Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Ipass

Old 11-26-2007, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul R
Mine is located at the bottom of the windshield on the passenger side behind the tweeter. Much less noticable there and works great. I did have it up behind the mirror, but it stuck out like a sore thumb when looking at the Jeep from the front.

Also a tip...my toll tag was white and I have a black JK. I took a black permanent marker and colored the tag black. Now it blends in much better with the Jeep and is less noticeable.
Mine seems to work lower rather than higher up. So I may be ok.

Thanks for the idea w/ the Sharpie though. Good tip!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

I have a bumper mount transponder for E-470 and the HOV lanes here in Denver. When you add a vehicle to your account, there's a radio button for selecting windshield or bumper mount. It's shipped with "security" torx bolts to attach it to the bumper.

Mine works about 3/4 of the time. The other 1/4 of the time is a "VTOLL" where they captured my license plate with the toll violation equipment, looked up the plate, and made the connection to my account (instead of sending me a ticket).

-Glen
Old 11-27-2007, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rear License Plate mount?

Has anyone with a license plate mounted transponder tried mounting it to the rear license plate? Less likely to get damaged there but I wonder if it will register.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an EZ-Pass mounted up to the right of my rear-view mirror as well.. and before I mounted it, hit it with some black spraypaint for plastic.

I tried to go through a toll booth and it wouldn't register..

At first I thought the paint had blocked the signal.. but then my troubleshooting discovered it was mounted upside down (rotated 180°, but screen side still on screen side)

I fixed that, but haven't hit a toll booth since.

Now I read that some of you are having problems with it mounted in that location, which may have been my original problem as well.

Now I have some trials and errors to check out.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Found an ezpass holder in bed bath & beyond shopping for my wife. It's black and is held on by suction cups. No more glued Velcro strips. They have white plastic holders too. It was $5 but I never liked putting the those glue strips on the glass anyway. The transponder slides right in and you can take it out if you need to.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inajeep
Found an ezpass holder in bed bath & beyond shopping for my wife. It's black and is held on by suction cups. No more glued Velcro strips. They have white plastic holders too. It was $5 but I never liked putting the those glue strips on the glass anyway. The transponder slides right in and you can take it out if you need to.
I have and use the same thing, the EXPass lives in the glovebox til i need it then I just suction cup it to the windshield behind the rearview mirror. Never had an issue.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
must be nice to be able to do that. Down here, the actual pass is just a bit thicker than tape, and it is actually just a piece of stick on tape and can not be removed in one piece. You have to purchase a new one if you buy a vehicle- each one is assigned to a specific vehicle, and the license plate of the vehicle is scanned as you go thru. If the tag and the license plate don't match, they mail you a fine. They did this so people can buy one tag and use it in multiple cars
E-470 was talking about offering the sticker-type transponder here in Colorado as an option for convertibles and motorcycles a few years back but it never went anywhere. Our window and bumper mount transponders are assigned to a specific vehicle, but you can change that vehicle at any time using the E-470 website.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had originally mounted mine on teh windshield behind the rearview where it worked in every other vehilce that I've owned but, for some reason, it wouldn't read there. My dealer had given me a black pouch with suction cups to mount on the windshield so I place the noticably white EZ-pass in teh black pouch and mount it at eh based of teh windshield. It is now less noticable b\c the black pouch blends in with the dash and I can easily take it with me, if necessary.