Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

It's warming up, break out those soft tops

Old 03-12-2007, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's warming up, break out those soft tops

It was a balmy 70* today so I decided to ditch the hard top and put the soft top on. We all know that taking the hard top off is a piece of cake, especially if you have someone to help you lift it off. The soft top is a freakin' pain in the ass!

Installing it isn't that bad, but if you follow the manual when it comes to putting the top up, it ain't going to happen with one person. I don't see how it's possible to stand on the side of the Jeep and get the top mounted into that channel above the rear doors without the other side coming off. Here's what I figured out while putting the top on.

When it comes time to slide the top into the channels above the rear doors, it's A LOT easier to stand up on the back seat, grab the bar, slide one side in, then do the other. You can actually reach both sides this way. Slide it forward till it locks. This turns what is a two person job into a one person job.

When you pull the front of the top up to the windshield, make sure all the plastic tabs on the sides are out of the way.

At least when the top is new, the front has to be latched before you can tuck the sail panels in. It is a really tight fit. I'm planning on leaving the top up for a couple of weeks, hopefully it will stretch out a little.

Last edited by Scooter_Trash; 03-12-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

I pulled my top down yesterdat for the first time, SUNSCREEN...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

I tried the soft top for the the first time on Sunday and, after fooling around with it about three times, got to the point where I can now take it down and put it back up without assistance. I don't stand in the Jeep. I'm able to lift the top from the driver's side.

The only problem I had was folding the top properly to get it to lay flat when down. I figured out that I had been folding it improperly while in the sunrider "sunroof" position. I had been folding the fabric with the "W" oriented in the wrong direction. That explains why the fabric was hanging down in the backseat.

I can get the top into sunroof position in about 2 minutes, including the rolled up back window.

I can get the top all the way down in about 5 minutes. It takes about 7 minutes for me to put the top up from the full down position.

All told, it was easier than I thought it would be.

Last edited by farbuckle; 03-13-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

Ok firemedic. Since you are a fellow forum member I'll share the best soft top tip there is. Make your changes during the warmest part of the day in direct sunlight. Direct sunlight really is the key. Although I will confess the top is pretty darn tight the first couple of times you mess with it. Kinda takes me back to prom nigh... eh er oh I drifted off there.
Anyway the channel is easy to hit after you've gone through the process a few times. You really only have to hit the one on your side of the jeep. The other will fall into the channel naturally. I've done the jeep hard top thing & it's no walk in the park. Purely from a weight & awkwardness standpoint, the soft top will take less out of you. I'll grant you there's more flaps & zippers, tabs & velcro to mess with. Your worst enemy will be those plastic tabs over the front windows. they will break in after a while though.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

My big problem is the two plastic parts that hold the rear window bar in. These are the hook shaped pieces that attach to the body on either side of the back swing gate. Every time I try to tuck in the sail panels in underneath them they pop off! Is there something I am missing?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Default 1st time soft top

It was a 70+ degree day here in Albuquerque, so I took down the hard top, proceeded to install soft top for the first time. I did it during the warmest part of the day, in full sunlight, but could NOT get that soft top all the way forward in order to hook the windshield clamps...any suggestions? I came within 1/2 inch, but could not get that last forward push...help...by the way, this is a measly 2 door top, not that behemoth 4 door, so shouldn't it be somewhat easier? I've put two brand new tops onto TJ's, and never was completely defeated by a fabric top before...

glwood
Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glwood6
It was a 70+ degree day here in Albuquerque, so I took down the hard top, proceeded to install soft top for the first time. I did it during the warmest part of the day, in full sunlight, but could NOT get that soft top all the way forward in order to hook the windshield clamps...any suggestions? I came within 1/2 inch, but could not get that last forward push...help...by the way, this is a measly 2 door top, not that behemoth 4 door, so shouldn't it be somewhat easier? I've put two brand new tops onto TJ's, and never was completely defeated by a fabric top before...

glwood
You pulled the handle portion of the clamp away from the hook so that it extends the reach about another 1/2 inch, right? I didn't realize this at first when I put my soft top on for the first time...
Old 03-21-2007, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by histrung
You pulled the handle portion of the clamp away from the hook so that it extends the reach about another 1/2 inch, right? I didn't realize this at first when I put my soft top on for the first time...
Yes, I did do that, and I finally got it to hook. After closing the clamp, however, it seems the front of the fabric top does not seal completely against the rubber on the windshield...do you have a photo of how your top seals? It seems the gap is a little too big to me, but this top is different from previous versions, and I am not sure...

glwood
Old 03-24-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Which way is best when rolling up the rear window? I rolled mine up for the first time today by rolling it inward. It hung fine, but there was still some rubbing and some light marks/scratches in the plastic.

I've also had some difficulty keeping the driver's-side side window in place in the left-rear door jamb; the wind keeps snatching it out and it starts to flap.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ventura911
Which way is best when rolling up the rear window? I rolled mine up for the first time today by rolling it inward. It hung fine, but there was still some rubbing and some light marks/scratches in the plastic.

I've also had some difficulty keeping the driver's-side side window in place in the left-rear door jamb; the wind keeps snatching it out and it starts to flap.
I don't know about the rolling rear window. I just zip it around and let it drape into the cargo area.

The side windows on the other hand, the front plastic piece is L shaped. It should hook into a slot that points rearward and then get locked in by the rear door. It's easy to just set it in without putting it in the slot.

Quick Reply: It's warming up, break out those soft tops