Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I've had it!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyj

Those are the people who feel heroic for .... killing dogs
I have had dogs all my life, rott's to english bullies.. I'd save a dogs life before I save a humans life. Period.

Unfortunately some dogs need to be killled in the performance of my duties. I don't hold the dog responsible, he was just doing what he knows best. But I do hold the owners responsible...

And if a guy in handcuffs is biting, kicking, spitting, headbutting, grabbing etc... I don't care if he is handcuffs, I'm gonna hit him. I've personally seen guys knocked unconcious by guys in handcuffs. I've seen guys slip cuffs to the front and choke others. Hell, I handcuffed myself once to see if I could pick them (Yes, all 3 sets I carry). Handcuffs are temporary restraints, nothing more.

What I find disheartening is that your upset that the cop hit a guy in handcuffs. But your not upset that the guy in handcuffs is kicking at the cop?

This goes back to my dog thing, I love dogs with all my heart, but I place a greater value on my safety than I do the dog. Just like I will always place a greater value on a guy not in handcuffs than I will a guy in handcuffs. Conditioning? Maybe. But each and everyone of us would do the same. I did it in the military, I do it at work, I do it with my buddies....

Originally Posted by rickyj
For those who believe the world is divided into the good (badge) and the evil (no badge) - hopefully you lose that badge because you are plenty evil.
I've never seen that, I have seen however the "If your not with us, your against us" mentality. And good sir, any time your in So. California, I'd love to take you on a ride a long. You may think our job isn't dangerous, and quite frankly it might not be in Colorado, but I think a beat in a real city might change your mind. At the very least broaden your outlook. As for your earlier comment about Columbine, I can guarantee you that same situation duplicated here would be enganged and neautralized within 12 minutes of the original 911 call. And just for referance, it takes 5 minutes from the time you call 911, till the time my radio goes off. Again, it all comes down to location, and what those local agencies deal with, and prepare for, on a daily basis. Los Angeles and Colorado is like comparing Iraq and Canada.

Last edited by 909Rider; 09-20-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Morale of the story is... Always carry a fresh dozen donuts in your jk, you never know when you might need one.

jk...Bottom line is that cops are like everyone else, There are bad ones and good ones. They are in a position of power so bad cops can really abuse their power like this guy did. Unfortunately there isnt a great solution and we need police. Hopefully most of the bad ones get weeded out in the hiring process.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:52 AM
JK Freak

there needs to be a lot of e-cheese to be passed with all this whine....

please take your "cop bashing"and "cop whining" to another thread... ijustwantedtosee what happened.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gijeep
there needs to be a lot of e-cheese to be passed with all this whine....
please take your "cop bashing"and "cop whining" to another thread... ijustwantedtosee what happened.
Sorry, I did a search, couldn't find a thread titled with either of those names.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

hahaha i know exactly why he pulled you over, beacuse he looked at ur jeep and was like wow what a cool guy, dam i wish i could have a jeep like that, and then he keeps looking and starts to get pissed off because he cant make enough money to go buy a jeep so he feels the need to give u a hard time because he doesnt get paid enough so he has to ticket you.

ALSO just a side note a cop has the right to seach ur car if he has a reason too, but if ur glove box or center consul are locked or ur took box for that matter he has no right to go though it unless he has obtains a warrant, and if u are being hassled like that again a good rule of thumb, that i always do is keep a voice recorder in ur car, and "you have to tell the officer u are recording the conversation" and ask for his badge number and name, and for him to explain to u why u are being pulled over, same thing with him searching ur car. if he tries to tell you, that you cant record the conversation dont listen to him cuz you can, and if he gives u a hard time take it to court with you when u fight what ever ticket he gives you.

doesnt help much now, but i am sure you can get the ticket taken care of if u plan on fighting it, which you should i wouldnt be surprised if the prosecutor doesnt just though out the ticket him self. so fight it
Old 09-20-2010, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 909Rider
What I find disheartening is that your upset that the cop hit a guy in handcuffs. But your not upset that the guy in handcuffs is kicking at the cop?
The case I am talking about in particular was a case where the handcuffed person had done nothing. The officer that punched that person has cost our city of a little over 100,000 people (in a metro of millions) over $500,000 in lawsuits do to his improper conduct - and that was BEFORE this incident. He punched the guy, two other cops lied about it - and outside agencies had to get involved. All in all, three public and totally out of line cases involving illegal activity, and police coverups were required before a neighboring counties sheriffs office got involved and made the arrests. Heads are still rolling, but it is up to about 15% of the entire force involved in such serious criminal activity that the DA chose to charge them, or they resigned to avoid prosecution.

