Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

It's not a hummer

Old 03-14-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question It's not a hummer

I'm amazed at how many people think my 4 door JK is a hummer. And it's not just girls. Even guys can't figure it out. I think girls get a pass because they don't even pay attention to vehicles on the road, but a friend of mine actually got in the jeep for the first time and halfway to our destination, he says "Hey this is nice. What is this? A hummer?"

So my question to you is, what can I do to get the point across that this is not a hummer? (I'm not going to slap some ghey bumper sticker on it).

I think part of the problem is because mine is all black. I think the two tone of the black top and another color probably set the others apart and make them more distinguishable.

Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's so painfully obviously a Jeep from the front, but I can see some similarities in the rear from the profile. They are both very square at the rear. I think that's what throws people. I don't really look at it as an insult, as they are both American made. It is kinda stupid, though.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

My next door neighbor came out of his house just as I pulled into my driveway coming home from picking up my JK from the dealer. First thing he said was "it looks like a Hummer".

If looks could kill...
Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had this happen several times, especially in the parking lot at work. People think it is an H3 or something. I have to be careful not to snap at them. It ticks me off to say the least.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by drgreybow
I'm amazed at how many people think my 4 door JK is a hummer. And it's not just girls. Even guys can't figure it out. I think girls get a pass because they don't even pay attention to vehicles on the road
A bit sexist don't you think?

There are plenty of girls on this forum that know Jeeps from Hummers.

My Ex drives a 69 Bronco that is Baddass. She knew her stuff. I miss that truck.

Hell, even my wife can tell the difference between Jk's, TJ's, Hummers, Bronco's etc and she is the girliest girl I know.

As far as the topic is concerned... Who cares? We know the difference right?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remove the doors and top... thats a dead give away its not a hummer. i had people pull up next to me in their h3 last summer, and give a good look over of my jeep, roll the window down and compliment it and will say "nice jeep".
Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sully151
Yeah, we know the difference but it helps to vent about it here instead of on somebody's head.

My neighbor probably wouldn't like me calling his Acura a Honda.

Last edited by priell3; 03-14-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sully151
A bit sexist don't you think?

There are plenty of girls on this forum that know Jeeps from Hummers.

My Ex drives a 69 Bronco that is Baddass. She knew her stuff. I miss that truck.

Hell, even my wife can tell the difference between Jk's, TJ's, Hummers, Bronco's etc and she is the girliest girl I know.

I have no doubt there are plenty of girls on a Jeep JK forum that know the difference between a JK and a hummer. But if you were able to poll the general population, i would bet the vast majority of women wouldn't know the difference between a jk and hummer.

So in response to your questions:

1. It's only sexist if it's not true.
2. I care and I think a lot of others do as well because we have to explain what kind of vehicle it is. Also most JK'ers aren't particularly fond of being associated with hummers.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree remove the top and doors and you can never mistake this jeep for a hummer.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with the top off you will still get the Hummer comment, some people just don't know.
I had a guy approach me in the gas station to ask about my Jeep, when he asked what year, I told him 07...he said I thought they quit making wranglers years ago... the proceded to tell me about his 4 door wrangler he had in the 80's that his wife made him sell.
Like I said, some people just don't know any better.
Another way to look at it, at least they are showing interest... how many other vehicles invoke any comment or response from other people?

Quick Reply: It's not a hummer