Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

It's warming up, break out those soft tops

Old 03-25-2007, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glwood6
Yes, I did do that, and I finally got it to hook. After closing the clamp, however, it seems the front of the fabric top does not seal completely against the rubber on the windshield...do you have a photo of how your top seals? It seems the gap is a little too big to me, but this top is different from previous versions, and I am not sure...

glwood
I take it you're referring to the gap between the front of the seal to the top, but the top does rest and seal against the seal. I measured the gap between the front of the seal and the top, and in the middle it was precisely a 5/16" gap. A little too much IMO, however, we just had a good downpouring, and it did not leak.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by histrung
I take it you're referring to the gap between the front of the seal to the top, but the top does rest and seal against the seal. I measured the gap between the front of the seal and the top, and in the middle it was precisely a 5/16" gap. A little too much IMO, however, we just had a good downpouring, and it did not leak.
Specifically, I was referring to the gap between the front of the top fabric and the rubber 'ridge' on the front of the windshield header rubber...sounds like your gap is the same as mine, and mine does not leak, either, went through a pretty good downpour Thursday...it just looks funny to me.

I went by the dealership, and all the other soft top JKs are the same, so I'm supposing that's just how they're supposed to be.

glwood
Old 05-02-2007, 02:55 AM
JK Freak

Sunny and close to 90 every day for the next 5 days here in Tampa Bay so I decided to totally remove the soft top. Not just pull it down, but totally remove it. It looks a lot better that way
Old 05-02-2007, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

Default Just a note of Caution...

The rear door frames for the Unlimited have a tab the attaches at the rear of the front door with the middle screw( the short one). Be careful with it as they break quite easily. ( From experience) I wish they were metal vs plastic.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by osclib2
My big problem is the two plastic parts that hold the rear window bar in. These are the hook shaped pieces that attach to the body on either side of the back swing gate. Every time I try to tuck in the sail panels in underneath them they pop off! Is there something I am missing?

Did you ever figure this out, I am having the same problem...

thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 02:55 PM
CPB
JK Newbie

65* today in RI. Decided to take off the hard top with the intention of removing the soft top and reattaching the hard top.

The hard top comes off easily and directions are hardly needed. Ended up putting up the soft top just to get acquainted with it.

Damn! not an easy task. Instructions rate out at fair. Not the easiest thing I've ever done. Just going to leave the soft top up for the rest of winter. Look forward to trying the sunrider feature.

Rain tomorrow. Hope it does not leak.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CPB

Rain tomorrow. Hope it does not leak.
It prob will. Sorry but almost ever ones does. Just be prepared for it
Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

My soft top doesnt leak. Had the sun rider open today. What a great feature, much easier than putting down the top and you still get that open air feeling. Cant wait to put the top down though.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rm1515
Did you ever figure this out, I am having the same problem...

thanks
Had my JK for a year now and those two clips are my biggest, and really only complaint. It's actually only one of them but I usually have to apply pressure to the front of it while I hook it up.

Also I reccommend unzipping your rear window and allowing it to rest in the cargo area. It rubs when you roll it up and it may leave marks.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:05 AM
CPB
JK Newbie

Drove into work this morning in the rain. No leaks.

Been raining VERY heavily for the last 2 hours. Went out to check for leaks. Didn't see any.

Quick Reply: It's warming up, break out those soft tops