Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jalopnik reports on a dead jK

Old 11-25-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is also the reason I am leary about installing a CAI. Seems like you are just asking for something like this to happen.

Can anyone confirm if the JK in the vid had stock airbox or CAI? I would speculate a CAI. Just doesnt seem like even driving through fast that this little amount of water would cause hydrolock.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe the next Wrangler get snorkels by default - I think it would be great, necessary and deserved.

Last edited by Zilon X; 11-25-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It appears to me he entered the water too fast, and the water may have entered the airbox during the first few seconds. He kept going, again at a greater speed than I would have, and most likely sucked the water already in his airbox into the intake, followed by more water as he drove. That is if he still had the stock airbox.
If he had a so called CAI, what in the world was he thinking driving through the water at that speed, or rather why was he not thinking?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Super Freak

It's tough to judge speed from the angle but he seems to be racing through the water and not fording it ...
Old 11-28-2010, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

Exclamation Jeep Boasts About JK Fording on its Twitter

Interesting. Especially when the Jeep official Twitter tweeted for its "pic of the day," was a photo of a "JK Unlimited fording a stream" on September 2, 2010. The link takes you to Jeep's official Facebook fan page; the photo is in Jeep's Facebook album named "Archived Jeep Fan Photos." The Jeep in the photo is in at least the same amount of water that JKTester's Jeep is in in the YouTube video.

I don't know if JKTester has resolved his or her warranty claim, but with...

* Two official Jeep sources (Twitter and Facebook), directing viewers to and displaying a photo of a Jeep waist deep in water.

* With the phrasing "JK Unlimited fording a stream," used by/on Jeep's Official Twitter.

* And with (I would believe) a non-professional driver in the "fan" photo on Jeep's Facebook -- these are presumably the skills of a novice that Jeep supports.

It is implied that Jeep approves, even boasts, of this (fording) practice and automobile capability.

JKTester has a good argument here and I'm sure there are other instances and examples that would support his or her claim if he or she decided to pursue a claim/complaint with higher ranking corporate officials or the Department of Transportation or a lawyer (as a last resort).

Jeep's official Twitter referring viewers to the JK fording water on Sep. 2:
"JK Unlimited fording a stream. http://bit.ly/a2zKVw #picoftheday
3:34 PM Sep 2nd via web
Retweeted by 7 people
"
http://twitter.com/Jeep/status/22831664732

Jeep's official Facebook page and photo of fording JK showcased in Jeep's album:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=464912841514

YouTube video of JKTester's (who is JKTester1 on YouTube) stalled "JK Unlimited fording water," as stated on Jeep's official Twitter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNhpOxVg4r4

JKTester at least has a case.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He entered a bit fast to begin with... However, I've driven through deeper puddles on the road at higher speeds. Indeed, I've forded much deeper water with no ill effects, albeit, very slowly.

Also, his engine cranks normally when he attempts to restart it. Hydro-locked, it would not crank at all (unless he already broke a connecting rod), or it would shear the starter shaft. This does not appear to be a hydro-lock. It takes a significant volume of water to hydro-lock an engine.

When I had my old YJ, I saw a TJ die driving through standing water about a foot deep. He was driving way too fast and everyone thought it was a hydro-lock... That is until we pulled his air filter and found almost no water in the airbox. It died because water contamination in his electronics.

Last edited by Widewing; 11-28-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure where the problem is either .... Completely stock when I did this, but am getting a snorkel just in case.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1555674197.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	105374   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1152155477.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	105376   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-736775875.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	105377  
Old 11-28-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by redjkofdeath
Not sure where the problem is either .... Completely stock when I did this, but am getting a snorkel just in case.
How did you put that jeep hood on your boat? It looks awesome. Haha
Old 11-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Lui
JK Enthusiast

When the streets flood from a downpour I love to plow through the water as others are stuck trying to avoid it. This will probably make me think twice.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNhpOxVg4r4&feature=player_embedded Doesn't seem like that should hydrolock a Jeep, but it's hard to judge his speed from the awful video quality.

One thing is clear: JK's are sensitive to this issue. More than they should be.
If running an aftermarker CAI, this would be very easy to do. BTW, that was not hydrolocked, just stalled in this video. If it were hydrolocked, it would not turn over due to water in the cylinder and it would physically stop the engine from turning over. Trust me..I did this yesterday in a small puddle. When I hit the puddle, a large wall of water came up behind the radiator and totally soaked the engine. I removed the filter and looked inside the intake manifold and it was full of water.I had to remove the whole upper intake manifold and use my shirt to soak the water out of the intake runner. Waiting a few hours allowed the water in the #3, 4 & 5 cylinders to drain into the crank case. Now all I need to do is change the oil and I'm good to go.

Too bad I didn't have a spark plug socket. I could of removed the spark plugs and got the water out a whole lot easier and faster.

When I bought my Jeep it had a home made CAI on it. Basically a coupler, tube and a filter right behind the radiator. Thank GOD I did not hurt my engine. I was very suprised it started up!

As soon as Rugged Ridge gets their snorkel done, I'm getting one!

Quick Reply: Jalopnik reports on a dead jK