeep official Twitter tweeted for its "pic of the day," was a photo of a "JK Unlimited fording a stream" on September 2, 2010. The link takes you to Jeep's official Facebook fan page; the photo is in Jeep's Facebook album named "Archived Jeep Fan Photos." The Jeep in the photo is in at least the same amount of water that JKTester's Jeep is in in the YouTube video.

I don't know if JKTester has resolved his or her warranty claim, but with...

* Two official Jeep sources (Twitter and Facebook), directing viewers to and displaying a photo of a Jeep waist deep in water.

* With the phrasing "JK Unlimited fording a stream," used by/on Jeep's Official Twitter.

* And with (I would believe) a non-professional driver in the "fan" photo on Jeep's Facebook -- these are presumably the skills of a novice that Jeep supports.

It is implied that Jeep approves, even boasts, of this (fording) practice and automobile capability.

JKTester has a good argument here and I'm sure there are other instances and examples that would support his or her claim if he or she decided to pursue a claim/complaint with higher ranking corporate officials or the Department of Transportation or a lawyer (as a last resort).

Jeep's official Twitter referring viewers to the JK fording water on Sep. 2:
"JK Unlimited fording a stream. http://bit.ly/a2zKVw #picoftheday
3:34 PM Sep 2nd via web
Retweeted by 7 people
"
http://twitter.com/Jeep/status/22831664732

Jeep's official Facebook page and photo of fording JK showcased in Jeep's album:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=464912841514

YouTube video of JKTester's (who is JKTester1 on YouTube) stalled "JK Unlimited fording water," as stated on Jeep's official Twitter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNhpOxVg4r4

JKTester at least has a case.
"Ever cannonballed in your Jeep before?", a Jeep official wrote on Jeep's official Twitter, www.twitter.com/jeep, on November 24, 2010. The photo is highlighted as Jeep's photo of the day.

Can't believe I missed this earlier. Jeep's official Twitter referring to a Jeep plunging into water, "cannonballed ... Jeep" only a few days ago:

"Ever cannonballed in your #Jeep before? http://on.fb.me/dUHJcW #picoftheday
9:45 AM Nov 24th via web
Retweeted by 6 people
"
http://twitter.com/Jeep/status/7459737499074560

Jeep's official Facebook that Jeep's official Twitter refers to as "cannonballed".
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...t=o.7037526514

The "ever cannonballed in your Jeep before" photo on Jeep's Twitter and Facebook looks like it's in worse water conditions than JKTester's at least to the layman's eyes -- the water is definitely higher on the hood in the cannonballed photo. Too, I'm aware that these are just photos and not 100% representative of all the conditions and factors in play.

But, too, this is more advertising, boasting, of Jeep corporate officials exhibiting, encouraging and validating that fording and "cannonballing" is OK to do in your $30,000 plus vehicle.

Jeep implied validation of fording, even cannonballing, one's Jeep vehicle through Jeep's Twitter and Facebook written postings for thousands of people (Jeep owners) to see and, perhaps, imitate.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lynmup
If running an aftermarker CAI

When I bought my Jeep it had a home made CAI on it. Basically a coupler, tube and a filter right behind the radiator. Thank GOD I did not hurt my engine. I was very suprised it started up!
I can see where the CAI would be a problem, inasmuch as the air inlet is situated to get the full blast of water almost straight in (in some designs).
Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I finally got to where I can get around a little again and I said I would post a picture of what you are supposed to remove when fording water so here it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepstuff 020.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	106396
Old 12-02-2010, 02:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by brightyoungj
... Jeep implied validation of fording, even cannonballing, one's Jeep vehicle through Jeep's Twitter and Facebook written postings for thousands of people (Jeep owners) to see and, perhaps, imitate.
I guess that's why the lawyers insist on those silly disclaimers on their manufacturer's advertisements ("Professional driver; do not attempt).
Old 12-02-2010, 02:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by genesbro
Ok I finally got to where I can get around a little again and I said I would post a picture of what you are supposed to remove when fording water so here it is.
Why would removing that help? Seems it would leave a bigger, lower opening? No? Where did you hear about taking it off, BTW? And, if you're driving down the Interstate and get caught in a really heavy downpour, removing the item in the picture may not be very practical at the time. The biggest I've seen is 24" in a couple hours before I had my Jeep, and I drove through this storm earlier this year: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=events-20100614, and was worried the entire time about hydrolocking. Personally, I'm planning for a snorkel.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm surprised there is no class action lawsuit for those who get denied from hydrolocking. Jeep advertises their offroad capabilities but then denied people when they go to use it. Either cover the blown engines or change the advertising and the manual to remove waterfording.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Jedi Knight
I'm surprised there is no class action lawsuit for those who get denied from hydrolocking. Jeep advertises their offroad capabilities but then denied people when they go to use it. Either cover the blown engines or change the advertising and the manual to remove waterfording.
The problem is, how do you prove you did/didn't follow the instructions in the owner's manual? It reads:

"CAUTION! When driving through water, do not exceed 5 mph (8 km/h). Always check water depth before entering as a precaution, and check all fluids afterward. Driving through water may cause damage that may not be covered by the new vehicle limited warranty."

