Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Which Intake should I buy? Veterans please help!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Intake should I buy? Veterans please help!

I have the Superchip Programmer on the way and I want to run it as performance but have heard I need to add an intake to do so. Fuel economy and extra kick are my selling points. I also want something that isn't going to allow water to get into the engine under normal Jeeping circumstances. I dont go in deep water ever but do play in the mud from time to time. What is going to be the best for highway fuel economy and off the line pick-up when combined with the Flashpaq? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you are adding a snorkel they are all fairly similar in design. So for water resistance I doubt it matters much which brand you get. I have the Airraid and superchips and they work great in my opinion. Beware that the new intake will likely change the sound of the jeep. When I first installed mine my wife was a bit upset, but I thought it was a plus. (I told her to drive real slow and she would hear the new intake)
Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Haha Classic! I am sure I will love the sound personally! I am 26 and not married so nothing to worry about there.. I have heard of a few people mentioning Airraid and also the Brute Force.. K&N.. So many to choose from I just want to get the right one. What kind of mileage are you getting? and do you have an auto or 6-speed? Just curious what mileage I can expect.. I am averaging 13.2 currently :(
Old 04-13-2010, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

I have read alot about them and am noticing that the Brute Force brags that it doesn't ever need oiled. Is that the case with the Airraid as well? The Airrade system says it can produce more hp than what the Brute says. I am up in the air on this one guys!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 PM
JK Super Freak

If you are worried about water, I would not run an CAI. Unless you are very careful, it is too easy to suck water into your engine. I am using my stock air box and an AFE filter that does not require oil.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Saw an older post that mentions an S&B CIA and it looks more water resistant because it is enclosed. I have read about drop-ins too but not sure if they would even make a difference?!?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are considering a CAI...pick up a pre-filter it is somewhat water repellent (Not water proof) and it helps extend cleaning of the filter.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Airaid does not need to be oiled regualarly, but it can be cleaned and reoiled after some huge number of miles or if it starts to get too dirty. All in all it is not even close to what a normal air filter would require for maintenance.

MPG is another thing. I have goofed around so much with my jeep. I have 4.88 gears and 33 inch tires and am runing the superchips on performance (premium gas). Its my simulation of a bigger faster engine. I also have been on a lot of trails lately and have quite a few freeway miles to boot, so my mpg is questionable. If I believe the stock fuel mileage computer (which I know is wrong) it says I am around 15 to 16 mpg. Less if I am offroad a lot.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

i noticed a little power boost form my air aid and my mbrp. the only down fall to a CAI is that there noise makers . i can vouch that the exhaust intake and flashpaq make my jeep very drivable now
Old 04-14-2010, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to run a K&N filter on my previous vehicles (Honda Civic & Chevy S10). It was great for them. For the Jeep and where I wheel (mostly dusty desert), I went with an AEM Brute Force with a pre-filter. I just felt that an oiled filter and silty dust won't go too great together.

Quick Reply: Which Intake should I buy? Veterans please help!