Those are bad cops. Period.

I've never seen that, I have seen however the "If your not with us, your against us" mentality. And good sir, any time your in So. California, I'd love to take you on a ride a long. You may think our job isn't dangerous, and quite frankly it might not be in Colorado, but I think a beat in a real city might change your mind. At the very least broaden your outlook. As for your earlier comment about Columbine, I can guarantee you that same situation duplicated here would be enganged and neautralized within 12 minutes of the original 911 call. And just for referance, it takes 5 minutes from the time you call 911, till the time my radio goes off. Again, it all comes down to location, and what those local agencies deal with, and prepare for, on a daily basis. Los Angeles and Colorado is like comparing Iraq and Canada.
Since when is Denver not a "real city?" 3 million people isn't enough to be considered a "city?" For real? Sure, the CSA population may be 6 1/2 times larger in LA but it is hardly like Denver is a podunk backwater.

Along that same line of thought, New York City's CSA is quite a bit larger than that of LA's - but it is statistically a LOT safer. I will easily grant that LA has quite a lot of crime, but I don't know if that is a very good claim to being a "real city." If you chose to use that measurement I guess Detroit would be the realest of the real cities.

And I am not so sure about the claim of the situation being "neutralized within 12 minutes". How long did it take your city to take out two bank robbers? Almost an hour, with shooting all over public streets. The riots took 6 days to control. Surely, this situation has improved since then - but I am guessing a wait and see attitude would take hold at the real moment of truth. However I would love to be proven wrong in the unfortunate chance that type of thing happens there.

You seem like a stand up guy, and if I am ever in LA I would love to take you up on that ride along. I have no doubt that LA has unique and difficult crime problems much different than we have here in Denver. I think you probably have a very difficult job, and I respect you for that. I also think that you probably are NOT the kind of police officer that is going to give somebody a ticket for 1mph speeding just because he can. In simple words, you are a good cop - the kind all should be.

ETA -
I DO NOT get paid to get shot, paid to get stabbed, paid to get beat up, paid to get spit on, etc... I get paid to write criminal reports and arrest bad people.
That is the main point. Bad people.

What is the reasonable level of suspicion that arises due to containers in a vehicle? The laws are in place in order to help ensure proper conduct and behavior. And those laws apply to the police as well.

Although a parked vehicle may be looked into by the police (or anyone) and this is held so by the courts, a police officer may not just randomly check inside of anything they so choose because they find it "suspicious." If you need to open it, it isn't in plain sight and it is protected. A vehicle is private property, and although not as rigidly protected as a permanent dwelling - it remains private property. With no apparent criminal behavior, and no behavior to suggest it may be about to take place - you can look but not touch. That is plenty lined out, and plenty clear. The police officer in the OPs post did not have the right to detain the OP, did not have the right to look inside of anything, and quite frankly shouldn't have asked (lawful or not). The problem with the bad cops is that they are bad cops - they are plenty willing to bust that container open, lie to the OP, and plenty willing to lie in court to justify their actions after the fact.

Last edited by rickyj; 09-20-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone on here who is a cop, no offense to you, and I understand that you are just doing your job, but some of the things that they do is just ridiculous and biased. A few months ago I got a ticket for passing a stopped school bus. I realize this was terrible and I very well should have gotten a ticket. But the part that killed me was that three people behind me went through, and I got the ticket because I drove a Jeep, I guess. I am by no means saying that I have done no wrong, but many cops will pick someone driving a nice jeep instead of someone in a crappy car just for no reason. I as well got a ticket going barely over the speed limit, and with the flow of traffic. Some cops are just rediculous. All i'm saying is I feel your pain. I guess I have finally found a consequnce for driving a jeep.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

you guys make me giggle
jmat stop calling people names (still <3 you tho)

every one else
Officers are like women, you can't like with them, and you can't kill em

I'm sure I can get a few racist jokes in here some where too
Old 09-26-2010, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a house in Great Falls, so I'm up there quite a bit. I share your sentiments. Montana definitely has a "good ol' boy" network of cops.

Quick Reply: I've had it!