Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

J8 official but not fur U.S.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

c) 0-60 times. In America, everyone wants a quick car, and while the J8 jumps off the line, it is NOT quick past 70 mph. It's a slug. It struggles at 65 actually. But once you get one up to 75 - it will stay there until you hit a hill. Then you are back to 55 or less. Floored.

Disagree, I drove through Italy with my buddy’s 2.8 CRD (vm) and we where at a very comfortable 140 / 150 km with 4 people a dog and loads of diving equipment up and down hills. The J8 has the same engine. It is also faster off the line then my 3.8 and with all the torque you could tow way better than the V6. So kinda disagree with your point C and D.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by somewhere I can't remember
The Jeep J8 will be produced in the Chrysler LLC joint-venture facility in Cairo, Egypt, and will be available beginning in July 2008
No thanks.

Peter R.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I have driven the 2.8 in other vehicles, not5 the J8 - and it was 'ok' - but not breathtaking. I'll agree it will move when up to speed, but then again, the vm in Italy probably is tuned far different than what we would get here.

Any diesel is faster off the line, until Horsepower becomes and issue over torque...

Now as a ROCK Crawler, the 2.8 crd would be awesome. a 2.8 w/a 4:1 transfer case would pull so much it might pull it's frame apart..... (joke ok?)
Old 09-28-2008, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiconRed_Flagstaff
Since I know a bit about the VM Motori engine, I will postulate the following:

The reasons the US wont get one are:

a) High Sulpher in oil Diesel. This clogs injectors, and causes high emissions.

b)It would have to have Urea (Horse Pee Crystals) Injection to get it to comply with US Emissions.

c) 0-60 times. In America, everyone wants a quick car, and while the J8 jumps off the line, it is NOT quick past 70 mph. It's a slug. It struggles at 65 actually. But once you get one up to 75 - it will stay there until you hit a hill. Then you are back to 55 or less. Floored.

d) Towing. Towing is not recommended past 45-50 mph. No screaming down the freeway with that little boat or camper. It's not geared for it, nor does it have that freeway Horsepower.

e) Demand. It will cost in the neighborhood of $3,000 - $3500 US as an option. Cerebus Corp doesn't think the US Buyer will buy one at that price, just to get honked at on the Freeway.

f) Capable 4 wheeler? You bet. This is a monster at 0 - 25 mph. Can't stop it. Would get not bad mileage at freeway speed, but not with the A/C running, camping gear, coolers, kids, 2 dogs and a heavy wife.
You can still sign me up for one.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 PM
JK Newbie

I read somewhere that only emergency services will have access to them, not the public. somebody correct me if I'm wrong?

Last edited by jazsam; 09-30-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Military J8

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/14/j...military-duty/
Old 12-17-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum! If you haven't already, check out the New England Area to meet locals:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/new-england-46/

As for the J8, it's kind of an old topic here. There have been a few other posts on it before.

Quick Reply: J8 official but not fur U.S.