Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Issues w/ 2012 JKU Not Resolved

Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Issues w/ 2012 JKU Not Resolved

So this is the e-mail I sending to Sales Manager, Service department, and Chrysler.

5/7/2012 - Came in for an oil change (3009 mi) and let them know about two other issues. Oil change did not occur as we decided it would be best to fix everything at once.
1. At highway speeds there is a very high whistle sound (air leak) on the right side of the windshield. This happens whether or not the windows are down or up. Even with the volume at max level, you can still hear the whistle noise.
2. The brakes were already squeaking very loudly when I come to a stop.

Service department let me know that there is a factory recall on the brake brackets and needed to be replaced. They put in an order that day. Service also determined that it was only the right rear brake brackets that needed to be replaced. They also explained the air leak, and they need to bring a body shop in to use protection foam to fix it.

5/17/2012

Carol from the service department let me know earlier in the week that the brake parts have arrived and are ready to be exchanged. Went in to find out that there was only 1 bracket in the box, and not 2, so they couldn't be replaced. The mechanic did not check the box until it was time to swap them out. At this time, service also informed me that there was a nation wide recall on brake pads for the 2012 Wrangler. The protection foam for the air leak had also not arrived and the body shop was not available to fix my issue. An oil change was done at this time. My car was in the service for 8 hour oil change on a Saturday.

In between this time, two more issues occurred.
1. Warning for the gas cap came on while driving to work. When car was parked, gas cap was securely tightened and not disconnected.
2. When reversing the car in the morning, and then putting it into drive, there is a horribly loud creaking sound when turning the steering wheel. This sound also occurs on the floor of the driver side when the car goes over bumps. Sounds like the body is actually turning or something.

7/14/2012

After an almost two month wait for the brake pads to arrive from Chrysler (btw service said that I was on a "high priority" list), the brake pads and brackets were replaced on the right rear brake. Service also said that the body shop used the protection foam and the air leak has been fixed. Service took the car for a test drive and assured me that both issues were fixed. When I arrived at the dealership, I decided to take the car for a test drive myself. When I got on the highway, the air leak still occurred and there was no noticeable improvement. Initially, it seemed as though the brakes stopped squeaking. Well, after driving the car for only 3 days, I can assure you that it is not fixed. The brakes still squeak when coming to a stop and there is no noticeable improvement. They checked the gas cap issue and said since it was an aftermarket gas cap, this would happen from time to time. Wasn't this gas cap purchased from Mopar?
Is my car a lemon? Is this service department incapable of repairing these issues? What should I do?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks!!

Can anyone recommend a dealership in the Northern California area?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

I'm very happy with service manager Jason @ Normandin in San Jose.

Had a few issues they did me right on:
- chipped window 1.5 weeks after getting 2012 JKU and they comped the glass chip repair
- rattle in steering wheel near horn - replaced air bag assembly
- softtop leaks on old 2007 JK, repaired on 2nd attempt

Quick Reply: Issues w/ 2012 JKU Not Resolved