Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

jacking up to replace wheels/tires

Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jacking up to replace wheels/tires

Is it OK to jack it up with a floor jack and a piece of wood under the diffs? (to do both rears or fronts at a time) If not what is the recommended way and place to lift it using a floor jack. My new wheels and tires will be here Friday!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:20 PM
JK Junkie

Sor safety sake, please chock the front wheels if you have both rears off the ground!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcc454
Don't really need the wood. It will work in the back but not the front because of the front not being centered on the axle. Just do it one at a time on the front and you should be ok.
what's the best place to jack it on the front?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by falconfixer333
Sor safety sake, please chock the front wheels if you have both rears off the ground!

yeah I got ya there. I do this to put race tires on my GT500, it's quick with both rears off the ground.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

what they said about the front and rear and chocking the wheels, but honestly the safest and best way would be to jack it up using the floor jack and place jack stands under the frame on each side if you are going to be doing anything for any length of time and especially is you are putting bigger tires on....just think of putting all that weight suddenly on one corner and it's only supported at one point, the rounded, not so stable point of the punkin.....not to say i don't do it all the time rotating the tires but that doesn't mean it's safe....
Old 03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKJeremy
not to say i don't do it all the time rotating the tires but that doesn't mean it's safe....
Ah yes, the classic "do as I say, not as I do"

Quick Reply: jacking up to replace wheels/tires