"Flowing Water ... If you must cross flowing water avoid depths in excess of 9 inches."

"Standing Water --- Avoid driving in standing water deeper than 20 inches, and reduce speed appropriately to minimize wave effects. Maximum speed in 20 inches of water is less than 5 mph (8 km/h)."

If I'm the dealer, I say, "You hydrolocked it; obviously you did not correctly and completely follow the instructions in the manual."

Personally, I consider this to be a personal responsibility issue. All of off-roading is. It's silly to suggest that when we buy a Jeep, or any other off-road capable vehicle, that we also all want to pay for the off-roading risks of everyone else. At least I certainly don't. I'm willing to assume the risks of my off-roading habit, and I certainly do not think that I have paid the vehicle manufacturer, or my insurance company, to provide coverage for any Tom Fool thing I might chose to do ("Here, hold my beer while I try something."). And I certainly hope that I'm not paying for a bunch of other like-minded fools because they think they should have coverage. TANSTAAFL!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Why would removing that help? Seems it would leave a bigger, lower opening? No? Where did you hear about taking it off, BTW? And, if you're driving down the Interstate and get caught in a really heavy downpour, removing the item in the picture may not be very practical at the time. The biggest I've seen is 24" in a couple hours before I had my Jeep, and I drove through this storm earlier this year: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=events-20100614, and was worried the entire time about hydrolocking. Personally, I'm planning for a snorkel.
I saw it in the little book they put in the glove box, I think they call it the owners manual.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by genesbro
I saw it in the little book they put in the glove box, I think they call it the owners manual.
That is what they call it. It's also available digitally. And mine says ...

Driving Through Water

Although your vehicle is capable of driving through
water, there are a number of precautions that must be
considered before entering the water:

CAUTION!

When driving through water, do not exceed 5 mph (8
km/h). Always check water depth before entering as
a precaution, and check all fluids afterward. Driving
through water may cause damage that may not be
covered by the new vehicle limited warranty.

Driving through water more than a few inches deep will
require extra caution to ensure safety and prevent damage
to your vehicle. If you must drive through water, try
to determine the depth and the bottom condition (and
location of any obstacles) prior to entering. Proceed with
caution and maintain a steady controlled speed less than
5 mph (8 km/h) in deep water to minimize wave effects.

Flowing Water

If the water is swift flowing and rising (as in storm
run-off) avoid crossing until the water level recedes
and/or the flow rate is reduced. If you must cross
flowing water avoid depths in excess of 9 inches. The
flowing water can erode the streambed causing your
vehicle to sink into deeper water. Determine exit point(s)
that are downstream of your entry point to allow for
drifting.

Standing Water

Avoid driving in standing water deeper than 20 inches,
and reduce speed appropriately to minimize wave effects.
Maximum speed in 20 inches of water is less than 5
mph (8 km/h).

Maintenance

After driving through deep water, inspect your vehicle
fluids and lubricants (engine oil, transmission oil, axle,
transfer case) to assure the fluids have not been contaminated.
Contaminated fluid (milky, foamy in appearance)
should be flushed/changed as soon as possible to prevent
component damage.

But not a word about removing that piece. You are the first person to ever mention it in the nearly four years I've had my JK and participated on this forum. Are you sure it was in the Owners' Manual? Maybe it's something new (I have an '07).
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
The problem is, how do you prove you did/didn't follow the instructions in the owner's manual? It reads:

"CAUTION! When driving through water, do not exceed 5 mph (8 km/h). Always check water depth before entering as a precaution, and check all fluids afterward. Driving through water may cause damage that may not be covered by the new vehicle limited warranty."

"Flowing Water ... If you must cross flowing water avoid depths in excess of 9 inches."

"Standing Water --- Avoid driving in standing water deeper than 20 inches, and reduce speed appropriately to minimize wave effects. Maximum speed in 20 inches of water is less than 5 mph (8 km/h)."

If I'm the dealer, I say, "You hydrolocked it; obviously you did not correctly and completely follow the instructions in the manual."

Personally, I consider this to be a personal responsibility issue. All of off-roading is. It's silly to suggest that when we buy a Jeep, or any other off-road capable vehicle, that we also all want to pay for the off-roading risks of everyone else. At least I certainly don't. I'm willing to assume the risks of my off-roading habit, and I certainly do not think that I have paid the vehicle manufacturer, or my insurance company, to provide coverage for any Tom Fool thing I might chose to do ("Here, hold my beer while I try something."). And I certainly hope that I'm not paying for a bunch of other like-minded fools because they think they should have coverage. TANSTAAFL!
I agree on being accountable for the choices you make. Some people make really bad choices on the trails. The problem is who has the burden of proof, the dealer or the owner? That's why I say if they aren't going to cover it, then stop putting it in commericals and put in the owners manual that water damage in not covered at all. Give the people a clear understanding of what is covered and what is not.

This also includes more then just water. Lets take the Cherokee Commercial Click for video The commercial implies that you can offroad and be good to go with no issue. Now if you brake something when you hit those rocks, then the dealer won't cover it under "abuse" They are advertising one thing and doing another.

Quick Reply: Jalopnik reports on a dead jK