Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

It's not a truck!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A sport utility vehicle (SUV) is a generic marketing term for a vehicle similar to a station wagon, but built on a light-truck chassis. Usually equipped with four-wheel drive for on- or off-road ability, and with some pretension or ability to be used as an off-road vehicle, some SUVs include the towing capacity of a pickup truck with the passenger-carrying space of a minivan or large sedan. Since SUVs are considered light trucks and often share the same platforms of pick-ups, they are regulated less strictly than passenger cars under the two laws in the United States, the Energy Policy and Conservation Act for fuel economy, and the Clean Air Act for emissions.

The term is not used in all countries, and outside North America the terms "off-road vehicle", "four-wheel drive" or "four-by-four" (abbreviated to "4WD" or "4x4") or simply use of the brand name to describe the vehicle like "Jeep" or "Land Rover" are more common. However, not all SUVs have four-wheel drive capabilities. Conversely, not all four-wheel-drive passenger vehicles are SUVs. Off-road vehicle is a broad class of vehicles, built primarily for off-road use. However, this distinction is often not made by the general public and the media. Although some SUVs have off-road capabilities, they often play only a secondary role, and SUVs often do not have the ability to switch among two-wheel and four-wheel-drive high gearing and four-wheel-drive low gearing. While auto makers tout an SUV's off-road prowess with advertising and naming, the daily use of SUVs is largely on paved roads and in urban areas.

The traditional truck-based SUV is gradually being supplanted by a new vehicle type, the crossover SUV, which uses a car-based platform for lighter weight and better fuel efficiency, as a response to much of the criticism of sport utility vehicles.

Although designs vary, SUVs have historically been mid-size passenger vehicles with a body-on-frame chassis similar to that found on light trucks.

Most SUVs are designed with an engine compartment, a combined passenger and cargo compartment, and no dedicated trunk such as in a station wagon body. Most mid-size and full-size SUVs have two or three rows of seats with a cargo area directly behind the last row of seats.

SUVs are known for high ground clearance, upright, boxy body, and high H-point. This can make them more likely to roll over due to their high center of gravity. Bodies of SUVs have recently become more aerodynamic, but the sheer size and weight keeps their fuel economy poor.

Early SUVs were descendants from commercial and military vehicles such as the World War II Jeep and Land Rover. SUVs have been popular for many years with rural buyers due to their off-road capabilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_utility_vehicle

Cliff Notes: A JK is a truck-based, body-on-frame SUV.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Insulted

I drove up to a friend's house with the top down, covered in mud and his mom commented "What kind of car is that? It looks like a 'baby hummer'!"
I wanted to run her over.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Jeep registration reads 'station wagon' so did my 88 4Runner. If it was a truck, the registration fees would be higher.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by debsJK
Awesome! My 11 yr old thinks she is getting my jeep when she turns 16...not so sure on that! Although someone at work called my Jeep a Hummer...I wanted to beat her. I simply said dont mistake my Awesome Jeep for a crap hummer! Apparently I need more mods!

You really think that this is a piece of crap..????

Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's not a truck!

It's not even winter time and we have debates like this already. Just go wheel!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

To get this back on track...

Having a kid in February and I sincerely hope that I will be able to train it as well as you have!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She called you out on your man-purse! Thats gold.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome! Similair story here with my 2 year old. We were on vacation and a 5 year old boy was playing with jeep die cast, driving all over calling it an SUV. He holds it up to my daughter and said proudly "This is an SUV!". She looked blankly at him and said "Jeep, it's a Jeep".

Proud daddy moments
Old 10-01-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FlameRed
To get this back on track...

Having a kid in February and I sincerely hope that I will be able to train it as well as you have!
Congrats! And for the record, I don't remember ever correcting her. She knew it was a Jeep from the moment we bought it! My other daughter yelled "That's my Jeep!" to all of her friends for the first week I had it. Natural born Jeepsters
Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NormalJeep
Awesome! Similair story here with my 2 year old. We were on vacation and a 5 year old boy was playing with jeep die cast, driving all over calling it an SUV. He holds it up to my daughter and said proudly "This is an SUV!". She looked blankly at him and said "Jeep, it's a Jeep".

Proud daddy moments

Quick Reply: It's not a truck!